Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Viewing Property in Spain – What You See

Viewing Property in Spain – What You See

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of
Arrow Viewing Property in Spain – What You See

It’s not long now before we start some serious viewing of Almerian property for sale. Current internet viewings reveal all sorts of things you just don’t see on the UK property sites.

Photos of extremely dilapidated rooms, some with huge stains on the walls. A pleasant looking room with a string of washing hung across it. Attractive rooms with strange apparatus that beggars description. Even the quite expensive houses don’t seem to merit even a cursory tidy-up before the EA takes the photos.

What have you seen when actually viewing property? Some of our best to date, in Spain, has been:

1) A house with hefty walls where the stairs were about 15 inches high. On reaching the first floor there was a crack in the rear wall about 6 inches wide, but admittedly the view through the crack was stunning.

2) A house with plenty of spacious rooms, but dirt floored on the ground floor. One room contained a moped. Another room contained most of the parts of a similar moped, various heaps of clothing and bizarrely, four very shabby left shoes.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:23 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation
Default Re: Viewing Property in Spain – What You See

I own a complete holiday complex in Puerto Banus just half way along the Golden Mile, I happen to have most apartments occupied on long term rentals but what I have found with this arrangement the mostly German occupants have this rather disgusting habit of drying their towels over the balcony railing. This means if one looks up from the large communal swimming pool, it gives a distorted view of what on the whole is a five star complex giving any Polaris World Resort a run for its money. Sorry about the lighting on the piccy it was taken late afternoon I had to wait until the towels had been brought from the pool to their respective balconies. You may notice in the picture the penthouse which has no towels showing from where I write these ditties for your viewing pleasure. I do cheap weekend viewings if any UK residents would like to pop over to buy....... When viewing look beyond the Décor/Towels think INVESTMENT. I also know a good lawyer who will act for you and there are plenty of English speaking builders to make your Spanish Dream come true.We have also been featured on A Place In The Sun with Amanda Donkey. and there are two chinese restaurants on the complex. click on the pic

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 30th 2009 at 5:40 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Dibble is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Viewing Property in Spain – What You See

I suggest that you rent in a Spanish town/village for a month and see how people live make friends and have a nosey at their homes to see what you are in for.Its not all plain sailing.

Our ideal home in the sun always, always needs work to get it how you want it. They always have cracks, leaky roofs, and whilst you are back in good old Blighty half the house falls down.....:curse:

Welcome to Spain!

If you want a pristine box without character buy new, if you want Spanish character buy the house with the cracks and if you can get the shoes BONUS!

I live in the really rural Spain, inland in Alcala La Real, the Sea of Olives. It is stunning and full of old wrecks that we Brits are all to eager to buy, do up and bitch about what we have spent and which ryanair trained builder fleeced us:curse:

But that seems all part of the dream......

I love it!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

I read on another forum where the poster viewed a house that contained the very recently deceased owner, who was still laid out on the bed covered by a sheet.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

That must have been mortifying.

I vaguely recall a repo duplex being bought cheaply at auction last year. On getting the keys they discovered the previous occupant still sitting on the sofa, mummified. Nobody thought to check why she hadn’t been paying the mortgage. Costa Blanca somewhere if I remember rightly…
Old Jun 4th 2008, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by toyboy23
It’s not long now before we start some serious viewing of Almerian property for sale. Current internet viewings reveal all sorts of things you just don’t see on the UK property sites.

Photos of extremely dilapidated rooms, some with huge stains on the walls. A pleasant looking room with a string of washing hung across it. Attractive rooms with strange apparatus that beggars description. Even the quite expensive houses don’t seem to merit even a cursory tidy-up before the EA takes the photos.

What have you seen when actually viewing property? Some of our best to date, in Spain, has been:

1) A house with hefty walls where the stairs were about 15 inches high. On reaching the first floor there was a crack in the rear wall about 6 inches wide, but admittedly the view through the crack was stunning.

2) A house with plenty of spacious rooms, but dirt floored on the ground floor. One room contained a moped. Another room contained most of the parts of a similar moped, various heaps of clothing and bizarrely, four very shabby left shoes.
On our most recent trip to look at property (again) in Valencia we were shown at least 2 properties that were good for a laugh if nothing else. The 3rd we din't even visit the description and photo's saved the journey

1. Townhouse property in Adsubia. Massive and apparently (from the date on a newspaper lying about in the living room) last lived in 3 years ago. The attic was fantastic - like stepping back to the 1940's or a little later. The price they wanted matched the property - fantastic (and in your dreams)
2. Another townhouse between Oliva and Gandia. Right in the middle of 2 wrecks that it didn't look had been lived in for several decades - again ridiculous price
3. Another townhouse. This consisted of just the front portion with no roof or rear wall - BUT, said the agent, it had a magnificent garden.

Yes, it appears to us after several visits over the last 18 months or so that a long term rental wil be the first step.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Justlookin.

Yes, we’ll be renting too until we find what is right for what we want to do. I suspect the main problem is going to be the EAs and owners living in dreamland as regards price. We’re going to offer what we think is right for the falling/fallen market and walk away if there are no moves to negotiate.

I feel you’re being harsh over number 3. Bringing the garden into the house is supposed to be the ‘in’ thing now.

I saw a friend of ours last night, who ended up buying a lovely house near Elche. He and his OH viewed a very conventional three-storey town house that had all the usual Spanish accoutrements, such as the saints’ pictures and the jamon complete with flies. All very conservative until they reached the master bedroom, complete with an extremely ornate crucifix above the bed. Oddly, on the bedside table was an array of three marital aids, arranged in order of size. I mentioned it was good to see the owner had an eye for detail. Unfortunately he’d just taken a mouthful of riocha which subsequently went three different ways.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

One place I saw had just been renovated - not a bad job, except it didn't have a kitchen or a bathroom.
Strangely the agent omitted to mention this while I was being shown around. It was only on the drive back afterwards that it occured to me. A quick call to the agent confirmed that I hadn't been imagining it.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Ha ha!

A friend of mine viewed an older house in Alcalá. It had a brand new bathroom added on the back, beautifully finished.

They completed the purchase and love the house, but discovered after occupation that nothing in the bathroom was connected except the electric light. The water pipes and sewage had no connection. Basically they had a bathroom like you find in a B&Q showroom. Tee hee!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

On the whole our brand new at purchase villa was ok, just snagging that you find when you move in and the builder has long gone with your money!

Like the awful corrugated outlet pipes on all sinks and handbasins, meaning I had to go around and change them for bottle traps to stop the sewer smell from the septic tank.

Our outside kitchen with a beautiful stoneware double handbasin, hot and cold taps, both plumbed into the cold water line cos the water heater is too far away in the house!

The double fronted front doors in timber that faces south They heat up so much that you can't open them after the sun has baked them all day long. Even though I have planed 6mm of the edge of each one I am in imminent danger of their being a large gap in them in the winter months.

The list goes on, a brand new build and unlike the UK you cannot get the builder back to finish the small jobs that should have been done.

Would I swap it for anywhere else? not on your nelly
Old Jun 4th 2008, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
On the whole our brand new at purchase villa was ok, just snagging that you find when you move in and the builder has long gone with your money!

Like the awful corrugated outlet pipes on all sinks and handbasins, meaning I had to go around and change them for bottle traps to stop the sewer smell from the septic tank.

Our outside kitchen with a beautiful stoneware double handbasin, hot and cold taps, both plumbed into the cold water line cos the water heater is too far away in the house!

The double fronted front doors in timber that faces south They heat up so much that you can't open them after the sun has baked them all day long. Even though I have planed 6mm of the edge of each one I am in imminent danger of their being a large gap in them in the winter months.

The list goes on, a brand new build and unlike the UK you cannot get the builder back to finish the small jobs that should have been done.

Would I swap it for anywhere else? not on your nelly
There is nothing like sitting on your sofa with the telly on and a glass of vino in one hand, steading the bucket catching the water from a leaking ceiling in the other, or going into your study with all your computers in to find the water has fried it all.

Yep, warts and all you just got to love it!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toyboy23
Hi Justlookin.

...We’re going to offer what we think is right for the falling/fallen market and walk away if there are no moves to negotiate....
That's the way to go, forget what people are asking for and make an offer of what you think it's worth... There are a * load * of properties here in the south for sale (a really high number) and they are not selling very well at all (I wonder why) so make those offers and don't think you can't buy if you don't have what the seller is asking.

Good luck
Old Jun 4th 2008, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Econ
That's the way to go, forget what people are asking for and make an offer of what you think it's worth... There are a * load * of properties here in the south for sale (a really high number) and they are not selling very well at all (I wonder why) so make those offers and don't think you can't buy if you don't have what the seller is asking.

Good luck
Yep you are right, it is now a buyers market.

We have a lots of private sales on our classifieds and I am sorry to say most are Brits with a second homes here wanting to sell to free up some money for all the extras they are having to pay in the UK.

Why?

They should sell their house in the UK and move out here!

So, if you want to buy here YOU CAN make a killing. Offer less and stick to your guns. If they are desperate they will take it, and it improves our ecomony here having someone who actually puts something into the system.

Sorry for the rant!!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dibble
Yep you are right, it is now a buyers market.

We have a lots of private sales on our classifieds and I am sorry to say most are Brits with a second homes here wanting to sell to free up some money for all the extras they are having to pay in the UK.

Why?

They should sell their house in the UK and move out here!

So, if you want to buy here YOU CAN make a killing. Offer less and stick to your guns. If they are desperate they will take it, and it improves our ecomony here having someone who actually puts something into the system.

Sorry for the rant!!
If I was in that position it would be exactly what I would do, I have a friend now who has a massive house worth 750k + (all paif for) in the UK close to the Airbase at Mildenhall, he also has a 2 bed flat in Torrevieja which has been empty for 3 years now, worth less than he paid.

He still works but could retire very easily, says he likes spain but could not find work !

He has a house worth 3 Qtrs of a million pound, IMO totally doing it the wrong way round !

Lastly I should say he has no Family to leave anything to other than his wife.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

If you understand what you're buying, it can help.

Some Spanish homes are second / holiday homes, so as a result may not get much in the way of TLC.

If the roof doesn't leak - it's a bonus, but the house may still have a damp problem from a variety of other sources - not helped by the lack of current occupancy. Neither of these are particularly difficult to sort out. Watch out for the bigger construction projects, though - best to have a friendly Spanish builder on hand!

Certainly don't expect mod-cons like 'central heating' and other modern wonders in the second home. As someone else has said, traps in the waste pipes are optional too

Estate agents descriptions... well, they range from incredible to absolutely beyond belief. You really have to go and see (and smell!) to believe. One of our rentals was even described as having a 'garden' and another reception room - neither of which it actually had, so make sure you count those bedrooms!!

Pools can be exquisite constructions, or simply the water deposit for the house painted blue.

Electrics can be 'interesting' - especially where the DIY-er has been at work. A friend of ours lived in a house with 16 (yes, sixteen) light switches just inside the front door. They could never work out what 12 of them did, presumably they were intended for 'future projects' that never came to fruition!

Just keep your wits about you. There are some really lovely properties about, and for every 'shed' there are plenty of beautiful homes waiting for buyers. Don't be too put off by initial viewings!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.