Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Photography aids

Photography aids

Old Oct 3rd 2012, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Photography aids

Originally Posted by megmet
I prefer to use Photoshop myself, if you invest time in learning how to use it correctly then you can do all of that but with a much more natural look.
Agree up to a point, Photoshop will pretty much do it all, I'm a big fan of it, hardly a day goes by when I don't use it, and certainly with layers, opacity, blending etc. anything is possible. However there is software out there that speeds up some of the processes, and IMHO used sparingly HDR has a place, but most people that use it don't use it sparingly(an example above!) and you're left with a totally unnatural, garish offering. Fine if that's what people want, each to their own, I just said most of HDR is not for me. I'm not against all software, I use Silver Efex, and again so long as you don't go over the top, it gets some good result far quicker than doing it in PS.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 9:02 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
I prefer to use Photoshop myself, if you invest time in learning how to use it correctly then you can do all of that but with a much more natural look.
Yes, but if you learn to use Photomatix you can get a natural look too . Either are good, each one to their own
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 10:39 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yes, but if you learn to use Photomatix you can get a natural look too . Either are good, each one to their own
Original photo:

Slightly enhanced using photomatix:

Over the top maybe?

You can do horrible things with it if you like but if you know when to stop...
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 11:00 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I dont particularly think the third is over the top. As you know, you can tone down the hardness and fiddle with the micro to change it, but it nicely contrasts the clouds
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 11:37 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

prefer the original photo, it is real, how the camera and the fotog saw the subject at the time
anything else is Frankenstein IMO

just remember that the original photo is a mark of the quality of the work of a professional or amateur practising his profession or hobby.

going back later isnt possible except physically returning, making alterations in the pc studio is just a game of Frankenstein

bring back 35mm, the expertise of choosing the settings and getting good photos that are true to life or an absolute disaster, just don't bring back Agfa who had the weirdest colouring.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
prefer the original photo, it is real, how the camera and the fotog saw the subject at the time
anything else is Frankenstein IMO

just remember that the original photo is a mark of the quality of the work of a professional or amateur practising his profession or hobby.

going back later isnt possible except physically returning, making alterations in the pc studio is just a game of Frankenstein

bring back 35mm, the expertise of choosing the settings and getting good photos that are true to life or an absolute disaster, just don't bring back Agfa who had the weirdest colouring.
So do you feel the same about music? Only acoustic instruments allowed, with no studio processing?
Old Oct 4th 2012, 2:16 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
So do you feel the same about music? Only acoustic instruments allowed, with no studio processing?

having worked in Sound & Communications all my life, in a word - YES

one of the worst examples of studio processing was the "fudge" Philips and Sony (?) made when implementing the CD as a product. To cram in an average track they had to limit the bandwidth to 20khz, and also restricting the number of tracks possible, leading to multi-cd sets normally covered by one LP.

even a deaf mute could tell you that the CD version is poorer quality than the record played with an old technology needle

and I will extend that to the "free" processing supplied by the Integrated Circuit in solid state amplifiers as opposed to valve amps.

look at the work pioneered by George Martin in multi-track recording
Old Oct 4th 2012, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

having worked in Sound & Communications all my life, in a word - YES

one of the worst examples of studio processing was the "fudge" Philips and Sony (?) made when implementing the CD as a product. To cram in an average track they had to limit the bandwidth to 20khz, and also restricting the number of tracks possible, leading to multi-cd sets normally covered by one LP.

even a deaf mute could tell you that the CD version is poorer quality than the record played with an old technology needle

and I will extend that to the "free" processing supplied by the Integrated Circuit in solid state amplifiers as opposed to valve amps.

look at the work pioneered by George Martin in multi-track recording
OK, so think of HDR as multi-track photography!
Old Oct 4th 2012, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

With both it's very often a case of less is more, everything in moderation. I'm no purist when it comes to photography, I believe in some adjustment, but for me most HDR is generally a step too far. As I've said, I've seen some good HDR, I've always said the best HDR are the shots you don't realise have been "HDR'd", subtle adjustments. For me the second two of the featured photos are both over the top, the second, in order to lighten up the castle it has completely blown the whites of the sky, it's lost all detail. The third is way over the top. When you see the clear halo surrounding the castle you know you have overcooked it. But as I said, each to their own, I'm sure some will love it.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by agoreira
With both it's very often a case of less is more, everything in moderation. I'm no purist when it comes to photography, I believe in some adjustment, but for me most HDR is generally a step too far. As I've said, I've seen some good HDR, I've always said the best HDR are the shots you don't realise have been "HDR'd", subtle adjustments. For me the second two of the featured photos are both over the top, the second, in order to lighten up the castle it has completely blown the whites of the sky, it's lost all detail. The third is way over the top. When you see the clear halo surrounding the castle you know you have overcooked it. But as I said, each to their own, I'm sure some will love it.
yes, and when they visit the castle and can't see it with the halo they will get upset

yes it was possible to "juggle" with the developer, timer etc to "improve" a picture but it was also possible to ruin it very quickly and easily.
I see photography as a skill, it enables an individual to show that skill, take the skill (and charm) David Bailey used to bring out the best in his female subjects. The same goes for Cecil Beaton.
Also the finding of the subject and the composition. That is a skill some of those with a €1000 happy snapper attitude will never attain.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW I like the third one. I know it's not natural looking but I like it anyway.

I'm not very good with these image processing things. I have irfan view to crop and level the horizon (I seem to have wonky vision) and sometimes to enhance contrast.

I also have GIMP but have little idea of what I can do with it. I managed to fiddle the colour on this picture (below) but wouldn't know how to do it again.

I would like to be able to do more, in particular to make a composite of a sequence of photos of a moon-rise or sunrise for example, it's a question of finding the time.

Old Oct 5th 2012, 6:13 am

probably not relevent but some "snaps" that show the art of photography being used to bring out the excellence of design that is possible when someone has the money

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-palaces.html
Old Oct 5th 2012, 8:20 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

probably not relevent but some "snaps" that show the art of photography being used to bring out the excellence of design that is possible when someone has the money

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-palaces.html
Very nice. And I would be amazed if they haven't been enhanced.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jimenato
Very nice. And I would be amazed if they haven't been enhanced.
Massimo Listri used film, not digital, so they would have been darkroom-enhanced. He himself said ''Intuition is something you cannot learn, it is your emotions, the way you look at your subject. Technique is just a tool which we all have to learn at the beginning of our career''.

If he were alive today he might well be using digital techniques instead of chemicals, who knows. They are simply a 21st century way of achieving the results you want.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 12:29 pm

Massimo Listri used film, not digital, so they would have been darkroom-enhanced. He himself said ''Intuition is something you cannot learn, it is your emotions, the way you look at your subject. Technique is just a tool which we all have to learn at the beginning of our career''.

If he were alive today he might well be using digital techniques instead of chemicals, who knows. They are simply a 21st century way of achieving the results you want.
When did he die ? can find no record.
also no record of the filmstock, settings
although his self portraits, of which there are a couple, definitely show a non digital camera perhaps he uses a digital to plan the setting of the room.

he appears to have a good sideline with some very expensive "coffee table" books, one I saw for $195.00. Perhaps short run limited edition.

looking back again and again he has quite obviously used additional lighting over the normal ambient, otherwise the rooms would be lopsidedly lit. However, he would appear to have not used any enhancement to hide that additional lighting as the blook from the lights is still visible.

whatever, if man does stop still I trust and hope these monuments to man's abilities will still be there when the little green men land and start looking at what we acheived and be impressed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.