Prescriptions

Old Aug 11th 2006, 6:43 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prescriptions

Originally Posted by jdr
I cant see them doing that, it would cost them a fortune in credits, be nice though
I know, butl who knows ... the government works in strange ways ... but its what they are officially telling people now who want to pay vol contributions, and they say they are also aware it will cause some grief because of the people who are already paying these contributions.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Sir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjh
We're not over 60 so I don't know whether they are free for the over 60's but you first need to sign with the equivalent of an NHS Doctor. You can check that when you sign. Prescription medicines are very cheap though. Prior to signing with a Doctor my husband's blood pressure tablets cost almost 20 Euros a month. Now he gets two months for a little over 3 Euros. It has to be worth it.

Good luck.
Hi i saw your post and wonder what the tablets were your husband has as i am on atenanol 50mg,can these be got over in spain easily and if so what are the cost per packet of 28 or 56.

paris
Old Aug 14th 2006, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I saw articles in the British press a few weeks ago about the proposal to reduce the number of years needed to 'earn' a full state pension to 30 years (for both men and women). I'll be delighted if it comes to pass as I've already got more than 30 years in, but can't understand how it will be affordable when the government has been telling us for years that we'll all have to work until we're 70 at least to be able to afford to retire.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 9:02 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I saw articles in the British press a few weeks ago about the proposal to reduce the number of years needed to 'earn' a full state pension to 30 years (for both men and women). I'll be delighted if it comes to pass as I've already got more than 30 years in, but can't understand how it will be affordable when the government has been telling us for years that we'll all have to work until we're 70 at least to be able to afford to retire.
There is also a huge number of people currently retired and getting a reduced pension due to a inadequate contributions record (predominately women).

If their pensions were not adjusted upwards to reflect the 30 year rule there would be riots!
Old Aug 14th 2006, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Prescriptions

Hi LynnR & Fred,

I bet the same article also said that the state pension age for men & women is to be equalised at 67. This will take place over a number of years in stages ending I think in 2020.

The equalisation also includes the proposal to reduce the number of qualifying years but that does not start until 2012 and I have not seen anywhere that it will be retrospective.

Fred my wife is one of those who gets reduced state pension because we did not react to some changes made in 1977 when she was out of the job market and we did not find out about. We appealed all the way to the commissioners but to no avail. I think if we went to Europe on Human Rights grounds we would win and it would benefit lots of others who lost out when "Home Responsibility Allowance" was introduced. However we have other things to occupy us at the moment but someone perhaps backed by say Age Concern should fight it all the way it would make a big difference for some.

Regards,

John.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Again,

Had a dig round on the DWP website and found this quote;

Edit because of copyright.... please only post a link to the artical

There is also a very informative graph which shows that only 20% of women retiring in 2005 will draw a full state pension.

It does not seem to indicate to me that it will help those already in receipt of a pension.

Regards,

John
Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi LynnR & Fred,
The equalisation also includes the proposal to reduce the number of qualifying years but that does not start until 2012 and I have not seen anywhere that it will be retrospective.

Last edited by jdr; Aug 14th 2006 at 1:51 pm. Reason: Copyright
Old Aug 14th 2006, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Yes John you are right, the article did refer to the state pension age being equalised at 67 by 2020.

But if the 30 year qualification rule is fully implemented by 2012, I will still get my full state pension in 2016 when I am 65, even if I stop paying NI contributions this year at age 50 which I hope to do.

Won't it be nice to come out on the right side of one of these changes for once - I only just missed out on being able to claim my state pension at 60.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 1:20 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paris hilton
Hi i saw your post and wonder what the tablets were your husband has as i am on atenanol 50mg,can these be got over in spain easily and if so what are the cost per packet of 28 or 56.

paris
Most medications can be obtained easily, and are often surprisingly cheap. We were told that a months supply of thyroxine would cost about €3, I had to get some treatment for my kitten, and was given a prescription to be filled at the local farmacia. I was given a 500ml bottle of Septrin antibiotic, specifically for children, that cost me €1.94.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Yes John you are right, the article did refer to the state pension age being equalised at 67 by 2020.

But if the 30 year qualification rule is fully implemented by 2012, I will still get my full state pension in 2016 when I am 65, even if I stop paying NI contributions this year at age 50 which I hope to do.

Won't it be nice to come out on the right side of one of these changes for once - I only just missed out on being able to claim my state pension at 60.
Lynn R, I don´t know if you are female, but, if you are and you just missed claiming your pension at 60 than you don´t have to wait until you are 65. It is being brought in gradually, something like born 5 October 1950 - pension at 61. Phone DW&P and find out.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Glynis, but as I was born in 1956 that's why I have to wait until I'm 65 - I come just outside the phased arrangements. One of the few occasions when I wish I was older than I am!
Old Aug 20th 2006, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Sir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I was speaking to the Dept of Work and Pensions today because I've given up work to live in Spain. I was going to make voluntary NI contributions because I'm short of the 40 odd years I need to make the full state pension.

She told me that there is a proposal going through at the moment to reduce the amount of years you need to put in to 30 years!!! Although I found this quite strange, she advised me not to make any contributions until early next year, because if I make them now I won't be able to claim them back if the 30 year thing goes through. She did reiterate that its only a proposal at the moment, but just a warning for those considering it or already doing it ... maybe speak to them yourselves on 0044 (0) 191 218 1999
Hi thats very interesting,thanks for sharing that useful piece of info i am in the same boat as you!,i was going to pay 2 years contributions £700 before i leave to go live in spain.

paris

paris