Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Preparing to be a single parent in Spain!

Preparing to be a single parent in Spain!

Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of
Default Preparing to be a single parent in Spain!

Hi

As you are aware we have decided to move again next year.

However i will be in Spain and hubby will come over for one week every month.

Has anyone else been in this situation, With work commitments now he does very very long hours so i am on my own alot anyway. I know if there would be an emergency in Spain its not like having one here where he can drop everything to get home quickly.

Also i am sure i will cope, But would just like to hear from other's if they have been in the same situation. xxx
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:57 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Preparing to be a single parent in Spain!

Originally Posted by missbad
Hi

Has anyone else been in this situation, With work commitments now he does very very long hours so i am on my own alot anyway. I know if there would be an emergency in Spain its not like having one here where he can drop everything to get home quickly.

Also i am sure i will cope, But would just like to hear from other's if they have been in the same situation. xxx
tons of us do it!

my OH was often away about 2-3 weeks a month when we first came over - I didn't like it but was already used to it, because he'd been doing it for several years already

I found it easier here because there are so very many in the same boat

now after no travelling for a couple of years he's off again - not quite as often - but I still fee like a single mum some of the time!
Old Aug 8th 2009, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

yeah a few of my friends did it.....one found it very hard, her children were young though anothers hubby worked on the rigs and like you was used to him being away a lot anyway (they have since divorced though but not anything to do with Spain)

One particular friendtually enjoyed her hubby being away and when he came back she said it upset her routine !

Hi

Old Aug 8th 2009, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lynnxa
tons of us do it!

my OH was often away about 2-3 weeks a month when we first came over - I didn't like it but was already used to it, because he'd been doing it for several years already

I found it easier here because there are so very many in the same boat

now after no travelling for a couple of years he's off again - not quite as often - but I still fee like a single mum some of the time!
Hi

I did not realise alot of people did it! When we come over he is hoping to stay 6 weeks before he has to go back to the uk, to help me drive the car lol and find my barings etc.xxx
Old Aug 8th 2009, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spain
yeah a few of my friends did it.....one found it very hard, her children were young though anothers hubby worked on the rigs and like you was used to him being away a lot anyway (they have since divorced though but not anything to do with Spain)

One particular friendtually enjoyed her hubby being away and when he came back she said it upset her routine !
I always wonder if you actually argue more when they are away, like you say upset your routine etc etc etc. Sometimes now when he comes home early and i am in the middle of something i mutter the odd rudey word under my breath lol. Because i know what i was doing wont get done lol. xx
Old Aug 8th 2009, 10:19 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spain

Old Aug 8th 2009, 10:20 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Hi

I did not realise alot of people did it! When we come over he is hoping to stay 6 weeks before he has to go back to the uk, to help me drive the car lol and find my barings etc.xxx
mine disappeared less than 2 weeks after we got here

& on my birthday!!

leaving me to organise Christmas
Old Aug 8th 2009, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

mine disappeared less than 2 weeks after we got here

& on my birthday!!

leaving me to organise Christmas
Hope you got an extra special xmas prezzie xx
Old Aug 8th 2009, 11:10 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Hope you got an extra special xmas prezzie xx
I seem to remember he did quite a bit of shopping while he was in Florida
Old Aug 8th 2009, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

I moved to Spain alone (I was single at the time) and was alone for the first year that I was here.....well, not ALONE alone, just without a steady partner.

I think it is much easier to meet new people when you are by yourself. I enrolled in lots of courses (Spanish, dance, horse riding, etc) and found myself an instant group of friends and support network.

Your hubby is not the ONLY one who can provide you support in the event of an emergency...or even non-emergency. I say get out there and make plenty of new friends.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

I seem to remember he did quite a bit of shopping while he was in Florida
lol
Old Aug 8th 2009, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Veleta
I moved to Spain alone (I was single at the time) and was alone for the first year that I was here.....well, not ALONE alone, just without a steady partner.

I think it is much easier to meet new people when you are by yourself. I enrolled in lots of courses (Spanish, dance, horse riding, etc) and found myself an instant group of friends and support network.

Your hubby is not the ONLY one who can provide you support in the event of an emergency...or even non-emergency. I say get out there and make plenty of new friends.
So you found it easy to make friends? Thats the one thing i am hoping i can do.
I am hoping i meet people at the school and try and find a bit of work be it a salon or go freelance which some people have suggested. xx
Old Aug 8th 2009, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

So you found it easy to make friends? Thats the one thing i am hoping i can do.
I am hoping i meet people at the school and try and find a bit of work be it a salon or go freelance which some people have suggested. xx
Yes, I found it very easy. But like I said, you can't expect them to come to you, you have to get out there and find them. For me the best source for new friends was the language academy and the dance classes I did....but mainly the academy. In my class were lots of people in a similar position to myself....looking to learning Spanish and meet new people. They were a very sociable bunch and we went out a lot together in the evenings. Then you inevitably start meeting friends of friends and so your circle starts to grow.

I've never managed to make friends through work, but I think that is mainly because I am not comfortable charging friends for my services, so I keep my customers at arms length.

I know the the local school here has a "coffee group", ie the Mums drop their kiddies off at school and then sit in a bar for a coffee and a natter before going home again. Five days a week without fail. You never know, maybe your kids' school will have the same thing.