Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

please help ??????

please help ??????

Old Nov 8th 2006, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

padgate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default please help ??????

Hello you good resident of Spain,I need some advice I wanting to relocate to Spain next year I am training To become a plasterer , I am hoping that I could find work in the building industry Please some one give me advice on what my chances ,are off landing a job,And what I might get paid

Many thanks
Old Nov 8th 2006, 9:39 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: please help ??????

Originally Posted by padgate
Hello you good resident of Spain,I need some advice I wanting to relocate to Spain next year I am training To become a plasterer , I am hoping that I could find work in the building industry Please some one give me advice on what my chances ,are off landing a job,And what I might get paid

Many thanks

Plastering is Very different over there and takes some getting used to! But its bloody good fun how its applied.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:08 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks
In general wages in Spain are lower than the UK, but then the cost of living is also lower. First thing is to learn Spanish, you are not going to get very far unless you do. There are plenty of buildings going up here on the Costas, and will be for some years by the look of things.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:49 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you wanted to be an estate agent??!!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:49 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I thought you wanted to be an estate agent??!!
Similar sort of cover up job I suppose
Old Nov 11th 2006, 7:10 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Similar sort of cover up job I suppose

Old Nov 11th 2006, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

padgate is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your kind comments , as one happens to be
Very positive minded the sample truth is I would never put all
My eggs in one basket , I think its called thinking out side the box
What if one can not find a job in a chosen field , you do not lay down and die
The good news is that the forum is so informative , it guided me away from
A well known estate agency .
Many thanks all

Ps forgot to mention Mac Anthony estate agency in my humble
Opinion seem to the must focused estate agency , only time will tell if
they can keep it up...

Last edited by padgate; Nov 11th 2006 at 12:21 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 12:26 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your kind comments , as one happens to be
Very positive minded the sample truth is I would never put all
My eggs in one basket , I think its called thinking out side the box
What if one can not find a job in a chosen field , you do not lay down and die
The good news is that the forum is so informative , it guided me away from
A well known estate agency .
Many thanks all

I agree with you.
Thats the way you have to be, I served time as an apprentice plumber and have done loads of different jobs, and still learning about real life.
At the mo I am a gardener/poolman, not quite as good looking as the one in Desperate Housewives, but I might have been 40 odd years ago
Old Nov 11th 2006, 5:18 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

The general rule of thumb in building in Spain is all that matters is speed. The faster you can do it the better, you don't need to bother with minor things caring about your work, or making sure everything is fitted in or if it works or not. In other words the building standards are third world, and the buildings aren't much better. People are shocked at how poor the building quality is.

I was in Plus the other day (a German chain) and they had a laser level 50% off and I laughed, what the hell do the Spanish need with a level, they'd never use it. Half the time they don't even bother using their eyes to see if its even close.

Other than that Spain is very nice.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 9:08 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tim hortons man
The general rule of thumb in building in Spain is all that matters is speed. The faster you can do it the better, you don't need to bother with minor things caring about your work, or making sure everything is fitted in or if it works or not. In other words the building standards are third world, and the buildings aren't much better. People are shocked at how poor the building quality is.

I was in Plus the other day (a German chain) and they had a laser level 50% off and I laughed, what the hell do the Spanish need with a level, they'd never use it. Half the time they don't even bother using their eyes to see if its even close.

Other than that Spain is very nice.
You are talking CRA*. Have you actually had a house built in Spain - I doubt it.

I have and the quality of build was far in excess of what I had in the UK.

No, they don't use laser levels, they use tubes full of water, just like the Romans did - and it works. We have a 300m2 terrace with 6 drains in it. When it rained last week (130mm) there was never a puddle on the terrace - it drained away perfectly. The levels in the pool, which are obvious to the eye, are within 1mm.

The interior and exterior finish was perfect and the foundations are so huge it will never fall down. In the UK the foundations of my house were just trenches a foot deep filled with cement with no reinforcement. Perhaps that's why we had to find £30000 when it started subsiding!

The new building regulations in Spain are very comprehensive and every build has a 10 year detailed warranty which does not come cheap as it involves many surveys and tests on the construction during the build process.

I would suggest that it is time for you to update your opinions about build quality in Spain.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 9:12 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You are talking CRA*. Have you actually had a house built in Spain - I doubt it.

I have and the quality of build was far in excess of what I had in the UK.

No, they don't use laser levels, they use plastic tubes full of water, just like the Romans did - and it works. We have a 300m2 terrace with 6 drains in it. When it rained last week (130mm) there was never a puddle on the terrace - it drained away perfectly. The levels in the pool, which are obvious to the eye, are within 1mm.

The interior and exterior finish was perfect and the foundations are so huge it will never fall down. In the UK the foundations of my house were just trenches a foot deep filled with cement with no reinforcement. Perhaps that's why we had to find £30000 when it started subsiding!

The new building regulations in Spain are very comprehensive and every build has a 10 year detailed warranty which does not come cheap as it involves many surveys and tests on the construction during the build process.

I would suggest that it is time for you to update your opinions about build quality in Spain.

Good on you for saying exactly what i suspect many were thinking. I have always found the Spanish to be accomplished and skilled builders, and i often refer people to the Barcelona Olympics
Old Nov 12th 2006, 2:24 am
mr cid

cidshock is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes our home was built to a very high standard and am extremely pleased with it.