Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Plane crash in Madrid

Plane crash in Madrid

Old Aug 20th 2008, 4:30 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plane crash in Madrid

Originally Posted by Pollyana
One local source now reporting only about 20 survivors, rest died in the aircraft fire - please God that isn't accurate, but its a reliable source.
Now reports on the BBC saying over 100 dead.

G
Old Aug 20th 2008, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
TVE have been saying that all afternoon, only 27 surivors

How must it feel to be on an aircraft, trying to take off, knowing that it failed the first time?

God that must be the worse thing, in hindsight if it ever happened to me id run up the plane saying I got a bomb in my bag, that way I dont think it would take off, In guess I would get banged up for it but safer.

I hope we can learn what has really happened very soon
Old Aug 20th 2008, 4:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
Mmm, the repots I'm seeing certainly aren't good, figures rising all the time. More people believed dead than alive.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm, the repots I'm seeing certainly aren't good, figures rising all the time. More people believed dead than alive.
Unfortunately, 146 people have died, only 26 people have survived and 11 of these 26 have been recognized.
Just one hour and half before, the same plane had to land once it had already taken off due to a breakdown, but half an hour later, the plane took off again and burned, crashed and broke into pieces
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:03 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts are with the victims families and friends and i hope any survivors make a speedy recovery
Old Aug 20th 2008, 8:19 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
My thoughts are with the victims families and friends and i hope any survivors make a speedy recovery
same here.Its verry bad news.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Just hoping everyone's OK and not having to worry about loved one's, family, or friends. Nightmare stuff that happens occasionally. Thankfully it's a rare event!

Live to live. You never know when!

Beautiful country - beautiful life. Big news story, but there are far more vulnerable ways to live.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

This accident has remembered me to the accident of Los Rodeos, the worst accident in the whole history of the aviation (at least of the civil aviation): in 1977, in the airport of Los Rodeos (Tenerife) there was a collision between 2 airplanes 747 (for then, the biggest airplanes in that time): one of the KLM of Holland, and the other airplane of Panam, United States. Many factors intervened in this tragedy, as the fog. This accident produced many changes in the aviation. National Geographic made a video on The Rodeos. It is easy to find in youtube

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=qa4dr6...eature=related

Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonofspain1973
This accident has remembered me to the accident of Los Rodeos, the worst accident in the whole history of the aviation (at least of the civil aviation): in 1977, in the airport of Los Rodeos (Tenerife) there was a collision between 2 airplanes 747 (for then, the biggest airplanes in that time): one of the KLM of Holland, and the other airplane of Panam, United States. Many factors intervened in this tragedy, as the fog. This accident produced many changes in the aviation. National Geographic made a video on The Rodeos.
That one was truly horrendous, and caused a lot of learning in the airline world about clarity of speech, uniform terminology etc..
I had friends who were due to be on that flight but had changed at the last minute - still remember watching the footage from the time.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:30 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marisol
Unfortunately, 146 people have died, only 26 people have survived and 11 of these 26 have been recognized.
Just one hour and half before, the same plane had to land once it had already taken off due to a breakdown, but half an hour later, the plane took off again and burned, crashed and broke into pieces
What a sad day, I hope some good comes out of this awful incident... hopefully it'll teach not only this but also other airlines to take every measure to ensure passenger safety always...

My heart goes out to the relatives of all these victims, all accidents are sad, but the ones that could have been avoided even more so...
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:28 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

It surely is a tragedy. My heart goes out to all the families and friends who will be affected by this dreadful accident.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:51 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

my heart goes out to the families
Attached Thumbnails Plane crash in Madrid-prayers.gif  
Old Aug 21st 2008, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

MattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really nice

Only 19 survivors. Horrendous.

My thoughts are with their loved ones
Old Aug 21st 2008, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Dreadful news

Have been reading reports with growing horror since yesterday.

Such a tragic loss of life; and undoubtedly those few who have survived will have awful burn injuries

As everyone else, my thoughts are with the families of those killed and injured - and with those people who are helping them and caring for them.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

That one was truly horrendous, and caused a lot of learning in the airline world about clarity of speech, uniform terminology etc..
I had friends who were due to be on that flight but had changed at the last minute - still remember watching the footage from the time.
One of the big changes from Tenerife was that pilots are NOT allowed to use the words "take off" in the exchange with the control tower, except in the final acknowledgement. In other words pilots never say "ready for take off" - only "ready for departure".

Looking at the footage of the Madrid crash, it would appear that the aircraft had attained V1, the speed on the runway at which the plane is committed to fly. Engine failure at this point would ultimately mean the aircraft taking off, making a circuit (or divert) then a landing. It's a highly practiced event - and all commercial airliners are designed to continue the take off, fly and land perfectly safely on a single engine.

The graphics on BBC World / Spanish channels show a possible fire / explosion from the left hand engine, yet the plane veering to the right, failing to attain and hold altitude. That would appear to suggest loss of thrust and/or vital control surfaces (rudder / elevator) and/or failure to attain V2, possibly as a result of catastrophic engine failure.

What is becoming very clear is that what happened at Madrid was absolutely not a 'normal' engine / system failure.

Our hearts go out to the families involved in this tragic accident.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.