Postal address

Old Nov 14th 2017, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

marmate53 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Postal address

I am having serious problems trying to get post and parcels to my address in spain. i have been given 3 addresses, even from the padron and not one works.
My urbanisation is located across 3 streets on an island. I have tried to address my home delivery on my correct street but drivers even the post office keep saying they cannot find my home. The street i live on spreads along 4 miles and many urbanisations, so there are dozens of number 11,s. The urbanisation is clearly marked but still having problems. How do i find my correct address to stop this problem happening?
Old Nov 14th 2017, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Postal address

Originally Posted by marmate53
I am having serious problems trying to get post and parcels to my address in spain. i have been given 3 addresses, even from the padron and not one works.
My urbanisation is located across 3 streets on an island. I have tried to address my home delivery on my correct street but drivers even the post office keep saying they cannot find my home. The street i live on spreads along 4 miles and many urbanisations, so there are dozens of number 11,s. The urbanisation is clearly marked but still having problems. How do i find my correct address to stop this problem happening?
I would just give your house a name and always include house name when you order, especially if there are many number 11's. If you make a house name sign, there's no excuse.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 6:23 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

A lot of places use the kilometre number to identify an area; as Carretera Madrid 2,1 so 100 metres past the 2 KM sign

Davexf
Old Nov 15th 2017, 6:54 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Get a post box at your local post office. "apartado de correos". It works.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Find your house on Google Earth, that should give you the correct address and will be available on GPS. We have the same problem here, in inland Spain it's common for the road names and numbers to change several times over the years. I find with deliveries that I tell them the road and how many kilometres it is along there from the nearest village.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the comments. i will try each one for sure.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

FranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond repute

I can't speak for the Post Office as we have no postal address, but in my experience Spanish delivery drivers make absolutely minimal effort to find our place even when provided with directions and a map, and sometimes GPS co-ordinates too. Although it doesn't have a name, our road is the first turning right off the main road into town, approx. 2 mins from the turning and the first and only house in the road. On the basis of the directions I just typed, EVERY ONE of our UK visitors has found us first time without any difficulty. But no delivery driver has EVER found us (or bothered to try), even local delivery drivers phone and ask us to meet them somewhere on the main road.

We once gave a friend's postal address in the town, but even then the driver stopped at the petrol station, phoned and asked us to come and meet him.

PS: you can have parcels POSTED to your local Post Office using the free Lista de Correos service, for you to collect. This doesn't apply to courier deliveries, only post.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 7:38 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Over here, if you don't live in a town or village, there is no postal service. It's just the way it is. UPS, Fed-x, Seur, and others will indeed try to find you, but you need to provide some specifics. Even if it's just GPS coordinates. Phone number is important.They will call you. Correos, however, won't bother if it's rural.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

My area is quite a large expat community, yet hardly any courier speaks english. Seur have been ok but the rest as you say cannot be bothered, even though ive given them maps,GPS and phone numbers they never call. You go onto tracking and they say have
tried and left card but never seen a card ever.
i am also having trouble with Iberdrola, been paying someone elses electric bills for 4 months because they cannot get my address right. have threatened to cut us off if we dont pay our bill but its still in there name, even when our lawyer has been to see them.
Not only were we paying someone elses bill they have decided to change his property into my name . All they had to do was change previous owners name to mine and they cannot get that right, what a nightmare. Was it really worth the effort moving here?
Old Nov 17th 2017, 3:07 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marmate53
Was it really worth the effort moving here?
As you are in Spain, expect all residents to speak Spanish and consider yourself lucky if any of them speak any English.

It is part of the fun of living here to laugh at the efforts you have to input to achieve that which is the "norm" in the UK - just sit back and laugh - you will never change the Spanish - just have a heart attack trying.

Davexf
Old Nov 17th 2017, 3:25 am
Just Joined

I do understand what your saying. Why should anyone in a foreign country have to speak english just for us. We are an arrogant nation as we expect people to be like us. iI think if your in a foreign country you should at least try to learn their language which i am trying to do. However even if you are in an area where the majority speak a language you should have a go at learning their language as well to aid communication in all restaurants and bars as well as deliveries. I would love to be able to spaek spanish all the time but it will take a while.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

FranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond repute

I go to Spain to get away from what is the "norm" in the UK. The lack of business efficiency irritated me no end for the first few months, and then I realised that the other side of that particular coin is that (certainly in my area) consumerism is not king, no-one is attempting to sell me something at every opportunity, and pretending that it's Christmas before November has even started. At Easter this year in my local Mercadona, there was precisely ONE type of chocolate egg for sale, and that unbranded. Larga vida a la diferencia.