Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Starting watersports business spain HELP

Starting watersports business spain HELP

Old Aug 6th 2009, 11:45 am
Just Joined

sassy1112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting watersports business spain HELP

Hi everyone, i'm looking for some advice as keep hitting brick walls, me and my partner are looking to relocate and wanted to set up a small watersports business on a spanish lake (not sure where yet). I'm aware that there are public and private waters in Spain however i can't find out how you find out the ownership of lakes, i'm guessing you can't just turn up and set up but at the moment can't find any infomation. The business would be small and operating non motorized motor sports any help in next steps would be great thanks
Old Aug 6th 2009, 1:15 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Starting watersports business spain HELP

Originally Posted by sassy1112
Hi everyone, i'm looking for some advice as keep hitting brick walls, me and my partner are looking to relocate and wanted to set up a small watersports business on a spanish lake (not sure where yet). I'm aware that there are public and private waters in Spain however i can't find out how you find out the ownership of lakes, i'm guessing you can't just turn up and set up but at the moment can't find any infomation. The business would be small and operating non motorized motor sports any help in next steps would be great thanks
Non motorized motor sports??????

It would be very difficult. The licences would be almost impossible I think.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Is this just a sporting activity or are you teaching ?
Old Aug 6th 2009, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Is this just a sporting activity or are you teaching ?
its just an activity, fun, no teaching similar to pedalo's no motors therefore better for environment?
Old Aug 6th 2009, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CBANDY
Non motorized motor sports??????

It would be very difficult. The licences would be almost impossible I think.
sorry i mean non motorised water sports / more a water activity.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 1:58 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

sorry i mean non motorised water sports / more a water activity.
like rowing

or windsurfing
Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not an expert on this, but what you are suggesting is going to be very difficult. You will need a licence undoubtadly, as well is the relevant qualifications and insurance. A lot of lakes will be in national parks, so would be run by the relevant authority, if not I should think a local authority or council will have say on who can work there. Also, if they have important wildwife, then watersports wont be allowed.

There are also lots of watersports centres in Spain already, I can hardly think there will be a gap in the market. A friend of mine applied to work at one to teach canoing, they wanted a bilingual person with all the relevant coaching and safety badges. His Spanish wasnt good enough

You can do some simple Google searches to find out where the lakes are and who manages them. Of course it will be all in Spanish, but you'll need to be bilingual in these type of work anyway.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:06 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps these guys can give you some pointers: www.kanelaextreme.com
Old Aug 7th 2009, 6:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cricketman
I'm not an expert on this, but what you are suggesting is going to be very difficult. You will need a licence undoubtadly, as well is the relevant qualifications and insurance. A lot of lakes will be in national parks, so would be run by the relevant authority, if not I should think a local authority or council will have say on who can work there. Also, if they have important wildwife, then watersports wont be allowed.

There are also lots of watersports centres in Spain already, I can hardly think there will be a gap in the market. A friend of mine applied to work at one to teach canoing, they wanted a bilingual person with all the relevant coaching and safety badges. His Spanish wasnt good enough

You can do some simple Google searches to find out where the lakes are and who manages them. Of course it will be all in Spanish, but you'll need to be bilingual in these type of work anyway.
thanks for your help know its not going to be easy hence pre research
Old Aug 8th 2009, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

setting up any business in Spain could give you a lot of headaches

Being able to speak Spanish will help you a lot, so if you dont you need someone on board who does...imagine trying to deal with the authorities, filling in forms, getting the correct insurance, dealing with the health and safety issues etc etc etc in another language .....mind boggling in Enlish let alone Spanish

thanks for your help know its not going to be easy hence pre research
Old Aug 8th 2009, 5:11 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I would try to get a job at an established centre, that would give you first hand knowledge of how things work.