Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Poollounger's thread

Poollounger's thread

Old Dec 19th 2006, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold
Default Poollounger's thread

I admire your skills as a moderator, JDR, and am hesitant to question your judgement but I don't think that web site is there for commercial gain.

Perhaps it may be acceptable to suggest that anyone who wishes to say no to paying through the nose for this type of number should type 0870 into Google.

Perhaps some enterprising person could compile a similar site in Spain in respect of 902 numbers. How about www.sayBOOto902.es
Old Dec 19th 2006, 2:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poollounger's thread

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
I admire your skills as a moderator, JDR, and am hesitant to question your judgement but I don't think that web site is there for commercial gain.

Perhaps it may be acceptable to suggest that anyone who wishes to say no to paying through the nose for this type of number should type 0870 into Google.

Perhaps some enterprising person could compile a similar site in Spain in respect of 902 numbers. How about www.sayBOOto902.es
I know what you are saying but read rule 8.
Nobody had asked for advice and the link was just posted as a promotional url, so breaches rule 8, that rule is to stop spamming, if it had been left on I would have to leave all promotional urls on including all the spammers.
I have pm`d poolounger to explain what to do. ;-)
Old Dec 19th 2006, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I know what you are saying but read rule 8.
Nobody had asked for advice and the link was just posted as a promotional url, so breaches rule 8, that rule is to stop spamming, if it had been left on I would have to leave all promotional urls on including all the spammers.
I have pm`d poolounger to explain what to do. ;-)
I am now agog to find out what the thread was all about!
Old Dec 19th 2006, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

JDR, yes appreciated.

Glynis, if you follow the suggestion in my first post all should become clear. Or imagine you had asked if anyone knew of an alternative to having to call UK numbers that begin with 0870.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Poollounger's thread

Originally Posted by glynis
I am now agog to find out what the thread was all about!
Hi glynis,

There is a movement in Uk which is brassed off with the high cost of dialling standard national numbers.

It is especially so if you have left BT and joined a landline provider who gives you all your calls at anytime for a fixed low monthly cost. They charge a premium for non standard dialling prefixes.

To avoid this excessive charge we have all decided to "say no to 0870" where you will find a website which will give you a normal dialling code in exchange for the rip-off one for large companies such as banks and government departments who are using the 0870 prefix with increasing regularity.

If you are in UK and want to dial one of these numbers you just look up the alternative on the worldwideweb.com site and you nearly always find an alternative standard code.

Regards,

John.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, this is the same situation in Spain with 902 numbers. With ADSL Duo I get all my national calls free but not to 902 numbers.

If I want to call Sevillana, for example, to report a breakdown in the electricity supply (perhaps I should say 'when' rather and 'if') I have to pay for the privilege whereas if they supplied a normal geographical number I would not have to.

So far the only company I have manage to extract a normal number from is ADT and this was only because they called me one day and forgot to withhold the number. I now use this number when calling them without comment so they are obviously not aware that I am using an unpublicised number.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, this is the same situation in Spain with 902 numbers. With ADSL Duo I get all my national calls free but not to 902 numbers.

If I want to call Sevillana, for example, to report a breakdown in the electricity supply (perhaps I should say 'when' rather and 'if') I have to pay for the privilege whereas if they supplied a normal geographical number I would not have to.

So far the only company I have manage to extract a normal number from is ADT and this was only because they called me one day and forgot to withhold the number. I now use this number when calling them without comment so they are obviously not aware that I am using an unpublicised number.
Hi Beachcomber,

So you can imagine how useful a www.saynoto902.com website would be!

Regards,

John.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:49 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the support guys..I was merely trying to help not advertise a site to which I have no connection. I admire some of the crafty ways some of you have been trying to impart the info without getting accused of spamming. Jdr has been supportive but is trying to enforce the letter of the law as his responsibilities demand.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:56 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

JDR, yes appreciated.

Glynis, if you follow the suggestion in my first post all should become clear. Or imagine you had asked if anyone knew of an alternative to having to call UK numbers that begin with 0870.
I cant believe nobody`s asked as in your quote yet, then its ok for poollounger to post it.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

I didn't want to be too cheeky.

Poollounger, can you please give us a link to a website that gives alternative geographical numbers to those that begin with 0870?
Old Dec 19th 2006, 11:13 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

I didn't want to be too cheeky.

Poollounger, can you please give us a link to a website that gives alternative geographical numbers to those that begin with 0870?
Happy to oblige Beachcomber. It is www.saynoto0870.co.uk.
Do people realise that the companies that use these 0870 numbers also get a percentage of the call charge???
Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes. It's the same with 902 numbers in Spain!!