British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   The power of prayer. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/power-prayer-687770/)

bil Oct 1st 2010 7:12 pm

The power of prayer.

Elspeth on another thread said (possibly tongue in cheek) that she prayed to god to get her safe back to Spain.

It struck me as interesting.

If there is a god like the religious say who answers prayers, then which prayers does he answer?

Think carefully on this. If you can't demonstrate that a particular type of prayer will get answered, or stand a better chance of being answered, then the actual likelihood is that the idle bastard isn't pulling his weight, or else has put the answer phone on and has forgotten it.

Of course, if prayers aren't answered, then why do you need to keep the priests in work.....

whitelinen Oct 1st 2010 7:20 pm

Re: The power of prayer.

Originally Posted by bil (Post 8890062)
Elspeth on another thread said (possibly tongue in cheek) that she prayed to god to get her safe back to Spain.

It struck me as interesting.

Yes but then Elspeth is a very interesting person.

My own opinion is that prayers help or comfort those who pray. I have never seen any evidence that prayers help in any other way. Much in the way that people rush to say goodbye to a dying person, the only person to gain anything from this is the person who went to say goodbye.

Trixie_b Oct 1st 2010 7:22 pm

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/god5.htm

Just a little simple reading (there's a very nice little video somewhere by the same people that talks about a "devine jug of milk")

bil Oct 1st 2010 7:25 pm

You know how they say there are no atheists in foxholes? (ie when your life is in danger, you suddenly start praying?

Me, when in the sh*t, I pray thus to any listening deity.

'***** you. ***** you, and f*uck the cheap, diseased whore who sh*t you out like the turd you are!

I like to feel that this gets right to the nub of the matter

whitelinen Oct 1st 2010 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 8890102)
Y

'***** you. ***** you, and f*uck the cheap, diseased whore who sh*t you out like the turd you are!

blimey.

bil Oct 1st 2010 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Trixie_b (Post 8890090)

Just a little simple reading (there's a very nice little video somewhere by the same people that talks about a "devine jug of milk")

Thanks for that most interesting, although after reading some of that religious cack, I now have to spend time prying chunks of vomit out of my keyboard.

It is pathetic the lengths these people will go to in order to justify their belief system.

Don't you think they are rather counting on god really, really liking butt kissers?

I'll admire them a bit the day they announce that no religious building will ever carry insurance or lightning conductors.

whitelinen Oct 1st 2010 7:30 pm

the same people that talks about a "devine jug of milk")

I am lactose intolerant so no use to me :)

bil Oct 1st 2010 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by whitelinen (Post 8890107)
blimey.

Hey, that's my profound beliefs you are criticising there.

Light the bonfire, we have a blasphemer!!!

kimilseung Oct 1st 2010 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 8890102)
You know how they say there are no atheists in foxholes?

I noted in Touching the Void, that Joe Simpson, when in the crevace, sates that he did not turn to God.

bil Oct 1st 2010 7:33 pm

On another board some time ago when the gawdelpus 'miraculous' landing of that plane on the Hudson river took place, one of the resident retards posted a pic that had a pair of divine hands gently lowering the plane onto the water.

I posted asking that in balance would they post a picture of people jumping from the twin towers to certain death, with a huge divine hand in the sky giving them all the finger.

For some reason that didn't go down at all well.

bil Oct 1st 2010 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 8890121)
I noted in Touching the Void, that Joe Simpson, when in the crevace, sates that he did not turn to God.

Good for him. I'd rather have a strong rope and a good mate at the top any day.

Trixie_b Oct 1st 2010 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by whitelinen (Post 8890112)
I am lactose intolerant so no use to me :)

hehe

kimilseung Oct 1st 2010 7:50 pm

Dick Dasterdly Oct 1st 2010 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by whitelinen (Post 8890081)
Yes but then Elspeth is a very interesting person.

My own opinion is that prayers help or comfort those who pray. I have never seen any evidence that prayers help in any other way. Much in the way that people rush to say goodbye to a dying person, the only person to gain anything from this is the person who went to say goodbye.

Believe it or not, there are those who believe in God or religion, who are not in any way involved with paedo priests or indeed any priests or places of worship at all.
They have no wish to start WW3 or indeed cause any bother or discomfort to any living thing.
They don't regularly attend church, go round preaching fire and brimstone or any other claptrap.
They basically just get comfort from their prayers and religion, and nothing more.
They could be ppl.who simply believe in the basic principles of Christian religion. They could be buddhist monks or whatever else.
Whilst a non believer myself, I still respect the rights of such ppl.and see no reason why they should all be tarred with the same brush, by those launching vindictive attacks on all sectors of religious ppl.

Another thing, I wonder just how many non-believers on here were christened at church or chapel or had their offspring christened or baptised at church or chapel ?

whitelinen Oct 1st 2010 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 8890156)
Whilst a non believer myself, I still respect the rights of such ppl.and see no reason why they should all be tarred with the same brush, by those launching vindictive attacks on all sectors of religious ppl.

Another thing, I wonder just how many non-believers on here were christened at church or chapel or had their offspring christened or baptised at church or chapel ?

I firmly believe that people should be free to follow any religion they wish as long as they dont try and foist it on to me.

And in answer to your question yes to doing all that including getting married in a church but I was once a believer/follower call it what you will but later changed my mind :)

bil Oct 1st 2010 8:06 pm

Believe it or not, there are those who believe in God or religion, who are not in any way involved with paedo priests or indeed any priests or places of worship at all.
They have no wish to start WW3 or indeed cause any bother or discomfort to any living thing.
They don't regularly attend church, go round preaching fire and brimstone or any other claptrap.
They basically just get comfort from their prayers and religion, and nothing more.
They could be ppl.who simply believe in the basic principles of Christian religion. They could be buddhist monks or whatever else.

Well, first off the 'good xtians' you talk of pollute children's minds, denying them the right to grow up without indoctrination.

Second, these 'goodies' seldom really follow xtain rules. they pick and mix what tehy choose to believe from teh bible, and when it scomes to Jesus's command that you should love your neighbour as yourself, they don't.

Vindictive? Oh puh-leeze.

Oh yeah. I had no say in my christening. I didn't, wouldn't get married in church, nor were any of our kids baptized.

As if.

bil Oct 1st 2010 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by whitelinen (Post 8890165)
I firmly believe that people should be free to follow any religion they wish as long as they dont try and foist it on to me.

And in answer to your question yes to doing all that including getting married in a church but I was once a believer/follower call it what you will but later changed my mind :)

How about allowing them to foist it on others, especially children?

kimilseung Oct 1st 2010 8:13 pm

They could be buddhist monks

It is about time that the buddhist monks were not just given a get out of jail card.

I strongly recommend Ekai Kawaguchi's book "Three Years in Tibet", to see what a practicing buddhist monk had to say about some of his colleagues.

Sally Redux Oct 1st 2010 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 8890180)
Oh yeah. I had no say in my christening. I didn't, wouldn't get married in church, nor were any of our kids baptized.

As if.

Same here.

bil Oct 1st 2010 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 8890190)
It is about time that the buddhist monks were not just given a get out of jail card.

I strongly recommend Ekai Kawaguchi's book "Three Years in Tibet", to see what a practicing buddhist monk had to say about some of his colleagues.

I doubt that any religion has a spotless record for its personnel.

Priesthood and the godbothering business are both very corrupting.

bil Oct 1st 2010 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8890194)
Same here.

I take it a tad further. I want my ashes scattered on unconsecrated ground to ensure the church can't get its hooks on me.

Sally Redux Oct 1st 2010 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 8890195)
I doubt that any religion has a spotless record for its personnel.

Priesthood and the godbothering business are both very corrupting.

One positive thing about Buddhism as opposed to other belief systems is that the Dalai Lama will accept new scientific findings.

Originally Posted by bil (Post 8890196)
I take it a tad further. I want my ashes scattered on unconsecrated ground to ensure the church can't get its hooks on me.

:lol:

Dick Dasterdly Oct 1st 2010 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 8890180)
Well, first off the 'good xtians' you talk of pollute children's minds, denying them the right to grow up without indoctrination.

Second, these 'goodies' seldom really follow xtain rules. they pick and mix what tehy choose to believe from teh bible, and when it scomes to Jesus's command that you should love your neighbour as yourself, they don't.

Vindictive? Oh puh-leeze.

As if.

Your first two statements are merely a matter of opinion and not necessarily always the case.
I wonder how many non believing parents incl.yourself would deny a daughter a church wedding if that's what she preferred ?

Sally Redux Oct 1st 2010 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 8890207)
I wonder how many non believing parents incl.yourself would deny a daughter a church wedding if that's what she preferred ?

What a strange argument. An adult daughter could do as she pleased.

kimilseung Oct 1st 2010 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8890199)
One positive thing about Buddhism as opposed to other belief systems is that the Dalai Lama will accept new scientific findings.

:lol:

While my intuition has a great deal of time for the Dalai Lama, it needs to be noted that he is the first Dalai Lama in a while to be out of power, and all his predecessors (him in previous incarnations, if you will) were a right gang of evil murdering and torturing gits. We will never know what he would have had to say about things if he had managed to get power in Tibet.

bil Oct 1st 2010 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 8890207)
Your first two statements are merely a matter of opinion and not necessarily always the case.

Yeah, because no parent ever tries to get their kids to follow their flavour of sky pixie, do they?

My daughter does as she pleases. She's an adult. I have never told her what to believe, just to question everything and apply critical reasoning.

That's a really dumb thing to say.

Here's one for you.

Add up all the bad for religion, and all the good, and tell me which weighs heaviest.

Sally Redux Oct 1st 2010 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 8890210)
While my intuition has a great deal of time for the Dalai Lama, it needs to be noted that he is the first Dalai Lama in a while to be out of power, and all his predecessors (him in previous incarnations, if you will) were a right gang of evil murdering and torturing gits. We will never know what he would have had to say about things if he had managed to get power in Tibet.

Fair point. I'm not familiar with Tibet, but enjoyed reading his book The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality.

bil Oct 1st 2010 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8890217)
Fair point. I'm not familiar with Tibet, but enjoyed reading his book The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality.

If every Bhuddist were as the D Lama, it would be pretty damn good.

Dick Dasterdly Oct 1st 2010 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8890208)
What a strange argument. An adult daughter could do as she pleased.

Well I probably worded it badly,maybe I should have said supported it,gone along with it and attended or took part in the ceremony, would have been more appropriate.

Sally Redux Oct 1st 2010 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 8890223)
Well I probably worded it badly,maybe I should have said supported it,gone along with it and attended or took part in the ceremony, would have been more appropriate.

Just because I don't belive, doesn't mean I can't enter a church. I have attended many weddings including C of E, Catholic, Muslim and Hindu.

kimilseung Oct 1st 2010 8:34 pm

I am really unsure what this is supposed to be saying.

I am an atheist, my daughter did not get baptised, but she does go to a church pre-school. I had knowledge of religion as I went to catholic school, I feel I rejected that religion then from a position of knowledge, and other as I read in later life. I want my daughter to be knowledgeable about many areas of life and the world and for her to make decisions based on knowledge and not on what her father tells her. In the culture that I live, knowledge of christianity is needed to participate fully in that cullture, christianity is refrenced in art, film and books, and in language on a daily basis. As are the religions of rome and Greece.

edit: If I understand your point correctly, my answer is that a non beliver will still happily deal with religion on a cultural level, I think christians are the same, most will happily talk about an achillies heal, and not think they have to believe that he really was dipped in the river Styx

bil Oct 1st 2010 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 8890223)

Here's a fun story. Occasionally I have to attend a church service to give support to family or friends. I have no wish to cause embarrassment, so I stand when the sing, but do not open my mouth or pick up the hymnbook.

I sit during prayers, I will not kneel.

At my uncle's funeral, the c*ck sucker of a priest saw me not singing, climbed down from his perch, stormed over to me, and handed me an open hymnbook in front of everyone. I took it, and staring him in the eye all the time, closed it and just dropped it. He stepped back (presumably expecting me to sprout horns) and went on with the service without saying a word.

In order to prove a point, one year I worked my way thru a bible tearing out the pages and using it as toilet paper (but only for the first wipe, where each page collected the most of what it deserved.) The empty covers went in the dustbin.

Dick Dasterdly Oct 1st 2010 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 8890242)

In order to prove a point, one year I worked my way thru a bible tearing out the pages and using it as toilet paper (but only for the first wipe, where each page collected the most of what it deserved.) The empty covers went in the dustbin.

Bit extreme innit ?:rofl:

bil Oct 1st 2010 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 8890267)
Bit extreme innit ?:rofl:

Not at all. It was and is my belief that it was only worth wiping my *rse on.

Here's a question.

If someone who has 'an imaginary friend' is a nutter, how come millions of people who claim to have the same imaginary friend have to be treated with respect?

Sally Redux Oct 1st 2010 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 8890273)

Here's a question.

If someone who has 'an imaginary friend' is a nutter, how come millions of people who claim to have the same imaginary friend have to be treated with respect?

To put it more kindly, an imaginary friend is treated as a phase one grows out of.

kimilseung Oct 1st 2010 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 8890273)

Got to disagree with you on this. Bit like book burning, but a bit more weird.
Its the belief that the content is gods word, that makes it a problem.

Sally Redux Oct 1st 2010 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 8890285)
Got to disagree with you on this. Bit like book burning, but a bit more weird.
Its the belief that the content is gods word, that makes it a problem.

Whose belief?

kimilseung Oct 1st 2010 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8890291)
Whose belief?

:confused: The people that believe.

edit: let me try again.
The book is just a book, but some people think that its content is the word of god, that belief is what causes there to be a problem.

Sally Redux Oct 1st 2010 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 8890294)
:confused: The people that believe.

The Bible is a collection of writings by different authors. If someone wishes to wipe their arse on it, how is that hurting people who believe it to be 'The Word of God.'?

kimilseung Oct 1st 2010 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8890298)
The Bible is a collection of writings by different authors. If someone wishes to wipe their arse on it, how is that hurting people who believe it to be 'The Word of God.'?

I don't think it is hurting them distinctly. I think damaging books is a no-no that hurts our shared culture.