Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Planning a recce trip to Spain

Planning a recce trip to Spain

Old May 25th 2010, 3:29 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning a recce trip to Spain

Ive been to the North of Spain, Gijon is lovely. However I did find somewhat isolated. Its 100% spanish it really is! Although we all come here with the best intentions of taking on spanish and mixing in and integrating. It really isnt that easy. Despite having spanish lessons twice a week for 6 months before going to gijon i really struggled to keep up with conversations. We do need a bit of our own flavour at times.

Which is why i like Estepona. Its incredibly Spanish, but at the same time. There are English bits you can retreat to. I agree i couldnt live in the tourist areas of Benedorm and in the midst of other brit havens. It just all seems too fake. I do love real spain and i love the real culture. Im forever heading off into the mountains north of the costa del sol to practically unknown little towns where it is completely spanish. Most Costa Del Sol holiday makers would never hit Jimena de La Frontera, or Castellar, or Algatocin. All are in easy reach of Estepona.
Old May 25th 2010, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

freddiem is an unknown quantity at this point

Trust me just find somewhere else, why do you think so many people are trying to sell up and get the hell out of it.
Old May 25th 2010, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freddiem
Trust me just find somewhere else, why do you think so many people are trying to sell up and get the hell out of it.
Do so many people want to get the hell out of it?
Old May 25th 2010, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

freddiem is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes they do
Old May 25th 2010, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by freddiem
Yes they do
Why not get a little more specific instead of making completely ludicrous statements that you don't back up?
Old May 25th 2010, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Freddiem I would truly beg to differ, we moved to Spain at the beginning of May and have no regrets. It baffles me why people continue to knock moving to Spain, ok you may have had a bad experience, people may have been ill prepared for the economic situation they found them selves in and had to return to their home lands and I would also hazard a guess that many of these were with broken hearts and tears.

We have no regrets, we had done as much homework as was possible although curved balls do get thrown at times but we would rather give it a go now than wonder what if in the future. You never know what the future holds, if you have to hold your head high and return home then learn a lesson and try again some other time but not to try at all will always leave you wondering.
Old May 25th 2010, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GregUK
The culture and location are more important to me than the climate. Anyway, I'm used to rain

I'll definitely have to check out the north coast. Is Spanish the primary language there?
The North Coast goes from Galicia, to Asturias, Cantabria and the Basque country.

Spanish is the number one language in Asturias and Cantabria and the joint official languages in Galicia and the Basque country. In any city you'll be fine with Spanish (except for maybe the odd Basque one), especially given that you dont need to find work there.

Do note that the culture and way of life in the North is very different from the South, just depends what you want.

onelineamiga makes a good point that if you speak no or little Spanish now, you will have a hard time, almost noone speaks English nor would they prepared to speak it to you if they did know English You will need to do a serious course of lessons. But it is perfect if you are moving to Spain to be part of the country.

Remember it takes years to learn a language, not weeks
Old May 25th 2010, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

GregUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks to all who have replied so far

I've just checked flight options from my two local airports, Manchester and Liverpool, which unfortunately rule out northern Spain and Valencia as options.

Am I right in thinking that the east coastal regions have Catalan as their primary language?

I'm very interested in exploring the Andalusia region further. Also, what is the Murcia region like as far as my criteria goes?
Old May 25th 2010, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

Andalusia is gorgeous if you find the right spot for you... It has a bit of everything in my opinion, I have travelled loads all over Spain, have lived in Barcelona, and am happy living in Andalusia! In Barcelona you don't "need" to learn Catalan but... Long story, look at previous posts by me on the subject.
Old May 25th 2010, 11:13 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

I am planning a recce trip to Spain with a view to moving out there. My criteria is as follows:
  • Within 30 minutes of the coast
  • Not over-developed (i.e. no high-rise hotels or building on the beach)
  • A predominately Spanish area, where British expats choose to integrate (no All Day English breakfasts etc.)
  • Not too far from a large town or city for access to amenities
  • Within 90 minutes of an airport with routes to the UK
  • Access to good schools and hospitals
  • Preferably (but not imperatively) an area with castellano as the primary language
I welcome any suggestions for places for me to investigate, and on the contrary, any areas that should definitely be avoided!

Many thanks

Greg

I've just checked flight options from my two local airports, Manchester and Liverpool, which unfortunately rule out northern Spain and Valencia as options.

Am I right in thinking that the east coastal regions have Catalan as their primary language?

I'm very interested in exploring the Andalusia region further. Also, what is the Murcia region like as far as my criteria goes?

I think you are trying to tick too many boxes considering that you are single and work from home and are only 27.

The type of place you are asking about sounds does not sound like "young, vibrant Sapin, which if you work from home, you would need to have more opportunity of making friends, as a very common sourse of making friends would be ruled out, it the workplace.

instead of trying to find a place which ticks all the boxes, why not find a place that ticks some.

I think a big city would be more suitable, and Why are you asking about good schools, if you have no children yet? I would be asking more about things that suited my life as a single childless man. ie the social life, things to do in my age group.

If you have children one day then the school aspect can be resolved, you are totally mobile, job goes with you wherever you are.

I dont see why good schools are important to you right now
so concerntrate on what your needs are now, not schools for future kiddies that wont be needed untill years down the line.

I presume you will be renting, which is the wise thing to do, so even if you have to move to 3 or 4 different places, I dont see it as being a problem.
Old May 25th 2010, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

GregUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JLFS
I think you are trying to tick too many boxes considering that you are single and work from home and are only 27.
I am married and would be moving with my wife. We plan to start a family in the next few years, so would ideally like to integrate into an area and stay there rather than moving around.

I agree though: maybe I am trying to tick too many boxes. They are no means set in stone; more of a starting point really
Old May 26th 2010, 6:28 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I am married and would be moving with my wife. We plan to start a family in the next few years, so would ideally like to integrate into an area and stay there rather than moving around.

I agree though: maybe I am trying to tick too many boxes. They are no means set in stone; more of a starting point really

Sorry I got the wrong end of the stick,

I dunno, the "I have no children bit" in your post must have confused me, as a married man I would have said "we have no children", so that is where I misunderstood.

as you did not refer to a wife in any of your posts, and your post did seem to me to be in 1st singular.
Old May 26th 2010, 6:30 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I got the wrong end of the stick,

I dunno, the "I have no children bit" in your post must have confused me, as a married man I would have said "we have no children", so that is where I misunderstood.

as you did not refer to a wife in any of your posts, and your post did seem to me to be in 1st singular.
now don't go getting grammatically technical

I have to admit I wondered the same though
Old May 26th 2010, 6:33 am
Banned

Originally Posted by lynnxa
now don't go getting grammatically technical

I have to admit I wondered the same though
Dont you start, how dare you start giving me grief this early in the morning,?

As a downtrodden male, I would get slaughtered if I used 1st singular.
Old May 26th 2010, 6:46 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Catalan is spoken in Cataluña/Catalonia - so if the north & Valencia are ruled out, you won't have to worry about that

Dont you start, how dare you start giving me grief this early in the morning,?

As a downtrodden male, I would get slaughtered if I used 1st singular.
better to be plural I reckon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.