Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A Place in the sun

A Place in the sun

Old Nov 1st 2012, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Place in the sun

I'm just catching today's edition of the Place in the Sun Home and Away show - the Spanish part is featuring Lake Vinuela, a 15 minute drive from where I live. I bet they don't say anything about the illegal homes issue which affects a lot of properties in that area. There are legal ones as well, of course, but prospective purchasers would need to be wary.

The first part featured Cornwall. It still looks lovely (we always went there for holidays when I was a kid, my Dad's family was originally from there) but you don't get much house for your money!
Old Nov 1st 2012, 4:38 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R View Post

The first part featured Cornwall. It still looks lovely (we always went there for holidays when I was a kid, my Dad's family was originally from there) but you don't get much house for your money!
Yeh, but think of all that lovely wind and rain that comes entirely free and keeps the countryside nice and fresh all year round
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

......you forgot 'and attractive'.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 7:02 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rspltd View Post
......you forgot 'and attractive'.
When you can see it.

Must admit I normally enjoy a typical UK Summer, but this last one has been a bit extreme and I only hope its not a sign of things to come as some Met. experts are predicting.

Apart from all the rain I can't ever recall one with so little sunshine.
The lack of sunshine has caused all sorts of problems from apple crops down by 80% in some areas, Honey down by 75% and much of the Wheat grown especially for breadmaking being of very poor quality and unsuitable for purpose etc.etc.
I have noticed it myself with a huge drop in the amount of ripe wild fruit available for picking.
Just goes to show how important a reasonable amount of sunlight is not only to plants, but also to people.
Many up in the Arctic regions of Scandinavia suffer depression through lack of vitamin D which as I understand it can only be absorbed given a reasonable amount of sunlight.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

patontheback is an unknown quantity at this point

What should I expect from my 1st winter in Spain
In the Tarragona area will it be cold during the day
I am thinking its going to be quite cold at night will we need coats
During the day ?
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 8:15 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by patontheback View Post
During the day ?
It can be calm Sunny and very pleasant for many days with temps reaching the low 20s.
However when the weather changes combined with a little wind or sometimes a lot and comes off the much colder mountains to the North and West then you will likely need your coats.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Try here:
http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/SP/Reus
There is a history section where you can look at the weather conditions in the past years.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

During the day ?
It can be cold, wet, foggy, snowy ... or mild and sunny! Come prepared for all eventualities. This is from last winter in Tarragona ...

Old Nov 3rd 2012, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Unhappy Re: A Place in the sun

Wow I was not expecting that a white Xmas
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

mogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud of

I think from the research that i have done and what has happened the past few years globally with the weather..what we expect when moving to spain and what actually happens are 2 different things LOL.. We are going with the attitude whatever the weather their is very little we can do about it!
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 6:41 pm
On the road again.

It's quite a few years back now, but I recall driving South past the Barcelona area in January and seeing snow on the beach.

Even more surprising when I drove back North ten days later it appeared that the same snow was still lying on the beach.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

They didn't tell you about that on A Place in the Sun, then?

Don't despair though, the weather in Spain can be incredibly localised and somewhere only a few kilometres away could have snow whereas you wouldn't. One Xmas Eve a few years ago there was a sudden hailstorm on the coast near here and somebody told me the next day that the beach in Torre del Mar looked as if it was covered in snow, although it was actually hailstones. The main coast road was closed for a while because of them. I knew nothing about it because here, less than 5 km inland, we didn't get a single one.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

I did know it was going to be cold at night
But wonder about the day the place in the sun that I took part in was called summer sun. I'll get a load of logs in.
Looking forward to it
Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Just to give you an update all the legal paperwork is now in place
Ferry booked for the 25th November we sign on the 27th then we will be on our sun beds in the rain can't wait for our new adventure to start!!!!!!!
Old Nov 13th 2012, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck

Relax

Enjoy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.