British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Police check from abroad (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/police-check-abroad-881477/)

missyellow Aug 5th 2016 1:21 pm

Police check from abroad

Hello, does anyone have any experience of applying for the Spanish police/criminal record check from abroad? I'm filling in the 790 form and am finding it very confusing, then having to go to a bank to pay the fee. It also mentions having to have it legalised to be valid abroad?! If anyone can help at all I would really appreciate it!

Maur-Ross Aug 5th 2016 5:46 pm

Re: Police check from abroad

Maybe not much help to you. One of my sons applied to the UK checking service for voluntary work abroad and the foreign company accepted that. Today another son in UK, who has offer of job in Spain has been asked to get UK check also. In addition, he has been asked to get his degree 'notarised'. This seems to involve our solicitor authenticating them ie, official letter and his stamp then scanning it back.
Would they not accept UK one?

missyellow Aug 5th 2016 6:44 pm

Thanks for your response! I'm applying for work in schools back in the UK and they're requested a check from Spain, where I have just returned to the UK from after one year... My experience of Spanish paperwork when I was over there was that it was not straight forward and this doesn't seem to be either.

rachelk Aug 5th 2016 6:52 pm

Hi missyellow

I got my spanish police check legalised/notarised when I moved away from Spain. I did it in person however. When I went to the office to request it, they told me exactly what I had to to - gave me an address in Madrid to send it to, told me to include a special delivery envelope with it and I got it back within a week. However I was moving to another spanish speaking country so no translation was needed, not sure if you need to look at that as well?

(I think in your shoes I might be tempted to use it as an excuse to go for a few days back in Spain and get it done in person....)

Good luck

Edited to add - interestingly, it seems that as of March this year, to teach in Spain you now need a slightly different certificate, the Solicitud de Certificado de Delitos de Naturaleza Sexual

Loafing Along Aug 5th 2016 8:30 pm

I think what they are talking about is the Hague Apostille which effectively authenticates a translation from a foreign language.An official translator will know about this and know what to do.
On the Form 790 itself there is a section specifically asking if the Police Check required is for abroad.
Not sure how you are going to manage this from UK as it is completely geared to being done in Spain , for example the fee you mention should be paid into a Spanish bank and then you take the receipt with you to prove you have paid.

Loafing Along Aug 5th 2016 8:36 pm

A quick web search shows the procedure in english on the Spanish Ministry of Justice site
Criminal Record Certificate - Personal formalities and procedures - Ministry of Justice

Yes you can do it by post.

Loafing Along Aug 5th 2016 8:40 pm

Here is the complete process as done by an American :
https://knockingondoorsblog.wordpres...d-certificate/

scot47 Aug 5th 2016 9:10 pm

Look at the entry under "Apostille" on Wikipedia and the process of legalisation will be clearer.

rachelk Aug 5th 2016 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Loafing Along (Post 12020832)
Not sure how you are going to manage this from UK as it is completely geared to being done in Spain , for example the fee you mention should be paid into a Spanish bank and then you take the receipt with you to prove you have paid.

Payment shouldn't be a problem, there's info on the site and you can pay by bank transfer.

I had to get the certificate legalized by the Ministerio de Justicia in Madrid - it's this part I'm not clear about, whether you'd have to do that and how to manage it from overseas.

missyellow Aug 6th 2016 9:51 am

Thank you so much guys! I might go into the Spanish embassy in London and see about getting it legalised. Hopefully I can get it sorted correctly with all your help :)

EsuriJohn Aug 6th 2016 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by missyellow (Post 12021055)
Thank you so much guys! I might go into the Spanish embassy in London and see about getting it legalised. Hopefully I can get it sorted correctly with all your help :)

It's the consulate you need not the embassy.

largy Dec 16th 2016 5:39 pm

Miss Yellow, did you manage to sort out your police certificate from Spain?

snikpoh Dec 17th 2016 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by largy (Post 12130743)
Miss Yellow, did you manage to sort out your police certificate from Spain?

It's really simple. Fill in the form, pay the money, hand the form and receipt into your SS office (for us it was PROP) and wait.

You get back a result of your record here and from your country of birth (England for me).

largy Dec 17th 2016 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 12131245)
It's really simple. Fill in the form, pay the money, hand the form and receipt into your SS office (for us it was PROP) and wait.

You get back a result of your record here and from your country of birth (England for me).

Thanks for the response. I'm from England too, what is SS office? I went to pay the €3.70 fee today via my Santander bank but she told me they charge £25 & I should look for a cheaper alternative!

snikpoh Dec 18th 2016 10:12 am

SS == Social Security (also INSS) but we use PROP here.

As for paying, only some banks will do it - try elsewhere