Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Pregnancy advise...

Pregnancy advise...

Old Jun 20th 2008, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

gawbul is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pregnancy advise...

I was hoping someone might be able to give me some advise?

My girlfriend and I have recently arrived in Spain and will be spending the next 3 months with my uncle, returning to the UK on Friday 12th September 2008.

We have just found out however, that my girlfriend is pregnant and I am a bit worried now as to how to progress. I have thought about returning to the UK early, as I want to be sure we can obtain the best prenatal health care possible.

What would you recommend and should we expect to pay for any scans, tests etc. over here?
Old Jun 20th 2008, 5:28 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation
Default Re: Pregnancy advise...

Originally Posted by gawbul

My girlfriend and I have recently arrived in Spain and will be spending the next 3 months with my uncle, returning to the UK on Friday 12th September 2008.

We have just found out however, that my girlfriend is pregnant and I am a bit worried now as to how to progress. I have thought about returning to the UK early, as I want to be sure we can obtain the best prenatal health care possible.

What would you recommend and should we expect to pay for any scans, tests etc. over here?

I am sure someone who wears a size 14 hat with brain to match will be along
soon however at this moment you and your girlfriend are tourists/visitors and I would be very surprised unless it was an emergency and your E111 would come into play the Spanish Medical Authorities would take your girlfriend on.
1. Because of the expense and they will not see the pregnancy out to its forgone conclusion 2. Because of Liability and legal mitigation if when you returned to the UK there were problems and you try to lay them at the door of the Spanish Authorities. I know from experience re my wife had an accident in the UK but the Doctor there gave her a letter to explain treatment given to date and then signed her off or effectively washed his hands of her to that stage of her treatment.She was then cared for here in Spain. To put you mind at rest pay for private initial scan etc whilst you are here just to make sure the basics are all in tune,If however you decide that you want your baby to monitored here in Spain, finding an English speaking doctor is definitely a good idea. The National health Service if they agree to accept you also offers medical supervision and treatment during and after pregnancy, for both legal residents and non-residents. You will be issued a Pregnancy Card (Carné de Embarazo) that will detail the proceedings of your pregnancy and should be carried at all times, including during the birth.When you return to the UK in September prepare for a life changing experience Enjoy your three month holiday........ It may be you last for a little while

Last edited by poshnbucks; Jun 20th 2008 at 5:44 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 5:52 pm

I understand you are already here in Spain. If you didn't get a E111 before you left the UK don't panic you can get one sent to your uncles house just follow these steps......
Emergency Treatment & E111
All residents of the European Economic Area (EU Countries + EFTA states: Iceland, Liechtenstein & Norway) can get emergency treatment from the public sector with their passport and the E111. The E111 is a document stating that you come from the EEA and are entitled to free or reduced cost treatment. You are supposed to apply in the country you come from before travelling abroad, for example you can pick up an application form in your local UK post office. You can still have one faxed to you. If you have a national insurance number in the UK you can call up 0044 191 218 7547 or 0044 191 218 7777 which will get you to the national health & pensions department. There they’ll ask you for your national insurance number, when you departed on your holiday, your date of birth, your address in the UK and your nationality. Once happy that all makes sense they’ll either send the E111 to an address you give them or fax it over to your Uncles House. Good Luck. :embaressed_smile:
Old Jun 20th 2008, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

gawbul is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
I understand you are already here in Spain. If you didn't get a E111 before you left the UK don't panic you can get one sent to your uncles house just follow these steps......
Emergency Treatment & E111
All residents of the European Economic Area (EU Countries + EFTA states: Iceland, Liechtenstein & Norway) can get emergency treatment from the public sector with their passport and the E111. The E111 is a document stating that you come from the EEA and are entitled to free or reduced cost treatment. You are supposed to apply in the country you come from before travelling abroad, for example you can pick up an application form in your local UK post office. You can still have one faxed to you. If you have a national insurance number in the UK you can call up 0044 191 218 7547 or 0044 191 218 7777 which will get you to the national health & pensions department. There they’ll ask you for your national insurance number, when you departed on your holiday, your date of birth, your address in the UK and your nationality. Once happy that all makes sense they’ll either send the E111 to an address you give them or fax it over to your Uncles House. Good Luck. :embaressed_smile:
Hey, thanks for the information! I'll have to find a doctor's then and see what the crack is with regards to pricing and initial scans etc.

I already have the EHIC card, which is helpful and was actually reading about an E112, which may allow for extra treatment such as in the case of pregnancy, but this must be authorised first by the Department of Health.

I'll have to keep looking, but thanks for the well wishes
Old Jun 20th 2008, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

linda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud of

Congratulations
Old Jun 20th 2008, 8:38 pm

Hey, thanks for the information! I'll have to find a doctor's then and see what the crack is with regards to pricing and initial scans etc.

I already have the EHIC card, which is helpful and was actually reading about an E112, which may allow for extra treatment such as in the case of pregnancy, but this must be authorised first by the Department of Health.

I'll have to keep looking, but thanks for the well wishes

You could of course walk into your local medical centre because whilst you have been in Spain you have discovered the pregnancy and is therefore an emergency not knowing at this stage if everything is OK with the baby. Use your E111 card. I know my medical centre would not turn you away. I would make sure you have a Spanish speaker with you because any advice given you want to make sure you and your girlfriend understand what is being said and done with regards your girlfriend and baby's welfare.This advice is free and I don't expect you to name the baby after me as a thank you. I think one Piers Marquis George Rainsbury is enough..."Ay-Thang-Yew"
Old Jun 20th 2008, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Katya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the rough

My friend who is living in spain is currently living in spain and is pregnant and is receiving Free Prenatal care along with a Free Translator. The care she is receiving is alot better than i received here in scotland. Alot of the private tests and scans i paid for in the UK are standard here in spain.

Katx
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:07 pm

Of course you have 3 months to get some nice holiday snaps......

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 30th 2009 at 5:40 am.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katya
My friend who is living in spain is currently living in spain and is pregnant and is receiving Free Prenatal care along with a Free Translator. The care she is receiving is alot better than i received here in scotland. Alot of the private tests and scans i paid for in the UK are standard here in spain.

Katx
Agree, our daughter gave birth here on Good Friday, the care & attention she received before and after the birth was far superior to what she had in the UK with her first born, also as you said, lots of extra tests and scans that are not done in UK, and all free.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 1:33 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look on HERE, I am sure it has happened to a few more people. ;-)