Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Pounds down again.

Pounds down again.

Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pounds down again.

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Depends on the friend, she may just want to get hold of some sterling to travel. Better than going through an exchange place if calculated correctly..for both people

A friend in Spain used to always give me a shopping list of things when I went to UK. When I got back she would pay me the equivalent in euro. Always worked to her advantage, never said anything as I would have felt petty saying I was a tenner or so out of pocket.
so true Jacky, I am grateful to her, she gets to come back to Britain and I get a free holiday, we have arranged it as a regular thing as it's something to do with her house insurance not being valid in the uk if it's empty for a certain period of time. I am really looking forward to it as the temperature here is way below freezing and set to stay that way for a good few weeks. Also she picks me up from Alicante airport and gets me back there for the return flights so if I am out of pocket a bit I still get the best of the deal.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
when I came out in mid December the local Co-operative Travel had the best deal on the high street
Depends where you live but I always use this website to source the best rate

http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/
Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
You know what, I actually spent more than 15 seconds writing the application

If you want me to double check for spelling and typos on my posts then I will send you a quote for my time, I have a reasonable hourly rate
You can't claim it to be a typo as you constantly use that misspelling, but I've been too polite to point it out.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirley and anthony hide
Depends where you live but I always use this website to source the best rate

http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/
On this site best for me to collect is 1.1910 . Interbank rate at moment is 1.1973.So pretty damn good methinks.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Domino and Jackytoo... Much appreciated.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

On this site best for me to collect is 1.1910 . Interbank rate at moment is 1.1973.So pretty damn good methinks.
Thanks for your help
Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
He's turned down a bonus on top of a salary of 1.2 million, his Chairman turned a bigger bonus down before it was announced, now we wait to see what the boss of Barclays does with his bonus of £6.5million. These people are paid silly money in any case, and in the current ecconomic climate it's obscene for them to accept any bonuses, after all the current problems were started by the banks getting greedy and making huge mistakes.
Instead of paying these people ridiculous sums in bonus payments they should instead use those vast sums to pay decent interest on our savings.
It has now come to the point where it's advantageous to keep your money in a home safe rather than in a bank, that way you don't have to declare it for tax.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:35 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

xe.com is currently advertising €1.19911/£0.83395

just need to get an account with them and away you go
Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:37 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Instead of paying these people ridiculous sums in bonus payments they should instead use those vast sums to pay decent interest on our savings.
It has now come to the point where it's advantageous to keep your money in a home safe rather than in a bank, that way you don't have to declare it for tax.
remember where granny kept her money ??

they give you 2% if you put money with them for them to use but charge you 10%+ if you want to borrow it back again.

anyone interested in starting a personal bank ??
Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light

Currency news is quoting interbank rate at 1.20028 atm so looks like a small improvement.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

xe.com is currently advertising €1.19911/£0.83395

just need to get an account with them and away you go
We are talking about cash.

I think these people will transfer money to a euro account for you in exchange for GBP Whic you will have to deposit first. But doubt they will give you cash.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

We are talking about cash.

I think these people will transfer money to a euro account for you in exchange for GBP Whic you will have to deposit first. But doubt they will give you cash.
All these quote you are getting are real time mid market rates .
These are used by professionals to trade with each other with a small spread of probably a point or two ie .0001 or .0002 . They are not for the likes of me or you as they trade in sums of generally 5 to 10 million or more. Bit to much for 2 weeks in Magaluf I think.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 2:03 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

All these quote you are getting are real time mid market rates .
These are used by professionals to trade with each other with a small spread of probably a point or two ie .0001 or .0002 . They are not for the likes of me or you as they trade in sums of generally 5 to 10 million or more. Bit to much for 2 weeks in Magaluf I think.
bit too much for my little pension too.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

remember where granny kept her money ??

they give you 2% if you put money with them for them to use but charge you 10%+ if you want to borrow it back again.

anyone interested in starting a personal bank ??
I'm getting a better rate than that, but it is a long term investment.

As for borrowing...remember granny said....neither a borrower nor a lender be!
Old Jan 31st 2012, 2:47 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

if you need to change pounds for euros or vice versa, it is good to do a private transaction between a person you trust and yourself.

I have just done the figures between buying and selling 3k pounds, just as an example.
the difference between what you would sell pounds for and buy pounds for is

Selling: GBP 3,000.00
Buying: EUR 3,552.90 Rate: 1.1843

EUR 3,657.20
Buying: GBP 3,000.00
Rate: 0.8203

If you split it down the middle for both parties each one will have saved/gained 52.15.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.