Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are prices going up/down in your part of Spain?

Wikiposts

Are prices going up/down in your part of Spain?

Old Mar 30th 2014, 7:20 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are prices going up/down in your part of Spain?

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
Prices have gone down in our village. Loads of bars/restaurants have "special" nights. €5 for a main meal. €1 for a wine and a tapa. Happy hour €1 for a wine. Nothing like this 8 years ago.
Desperation.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 8:01 am
Just Joined

aggboloke is an unknown quantity at this point

beer Anstel: 1/3 in all bars zaragoza. 1 €
Old Mar 30th 2014, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
Desperation.
Struggling to survive, although not too sure what the quality of the tapa and a wine for €1 is. If you split it 50/50, just over 80p, so around 40p for a tapa and 40p for the wine. Either someone is losing money or the quality is questionable.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 8:19 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't noticed much difference here in the past 5 years, although taxes have increased significantly.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 8:30 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Since Dick will not divulge exactly where he is (which is fair enough) then we have to take his observations with a large pinch of salt.
I am truly AMAZED that yourself and jonboy are not aware of numerous widespread cases similar to this which have been well publicised in the Spanish media during the past two or three years.

http://www.scmp.com/news/world/artic...laundering-mob

Apart from which you don't need to spend much time amongst Spanish communities to get their take on what's happening on a fairly broad scale across the country these days.

You really need to move outside the tiny bubble of your fantasy Spanish world a bit more Stevie or is it yet another case of preferring to burying your head in the sand ?

Another take on the widespread scam which of course could not be carried out without a fair bit of insider dealing by like minded Spanish.
All types of business are fair game for exploitation.

http://www.presseurop.eu/en/content/...e-within-state.

No doubt the Chinese mafia have found the Spanish corruption culture to be like home from home.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Mar 30th 2014 at 8:43 am. Reason: add on
Old Mar 30th 2014, 8:42 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Struggling to survive, although not too sure what the quality of the tapa and a wine for €1 is. If you split it 50/50, just over 80p, so around 40p for a tapa and 40p for the wine. Either someone is losing money or the quality is questionable.
Also considering that 21% of that is tax.

Frankly, I don't know how small bars and restaurants survive here without having 2 sets of books.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 8:53 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how they afford to buy a book

Last few years, rents up, IVA up, Leccy up, water bills up. I bet the breweries have increased their beer during the past 5 years too. Most small bars seem to only have 10 clients...if they are lucky. Would anyone on this forum work for that
Old Mar 30th 2014, 9:01 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo

Last few years, rents up, IVA up, Leccy up, water bills up. I bet the breweries have increased their beer during the past 5 years too. Most small bars seem to only have 10 clients...if they are lucky. Would anyone on this forum work for that
Never mind the two sets of books needed.

My OH said that the busiest bars that have the cheapest food are in the most danger, the incoming cash does not cover the expenses, as they need quite a lot of staff, and loads have so many debts with suppliers that they have started to buy water and such from the supermarkets.

A cousin of mine has lost so many clients (he delivers refrescos) because they cant afford a delivery, so they buy the stock day to day, and there seems to be a lend and borrow scheme between bars for spirits and beer.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 7:09 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Also considering that 21% of that is tax.

Frankly, I don't know how small bars and restaurants survive here without having 2 sets of books.
IVA on bar take is 10%. And bars definitely have two sets of books.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

According to financial pundits, deflation is the next big risk for Europe (including Spain).

Are prices generally going down? Not just talking about shopping, eating out or the electric bill - could be house prices or hired help rates.
Depends what you are talking about

The only think that has gone up sice 2007 is utlitities prices. Everything else is more or less the same.

There are more sales in the shops. So if you go at the right time you can get 50% of good quality clothes, Hugo Boss, Diesel, Caramelo etc. But if you go at the wrong time then a pair of shoes sets you back the best part of 200 euros (I am talking about Oviedo here)

Ditto in Oviedo a canya is 2.10 euros but has been for years now, a good menu del dia is around 10-12 euros. House prices and rents are down from peak, although most people still havent reduced their prices so nothing is shifting

I would say car prices are down slightly and you can negotiate a good deal at the dealerships
Old Mar 30th 2014, 8:33 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I am truly AMAZED that yourself and jonboy are not aware of numerous widespread cases similar to this which have been well publicised in the Spanish media during the past two or three years.

http://www.scmp.com/news/world/artic...laundering-mob

Apart from which you don't need to spend much time amongst Spanish communities to get their take on what's happening on a fairly broad scale across the country these days.

You really need to move outside the tiny bubble of your fantasy Spanish world a bit more Stevie or is it yet another case of preferring to burying your head in the sand ?

Another take on the widespread scam which of course could not be carried out without a fair bit of insider dealing by like minded Spanish.
All types of business are fair game for exploitation.

http://www.presseurop.eu/en/content/...e-within-state.

No doubt the Chinese mafia have found the Spanish corruption culture to be like home from home.
As I keep saying, I can back up my words. I am not saying there are people struggling (just like I knew people who ended up homeless back in the UK). Just that in Madrid there are also plenty of people with disposible income. If anyone likes they can check out the brunch places in Madrid at weekends - places like Carmencita, El Ferry or Roll Madrid, that get packed, despite charging between 15 and 20 euros.
Or failing that, take a look next time Atletico Madrid or Real Madrid play in the European Champions League at home. You will see stadiums packed with 60 - 90,000 people. Who have either paid 70-160 euros on the day, or have bought a season ticket earlier costing thousands.
If you deny there are people with disposible income, and try and push this "acopalypse" myth, you are fooling no-one.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

If you deny there are people with disposible income, and try and push this "acopalypse" myth, you are fooling no-one.
The truth is somewhere between the two

If you look beyong the top 3, then attendances in La Liga are terrible. They have dropped tremendously over the past few years. They are equivalent to League 1 (the third division!) in the UK

Getafe and Osasuna sometimes only have 5,000 people watching!

It is because the clubs have not reduced their prices. They should be charging 20 euros per game

One club who gets it right is Malaga CF. A season ticket is 300 euros per year and a match ticket 22 euros, which is reasonable and means that their stadium is usually full. However, this is how much a Conference semi-professional team charge in the UK!
Old Mar 30th 2014, 8:42 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Rents up?
Are you kidding?
As for the 10 clients jibe, that certainly doesn't apply here in Madrid - where are you taking about? A small farming village?
I think I've mentioned before, a big earner for the established bars is the morning coffee trade. There may only appear to be 6 or 7 customers in at one time, but the movement in and out is brisk with a turnover every few minutes, and the bar staff are constanly serving up coffees, churros, croissaants and even the odd carajillo.
A friend of mine set up a wine bar in Lavapies just last October. He knows his wine and has quickly built up a good crowd of locals and tourists (he's not too far from the Reina Sofia, and so a lot of Airbnb flats are rented out there). In fact his problem is he's been a little too busy, and he's found it hard to retain staff. Personally I think he should have higher prices on his wines, but it's not really down to me to tell him how to run his business. He obviously knows a lot more than me. But his problem is he's overworking himself, and I hope he gets some stable staff in, so he can ease off a bit.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 8:51 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Depends what you are talking about

The only think that has gone up sice 2007 is utlitities prices. Everything else is more or less the same.

There are more sales in the shops. So if you go at the right time you can get 50% of good quality clothes, Hugo Boss, Diesel, Caramelo etc. But if you go at the wrong time then a pair of shoes sets you back the best part of 200 euros (I am talking about Oviedo here)

Ditto in Oviedo a canya is 2.10 euros but has been for years now, a good menu del dia is around 10-12 euros. House prices and rents are down from peak, although most people still havent reduced their prices so nothing is shifting

I would say car prices are down slightly and you can negotiate a good deal at the dealerships
As I said may seem good but not good for Spain or the Eurozone long term. Read agoreira link...Spain is a mess.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/francesc...power-of-talk/
Old Mar 30th 2014, 9:02 pm
Not Banned (yet)

As I said may seem good but not good for Spain or the Eurozone long term. Read agoreira link...Spain is a mess.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/francesc...power-of-talk/
heh - pretty poor article, starts off by claiming deflation for Spain is a real risk, and by the end admits that they may never be in that boat.

Remember that:
Exports have been increasing, and expected to keep on increasing..
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...es-repeat.html
Tourist numbers continue to rise
http://elpais.com/elpais/2014/03/27/...42_108783.html
Foreign investments in Spain are increasing and this will thankfully drive job creation
http://www.staffingindustry.com/eng/...creation-29442
No wonder there is renewed optimism around, and the number of cars bought is increasing.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/0...A2H0N020140318
European car sales rose 7.6 percent in February, as a gradual economic recovery in Portugal, Spain and Italy boosted demand for mass-market brands, industry data showed on Tuesday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.