Reload this Page >

Planning a recce trip to Spain

Planning a recce trip to Spain

Old May 25th 2010, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

GregUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Planning a recce trip to Spain

Hi all

I am planning a recce trip to Spain with a view to moving out there. My criteria is as follows:
  • Within 30 minutes of the coast
  • Not over-developed (i.e. no high-rise hotels or building on the beach)
  • A predominately Spanish area, where British expats choose to integrate (no All Day English breakfasts etc.)
  • Not too far from a large town or city for access to amenities
  • Within 90 minutes of an airport with routes to the UK
  • Access to good schools and hospitals
  • Preferably (but not imperatively) an area with castellano as the primary language
I welcome any suggestions for places for me to investigate, and on the contrary, any areas that should definitely be avoided!

Many thanks

Greg
Old May 25th 2010, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning a recce trip to Spain

Have a google at some of the places on this map!!
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf...8&iwloc=A&sa=X
Old May 25th 2010, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

Quick question, do you have children, do you need to find work, what climate do you prefer, and more or less what age range are you?! Important issues, more than whether there are English breakfasts! By the way, I live on the Costa del Sol and it really is mis-sold, if you know how to live there and choose the right location you don't need to see all the English stuff and can feel part of a community, although I guess from what you have said this area can be ruled out! I know the area that Valencia Tim has suggested (just west of Valencia), and it could be a good option, just depends on the previous questions I asked you!
Old May 25th 2010, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

Our village sounds like just what you want apart from we are an hour from the beach. We are not over developed, and it is very 'spanish' The spanish are great and love to involve you in everything. If there is something going on that you don't know about they knock on your door and tell you!!! There are several british families here, three of which have children. We are all well integrated into the village. There is a primary school in the village with about 30 children and the secondary school is 15 mins away in a large town. There is a free school bus. We are an hour from Malaga and Sevilla,45 mins from cordoba and about an hour and a half from Granada. Malaga, Sevilla and Granada all have airports with flights to the UK. The main hospital for the area is 25km away and is very good. The language is castellano/andalucian. The village has a municiple pool, doctors, gym (indoor)and a street gym, shop, bank, 3 bars (spanish), padel courts, football pitch.
Old May 25th 2010, 2:34 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

From your criteria, you would have to avoid the Costa Brava, Costa Blanca, Costa del Sol, in fact all the Costas and all the Brit areas. It leaves plenty places like Sevilla or Cordoba, but you would be more than 30 minutes from the coast.

The schools and hospitals are excellent in those areas, but you would need to speak fluent Spanish. Granada might also fit the bill, the city itself. And you would have the whole of northern Spain, of course.
Old May 25th 2010, 2:37 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GregUK
Hi all

I am planning a recce trip to Spain with a view to moving out there. My criteria is as follows:
  • Within 30 minutes of the coast
  • Not over-developed (i.e. no high-rise hotels or building on the beach)
  • A predominately Spanish area, where British expats choose to integrate (no All Day English breakfasts etc.)
  • Not too far from a large town or city for access to amenities
  • Within 90 minutes of an airport with routes to the UK
  • Access to good schools and hospitals
  • Preferably (but not imperatively) an area with castellano as the primary language
I welcome any suggestions for places for me to investigate, and on the contrary, any areas that should definitely be avoided!

Many thanks

Greg

We're in the North of Spain and I would suggest Gijon..

It's a hop skip and jump to great beaches.
No fish and chip shops.
Very few expats..we're dotted around Asturias.
Great schools and hospitals.
Great city - very family friendly.
Airport nearby with direct flights to Stanstead.
Sits perfectly next to Galicia.
Just like Cornwall (green and hilly).
Old May 25th 2010, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
Quick question, do you have children, do you need to find work, what climate do you prefer, and more or less what age range are you?! Important issues, more than whether there are English breakfasts! By the way, I live on the Costa del Sol and it really is mis-sold, if you know how to live there and choose the right location you don't need to see all the English stuff and can feel part of a community, although I guess from what you have said this area can be ruled out! I know the area that Valencia Tim has suggested (just west of Valencia), and it could be a good option, just depends on the previous questions I asked you!
I'm 27 with no children and no need to find work (I work from home). Climate wise, I don't really mind, but I'd prefer a less arid climate with milder winters and cooler summers to more extremes of temperature.

I haven't ruled anywhere out yet, so would be happy to consider the less touristy parts of the Costa del Sol. May I ask where on the Costa del Sol you live?
Old May 25th 2010, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manamama
We're in the North of Spain and I would suggest Gijon..

It's a hop skip and jump to great beaches.
No fish and chip shops.
Very few expats..we're dotted around Asturias.
Great schools and hospitals.
Great city - very family friendly.
Airport nearby with direct flights to Stanstead.
Sits perfectly next to Galicia.
Just like Cornwall (green and hilly).
Gijon is fantastic. Like someone else said the whole North Coast is a good bet, but the weather is rainier than the South.

If you want sunnier climes, then I love Cádiz province. They have incredible natural beaches and you are in prime flamenco, bulls and white villages country. There are quite a few Brits around, but as far as I've seen on my visits there, they are more discreet than in the CDS.

I second SaritaBarcelona's view btw, the Costa del Sol or other similar areas can be as Spanish or as British as you want it to be. It is down to you and how you live your life when you are here.
Old May 25th 2010, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cazzy1
Our village sounds like just what you want apart from we are an hour from the beach. We are not over developed, and it is very 'spanish' The spanish are great and love to involve you in everything. If there is something going on that you don't know about they knock on your door and tell you!!! There are several british families here, three of which have children. We are all well integrated into the village. There is a primary school in the village with about 30 children and the secondary school is 15 mins away in a large town. There is a free school bus. We are an hour from Malaga and Sevilla,45 mins from cordoba and about an hour and a half from Granada. Malaga, Sevilla and Granada all have airports with flights to the UK. The main hospital for the area is 25km away and is very good. The language is castellano/andalucian. The village has a municiple pool, doctors, gym (indoor)and a street gym, shop, bank, 3 bars (spanish), padel courts, football pitch.
Sounds perfect!

Being close to the beach was more of a want than a necessity.

Can I ask what your village is called? (Feel free to PM me if you don't want the whole forum moving in next week!)
Old May 25th 2010, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

freddiem is an unknown quantity at this point

do yourself a big favour and go somewhere else spain is a corrupt hell hole.
Old May 25th 2010, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GregUK
I'm 27 with no children and no need to find work (I work from home). Climate wise, I don't really mind, but I'd prefer a less arid climate with milder winters and cooler summers to more extremes of temperature.

I haven't ruled anywhere out yet, so would be happy to consider the less touristy parts of the Costa del Sol. May I ask where on the Costa del Sol you live?
If you work from home, as we do, I can only guess that you need an internet service.Some places are better than others for this.
Old May 25th 2010, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cricketman
Gijon is fantastic. Like someone else said the whole North Coast is a good bet, but the weather is rainier than the South.

If you want sunnier climes, then I love Cádiz province. They have incredible natural beaches and you are in prime flamenco, bulls and white villages country. There are quite a few Brits around, but as far as I've seen on my visits there, they are more discreet than in the CDS.

I second SaritaBarcelona's view btw, the Costa del Sol or other similar areas can be as Spanish or as British as you want it to be. It is down to you and how you live your life when you are here.
The culture and location are more important to me than the climate. Anyway, I'm used to rain

I'll definitely have to check out the north coast. Is Spanish the primary language there?
Old May 25th 2010, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by freddiem
do yourself a big favour and go somewhere else spain is a corrupt hell hole.
I'd be interested to hear more of your experiences in Spain.
Old May 25th 2010, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paintermujer
If you work from home, as we do, I can only guess that you need an internet service.Some places are better than others for this.
Thank you, this is a very good point.

Do you know if any of the operators have a map of broadband availability?
Old May 25th 2010, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

Our village has adsl, it also has a village internet system

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.