Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The power of prayer.

The power of prayer.

Old Oct 1st 2010, 9:29 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The power of prayer.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It's a phrase, 'it depends', ie whether destroying a Bible is acceptable may depend on whether one views religion as a harmless factor in society or not. If the latter, one may feel justified in destroying the book or at least feeling indifferent about what happens to it.
OK, I am with you.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 9:38 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

It's a phrase, 'it depends', ie whether destroying a Bible is acceptable may depend on whether one views religion as a harmless factor in society or not. If the latter, one may feel justified in destroying the book or at least feeling indifferent about what happens to it.
It's more about contempt for the concept that such a thing should have to be respected.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

[QUOTE=kimilseung;8890314]Same thing happened to me, I prayed to a jug of milk and the next day the jug of milk helped me find them in my pocket too

Did you get a mustache afterwards?

You are such a worm sometimes.....

Last edited by willmore; Oct 1st 2010 at 10:15 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion all religions are the same.

But with different holidays.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 6:36 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think there is any justification for burning a book/books?
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 9:20 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Well the US govt were soon wetting their knickers about the possible burning of the koran.
Footnote for Bill,
You'll probably be much safer sticking with the christian bible for bog roll.

A softer touch and softer paper.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 9:53 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Well the US govt were soon wetting their knickers about the possible burning of the koran.
Footnote for Bill,
You'll probably be much safer sticking with the christian bible for bog roll.

A softer touch and softer paper.
You know you are becoming more and more odd as the days go by don't you?
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bil

At my uncle's funeral, the c*ck sucker of a priest saw me not singing, climbed down from his perch, stormed over to me, and handed me an open hymnbook in front of everyone. I took it, and staring him in the eye all the time, closed it and just dropped it. He stepped back (presumably expecting me to sprout horns) and went on with the service without saying a word.

In order to prove a point, one year I worked my way thru a bible tearing out the pages and using it as toilet paper (but only for the first wipe, where each page collected the most of what it deserved.) The empty covers went in the dustbin.

Bil, loads of people behave in church exactly how you describe and is the norm unless they are regular churchgoers and has been since I can remember so find it difficult to believe it actually happened.

As for wiping your backside with pages from a bible, the only way you could have proved a point was to save them and send them to the priest that embarrassed you, otherwise what was the point unless you actually believe God was watching you do it.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 12:22 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Here's a fun story. Occasionally I have to attend a church service to give support to family or friends. I have no wish to cause embarrassment, so I stand when the sing, but do not open my mouth or pick up the hymnbook.

I sit during prayers, I will not kneel.

At my uncle's funeral, the c*ck sucker of a priest saw me not singing, climbed down from his perch, stormed over to me, and handed me an open hymnbook in front of everyone. I took it, and staring him in the eye all the time, closed it and just dropped it. He stepped back (presumably expecting me to sprout horns) and went on with the service without saying a word.

In order to prove a point, one year I worked my way thru a bible tearing out the pages and using it as toilet paper (but only for the first wipe, where each page collected the most of what it deserved.) The empty covers went in the dustbin.
To prove a point to who precisely ?
Sorry,don't see the point.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Many millions of old books are pulped annually, I guess what you're talking about is the symbolic act as favoured by Nazis. As an act of oppression it is unjustified.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

I guess my take on the whole thing is that I am an agnostic. Maybe subconsciously (or cowardly) I am covering all the options. Who knows? If someone I loved was ill I probably would utter a prayer.

But spend a little time with me and you'd think I was a blazing atheist.

Look, if there is a god then the bottom line is he is doing a shitty job. I tell my missionary friends that at best he gets a C-. Seems he works part time. I mean where the hell was he when hundreds of Congolese women were getting raped earlier this year? Was the big guy taking a day off? The religious say "God is good" but we don't see too much of that now do we?

The religious will always say that man chooses his own path and that is the reason why all these terrible events happen. God doesn't get involved in the day to day. I even had a Bergen Belsen holocaust survivor tell me that.

Well maybe he should get a little more involved don't you think? Man is f'ing things up pretty good so may be some divine intervention is needed. Having spent the last 15 years in Africa I am amazed how religious people are on the continent whether they are Christian or Muslim. But it would seem to me God lets them down more than anyone else. Their prayers never seem to get answered.

Not trying to make any particular point here just rambling a little.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 5:49 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Bil, loads of people behave in church exactly how you describe and is the norm unless they are regular churchgoers and has been since I can remember so find it difficult to believe it actually happened.

As for wiping your backside with pages from a bible, the only way you could have proved a point was to save them and send them to the priest that embarrassed you, otherwise what was the point unless you actually believe God was watching you do it.
1. This actually happened. Whether you believe it or not is irrelevant.

2. This was to underline that even in a foxhole, I will raising two fingers to the sky.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bil
1. This actually happened. Whether you believe it or not is irrelevant.

2. This was to underline that even in a foxhole, I will raising two fingers to the sky.
Wow!! Heavy stuff. I only wish that I was that sure one way or the other. Either way I could never be as extreme in my actions.

Last edited by reggiedh; Oct 2nd 2010 at 7:02 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 7:37 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by reggiedh
Wow!! Heavy stuff. I only wish that I was that sure one way or the other. Either way I could never be as extreme in my actions.
OK, let's look at this logically, because even in heaven or hell, logic has to apply.

God, if he exists, as the xtians say, then he knows everything, and is a complete bastard. Just look what he did to Job, on a bet. You don't get into heaven unless you wuv baby jeezers. So Job after being tortured for the hell of it is burning in Hell, as is Noah who was the best person on earth.

If you don't really believe, he will know, and it won't make a speck of difference whether you go into full butt kissing mode early or late.

Think about it. Do you want to be in an alleged heaven, under the all knowing eye of a divinely powerful being, who is jealous and spiteful (it says so in the bible.)? Can you imagine what that would be like? Hellish.

So everyone like me, who won't kiss arse (but I'll kneel and kiss his feet, because that gets you in close enough to use a knife if you have one) will be shoved down into hell. Hmmm. That could actually be kinda fun. You see, they can't kill you (if they can that's an easy way out.) so you are free.

It's like this. Here and now, a lion can kill you. Now imagine this, that there are a thousand like us, unkillable, even if we can be hurt, and we are angry.

At that point there are enough of you to rip the lion into a thousand tiny pieces, and keep it that way.

In short, people like me, you want us in the tent pissing out. You really, really wouldn't like what we would do if we were outside, pissing in.

If you find yourself in hell, look me up. I'll be the one raising an army big enough to trash the place and burn heaven.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
OK, let's look at this logically, because even in heaven or hell, logic has to apply.

God, if he exists, as the xtians say, then he knows everything, and is a complete bastard. Just look what he did to Job, on a bet. You don't get into heaven unless you wuv baby jeezers. So Job after being tortured for the hell of it is burning in Hell, as is Noah who was the best person on earth.

If you don't really believe, he will know, and it won't make a speck of difference whether you go into full butt kissing mode early or late.

Think about it. Do you want to be in an alleged heaven, under the all knowing eye of a divinely powerful being, who is jealous and spiteful (it says so in the bible.)? Can you imagine what that would be like? Hellish.

So everyone like me, who won't kiss arse (but I'll kneel and kiss his feet, because that gets you in close enough to use a knife if you have one) will be shoved down into hell. Hmmm. That could actually be kinda fun. You see, they can't kill you (if they can that's an easy way out.) so you are free.

It's like this. Here and now, a lion can kill you. Now imagine this, that there are a thousand like us, unkillable, even if we can be hurt, and we are angry.

At that point there are enough of you to rip the lion into a thousand tiny pieces, and keep it that way.

In short, people like me, you want us in the tent pissing out. You really, really wouldn't like what we would do if we were outside, pissing in.

If you find yourself in hell, look me up. I'll be the one raising an army big enough to trash the place and burn heaven.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.