Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Prescription costs in Spain now changed

Prescription costs in Spain now changed

Old Jul 5th 2012, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prescription costs in Spain now changed

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I'll make sure to be well stocked .
And that is the problem in both countries!
Our daughter works in a farmacia in Marbella, she is horrified by the amount of drugs returned unopened... they simply have to be destroyed.
Why on earth people get them on their prescription (just because they are free) is quite bewildering.

I like many don't like the idea of now having to pay a percentage of the cost, but if it helps to stop the shameful waste then I'm all for it.

Perhaps they should introduce a charge for a doctors appointment while they are at it, that would help to stop time wasters and those who simply don't show.

In these times of crisis we all have to eliminate waste wherever we can, we can no longer afford to be the throw away society that we have become.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 1:07 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Well they're pretty well organised to try stopping over-prescription in the UK now.

Previously I could order a repeat pres. at any time and pick it straight up regardless of how far I was thru the previous one and by such means I could easily build up my stocks.

Now they have a fixed date for every single med, before which a repeat pres.is not allowed,... but having said that my friendly local GP is always willing to sign me a double or even triple one when I'm going down to Spain for a while, though likewise again they still keep good track and know exactly when the next renewal is due again.

Just as well, the way things are going in Spain, with some things now unobtainable and a long term pharmacy strike starting soon in my area.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 5:58 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Fantastic value. How much would I have to pay in the UK? £20???
Nothing at all. They are free for over 60's.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 6:35 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic value. How much would I have to pay in the UK? £20???
This is a case of swings and roundabouts, some cheaper over the counter in Spain than on prescription in the UK, but at least in the UK you know that the max paid for each item is 8 quid or so, whereas in Spain as a 40% of a 77euro prescription is a hell of a lot more expensive that 8 pound.

Originally Posted by megmet
And that is the problem in both countries!
Our daughter works in a farmacia in Marbella, she is horrified by the amount of drugs returned unopened... they simply have to be destroyed.
Why on earth people get them on their prescription (just because they are free) is quite bewildering.

I like many don't like the idea of now having to pay a percentage of the cost, but if it helps to stop the shameful waste then I'm all for it.

Perhaps they should introduce a charge for a doctors appointment while they are at it, that would help to stop time wasters and those who simply don't show.

In these times of crisis we all have to eliminate waste wherever we can, we can no longer afford to be the throw away society that we have become.
Your daughter will see both sides of the coin, and see the hardship that working people who are on long term medication go through just to buy their drugs.

The paying a percentage of the cost, is a good idea, as long as charges are kept to realistic. it might stop the people who receive free drugs, from nipping to the doctor for the least little thing.

I know someone who paid over 70 euros for a months supply of a few different tablets, but feeling unwell after taking them, the doctor advised him to stop taking them and so he had to shell out for others to be taken instead, of course no refunds were offered, so it was an extra expensive month.

For all of you who think that the system is better in Spain because their own particular medicines are cheaper than in the UK, should look at the wider picture, and see the struggle of the majority of the population who need medication, and then everyone should realise that even at £8 a pop, the UK way is fairer.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
This is a case of swings and roundabouts, some cheaper over the counter in Spain than on prescription in the UK, but at least in the UK you know that the max paid for each item is 8 quid or so, whereas in Spain as a 40% of a 77euro prescription is a hell of a lot more expensive that 8 pound.
Correct, and as I said before, if you're not a pensioner, get a prepaid annual prescription thingy and the most you pay, no matter how many medicines you take, is £104 a year. £2 a week is hardly going to affect one's life style, even for the 12 % that pay for prescriptions.
For all of you who think that the system is better in Spain because their own particular medicines are cheaper than in the UK, should look at the wider picture,
People are cherry picking, talking only about a very common, very cheap drug, there will be many more expensive examples, but apart from you, we''ll never hear about them.

Last edited by agoreira; Jul 5th 2012 at 8:15 am.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 8:30 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira

People are cherry picking, talking only about a very common, very cheap drug, there will be many more expensive examples, but apart from you, we''ll never hear about them.
And you (as always) can't accept that if this is the case in Spain
Total bill for 3 items 1,63€.
and it costs £20 (24 euros) in the UK, then for many people it's cheaper there.
Different situation for pensioners and folk that have a lot of meds, but as Megmet points out
Well make the most of it while you can....times are a changing and it won't be long before what you take for granted free on the NHS will be charged for too, they just can't afford to sustain it at that level.
I think it is actually quite scary wherever you are based. Notice that the retirement age is being pushed ever upwards. It's not so much the loss of the state pension here (you'd probably get more on housing benefit if unemployed in the UK) but you can bet they'll try every trick to stop older folk getting free prescriptions. Again folk on benefits will probably do fine, but those who've worked most of their lives will be penalised.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 8:31 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Correct, and as I said before, if you're not a pensioner, get a prepaid annual prescription thingy and the most you pay, no matter how many medicines you take, is £104 a year. £2 a week is hardly going to affect one's life style, even for the 12 % that pay for prescriptions.

it may do if you are "barely getting by" on €800 a month
Old Jul 5th 2012, 8:33 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

And you (as always) can't accept that if this is the case in Spain

and it costs £20 (24 euros) in the UK, then for many people it's cheaper there.
Different situation for pensioners and folk that have a lot of meds, but as Megmet points out

I think it is actually quite scary wherever you are based. Notice that the retirement age is being pushed ever upwards. It's not so much the loss of the state pension here (you'd probably get more on housing benefit if unemployed in the UK) but you can bet they'll try every trick to stop older folk getting free prescriptions. Again folk on benefits will probably do fine, but those who've worked most of their lives will be penalised.

so nothing changes in this Brave New World then
Old Jul 5th 2012, 9:43 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
it may do if you are "barely getting by" on €800 a month
You are confusing Spain wit the UK, the £2 will only apply to folks in the UK, so they wont be getting 800 euros a month, in Spain there is no maximul limit as to what people pay.

The folks who get by on 800 in spain if they are of working age find it really difficult to pay for prescriptions if it was a case of 40% of a small cost, not too bad, but the problem starts when it is 40% of a large amount.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick point a few posts keep referring to prescription charges in the UK don't forget that actually does not refer to Wales and Scotland where they are free.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:14 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, not all drugs cost about 5€ Some years ago I took a Brit pensioner to urgencias. I took him back home and went to the farmacía. He had a prescription for 3 items, when I was asked for 87€ I thought they had made a mistake. I told them he was a pensioner but apparently that is the system. He then had to go see his GP to get the same prescription, return to the farmacía and get a refund A neighbour paid 50€ every month for drugs after having a brain hemorrhage

Always the same on here, extreme examples 3€ for drugs, 4€ for a meal, 20€ IBI...yadda yadda.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
You are confusing Spain wit the UK, the £2 will only apply to folks in the UK, so they wont be getting 800 euros a month, in Spain there is no maximul limit as to what people pay.

The folks who get by on 800 in spain if they are of working age find it really difficult to pay for prescriptions if it was a case of 40% of a small cost, not too bad, but the problem starts when it is 40% of a large amount.
Plus as only 12% will pay for prescriptions in UK, that 12% obviously will be earning comfortably over €800 a month. Several times that, I'd have thought, they wouldn't even notice £2 a week.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I agree that some charge for prescription drugs is a good deterrent to waste and misuse of prescription drugs. Personally though i think that the flat charge is the better option than a % as the individual knows the cost required and if something can be bought cheaper then they can buy it privately. As for the UK having different policies for different parts Scotland/Wales I don't agree with that but I would I live in England.

Just a point from personal experience with my past employment sadly generally the biggest users of the prescription system tend to be the people on benefits and I mean the long term ones those that have probably never paid anything into the system at all. They see it as their right to go to see a doctor for things that others just get on with they also will get any medication free so make the most of it. I must emphasise that this is just my view from what I have seen, and I am talking about a specific grou of people on benefits not all.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Always the same on here, extreme examples 3€ for drugs, 4€ for a meal, 20€ IBI...yadda yadda.
Yes, and as usual the question was about costs in Spain rising, but it wasn't long before it got around to everything was still cheaper than UK. I don't see many posts informing us, like our good friends have, of the thousands they have had to spend on private medical insurance since they have been there, of the thousands they have spent having their son's teeth sorted out. "Selective amnesia" pills must be cheap in Spain as well. I'll leave them to talk amongst themselves.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Does it not really all come down to + & - for different Countries you research and make a decision to either live there or stay where you are. Of course things change especially in these uncertain times both in the UK and Spain but that's life. In some areas you win and some you loose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.