Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A Place in the sun

A Place in the sun

Old Oct 19th 2012, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A Place in the sun

Originally Posted by jackytoo View Post
No expenses...tightfisted barstewards
Expenses? For what? Hotel & food provided, not much more to pay for surely?
And, money saved because food didn't need buying as would have been necessary at home.
Tightfisted?
Old Oct 19th 2012, 11:26 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

They are a commercial programme maker earning millions (probably) out of the series...why shouldn't they get appearance money.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo View Post
They are a commercial programme maker earning millions (probably) out of the series...why shouldn't they get appearance money.
I doubt it. Have you seen the state of the finances of the commercial television stations?

Not good

Even worse in Spain. They couldn't even afford 700k to show the Belarus Spain football game last week. They cant raise that much money from sponsors any more
Old Oct 19th 2012, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman View Post
I doubt it. Have you seen the state of the finances of the commercial television stations?

Not good

Even worse in Spain. They couldn't even afford 700k to show the Belarus Spain football game last week. They cant raise that much money from sponsors any more
But you can watch Pedrito's lovely hat-trick here!
Old Oct 20th 2012, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

We have just watched the Tarragona program on 4seven; the first property was by far the best. we liked the last one too but it was much too small. I hope you will be very happy there and good luck with everything.
Kath
Old Oct 21st 2012, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

patontheback is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for the good wishes
Old Oct 21st 2012, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoyed the programme and wish all the best to the new owners of the 'upside down house' which looking at would make for an easy conversion of the ground flour adding even more room if needed.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bob_bob View Post
I enjoyed the programme and wish all the best to the new owners of the 'upside down house' which looking at would make for an easy conversion of the ground flour adding even more room if needed.
I would leave as is, after all it is cooler downstairs, therefore the bedrooms are already there. Plus, you would lose all the views from the living / kitchen area.

I was constantly draw to this statement 'upside down house' on the show and found it a negative statement, say it once; but all the time? I personally felt that the arrangement worked well in the house, more than most I've seen over the years.

It's not upside down in that climate, it is actually correct.
DSB.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

patontheback is an unknown quantity at this point

I should find out today the date we get the house, all very exciting i have been told there are 2 types of bottled gas, what one should i use ?

thanks
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 7:55 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by patontheback View Post
I should find out today the date we get the house, all very exciting i have been told there are 2 types of bottled gas, what one should i use ?

thanks
If I were you I would have a look around when you come over and see which gas is more readily available because we might advise you to buy one and the other be far more available in your area. I know that the gas I buy is easy to buy in lots of places near to me but my neighbour has to rely on the delivery lorry or go slightly further afield when she runs out.

Also there may already be gas bottles in the house and it is cheaper to use them rather than to start buying a different one because in order to buy your first gas bottles you sign a contract for the number required and pay for the bottles complete with gas and after that it is cheaper because you are only paying for the refill.

Rosemary
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by patontheback View Post

thanks
There are two types of gas, propane and butane. Butane is a bit more expensive but burns hotter.

Both of them come in containers called "bombonas". There are two types, one silver and one orange, but they are interchangeable. The silver ones are lighter and easier to lug around.

The two main distributors are Repsol and Cepsa. If you are lucky you will be in an area where they are delivered to your door.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:18 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca View Post
There are two types of gas, propane and butane. Butane is a bit more expensive but burns hotter.
I always thought propane burned hotter,so I googled it.
The truth is it varies between the two depending on conditions and set up.

http://www.infomania.co.uk/archives/234
Old Oct 24th 2012, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly View Post
I always thought propane burned hotter,so I googled it.
The truth is it varies between the two depending on conditions and set up.

http://www.infomania.co.uk/archives/234
Interesting! We always use propane so I wouldn't know, just what I heard! Also heard that butane gives off more condensation if you use it in a room heater.

Of course it's a bit different using it outside for a barbecue and using it indoors for your cooking, heating and hot water.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 11:28 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Both of them come in containers called "bombonas". There are two types, one silver and one orange, but they are interchangeable
I thought the silver was propane and orange butane?
Old Oct 29th 2012, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Jaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really nice

On these new place in the sun progs. they are saying how much cheaper than Britain the cost of living is in spain, i know the council tax is, mine is £145 a monthin Hastings, but the last time we came to look at property with the intention of buying, we stayed for a month in Pego, we love the area around oliva and the beaches there, we found that food/toiletries were much more expensive generally than in Britain. Simple things like a bar of soap, we use pure vegetable soap, around 90p for 4 bars, its hard to even buy a bar of soap in that area, they seem to have just liquid soap. Also we can only eat wholemeal bread and in spain its expensive, just 2 every day items - we went to several supermarkets so looked around. We also noticed baby products such as nappy cream, £8 a tube from chemist, and the day to things you need for a sprog plus childrens clothing cost at least twice as much unless they were from a market. I would think for families on a tight budget or pensioners, it would be a probem, but i would like to hear from others who live there full time.

Last edited by Jaques2go; Oct 29th 2012 at 9:47 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.