Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Police check from abroad

Police check from abroad

Old Aug 5th 2016, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

missyellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police check from abroad

Hello, does anyone have any experience of applying for the Spanish police/criminal record check from abroad? I'm filling in the 790 form and am finding it very confusing, then having to go to a bank to pay the fee. It also mentions having to have it legalised to be valid abroad?! If anyone can help at all I would really appreciate it!
Old Aug 5th 2016, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Maur-Ross is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police check from abroad

Maybe not much help to you. One of my sons applied to the UK checking service for voluntary work abroad and the foreign company accepted that. Today another son in UK, who has offer of job in Spain has been asked to get UK check also. In addition, he has been asked to get his degree 'notarised'. This seems to involve our solicitor authenticating them ie, official letter and his stamp then scanning it back.
Would they not accept UK one?
Old Aug 5th 2016, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your response! I'm applying for work in schools back in the UK and they're requested a check from Spain, where I have just returned to the UK from after one year... My experience of Spanish paperwork when I was over there was that it was not straight forward and this doesn't seem to be either.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi missyellow

I got my spanish police check legalised/notarised when I moved away from Spain. I did it in person however. When I went to the office to request it, they told me exactly what I had to to - gave me an address in Madrid to send it to, told me to include a special delivery envelope with it and I got it back within a week. However I was moving to another spanish speaking country so no translation was needed, not sure if you need to look at that as well?

(I think in your shoes I might be tempted to use it as an excuse to go for a few days back in Spain and get it done in person....)

Good luck

Edited to add - interestingly, it seems that as of March this year, to teach in Spain you now need a slightly different certificate, the Solicitud de Certificado de Delitos de Naturaleza Sexual

Last edited by rachelk; Aug 5th 2016 at 6:55 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

I think what they are talking about is the Hague Apostille which effectively authenticates a translation from a foreign language.An official translator will know about this and know what to do.
On the Form 790 itself there is a section specifically asking if the Police Check required is for abroad.
Not sure how you are going to manage this from UK as it is completely geared to being done in Spain , for example the fee you mention should be paid into a Spanish bank and then you take the receipt with you to prove you have paid.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

A quick web search shows the procedure in english on the Spanish Ministry of Justice site
Criminal Record Certificate - Personal formalities and procedures - Ministry of Justice

Yes you can do it by post.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here is the complete process as done by an American :
https://knockingondoorsblog.wordpres...d-certificate/
Old Aug 5th 2016, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Look at the entry under "Apostille" on Wikipedia and the process of legalisation will be clearer.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Not sure how you are going to manage this from UK as it is completely geared to being done in Spain , for example the fee you mention should be paid into a Spanish bank and then you take the receipt with you to prove you have paid.
Payment shouldn't be a problem, there's info on the site and you can pay by bank transfer.

I had to get the certificate legalized by the Ministerio de Justicia in Madrid - it's this part I'm not clear about, whether you'd have to do that and how to manage it from overseas.
Old Aug 6th 2016, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much guys! I might go into the Spanish embassy in London and see about getting it legalised. Hopefully I can get it sorted correctly with all your help
Old Aug 6th 2016, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missyellow
Thank you so much guys! I might go into the Spanish embassy in London and see about getting it legalised. Hopefully I can get it sorted correctly with all your help
It's the consulate you need not the embassy.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

largy is an unknown quantity at this point

Miss Yellow, did you manage to sort out your police certificate from Spain?
Old Dec 17th 2016, 12:21 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by largy
Miss Yellow, did you manage to sort out your police certificate from Spain?
It's really simple. Fill in the form, pay the money, hand the form and receipt into your SS office (for us it was PROP) and wait.

You get back a result of your record here and from your country of birth (England for me).
Old Dec 17th 2016, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

largy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snikpoh
It's really simple. Fill in the form, pay the money, hand the form and receipt into your SS office (for us it was PROP) and wait.

You get back a result of your record here and from your country of birth (England for me).
Thanks for the response. I'm from England too, what is SS office? I went to pay the €3.70 fee today via my Santander bank but she told me they charge £25 & I should look for a cheaper alternative!
Old Dec 18th 2016, 10:12 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

SS == Social Security (also INSS) but we use PROP here.

As for paying, only some banks will do it - try elsewhere