Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Photography aids

Photography aids

Old Jul 10th 2012, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Photography aids

Originally Posted by jimenato
Incidentally, I am becoming interested in HDR photography for which I will need a camera capable of Auto Exposure Bracketing. Does anyone know of a camera which does this without breaking the bank? Or does anyone know how I can find out if a particular camera has this feature - sometimes specifications aren't very specific (if you see what I mean...)?
I would think most, if not all of the DSLR's will do that. I have the Canon 5D MK2, the newer version, the MK 3 has the facility to take HDR and process in camera, but it'll set you back over £2,500! I'm tempted, but I'm not a fan of HDR (well, very limited use) and there's not a lot of enhancements over the model I have. The guy in the shop offered me a grand for mine on trade in, but not convinced. What sort of money do you want to spend?
Old Jul 10th 2012, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'm Canon, so thats all I can suggest tbh. Depends what your budget is, but iirc the EOS 10D does the job and on ebay you can pick them up fairly cheap.
I have one sitting in the cupboard gathering dust, as you say, a nice little camera. 6.3 megapixels seemed huge then!
Old Jul 11th 2012, 8:36 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I'm Canon, so thats all I can suggest tbh. Depends what your budget is, but iirc the EOS 10D does the job and on ebay you can pick them up fairly cheap.

I have one that the wife uses now and I always found it to be an excellent camera

Heres a list http://www.hdr-photography.com/aeb.html
Yes I've seen that list and have sent them a suggestion that a guide price against each model would be useful so at least you could tell if it was £250 or £2500

I am led to believe that some compact/bridge cameras have the facility which would make them well less than £500. It's just finding out which ones which is the problem.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:03 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I've seen that list and have sent them a suggestion that a guide price against each model would be useful so at least you could tell if it was £250 or £2500

I am led to believe that some compact/bridge cameras have the facility which would make them well less than £500. It's just finding out which ones which is the problem.
Yes, it depends on what you want. A Canon 10D I've seen go for £50 - £125 with a standard lens. They are versatile cameras and one I used for three or four years prior to what I have now. If you want to buy new then a Canon 60D has good reviews and iirc has a flip up screen as well (for what its worth :-) ) They are just over £500
Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My niece asked me recently for some advice on cameras, and she wanted to spend about what I think you want to spend. ie less than £500? I suggested a bridge camera for her, for although you can get DSLR's starting from around that price, you get one lens which would restrict you a lot. Obviously you could buy more, but they ain't cheap. Some of the bridge cameras zoom up to the equivalent of 500-600mm, giving you a huge range. There's some great reviews here of bridge cameras.
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/to...-cameras-16928
Looking at the Canon Powershot, it comes in at under £300 and does auto bracketing. (haven't checked the others, job for you!) There's a video here showing it in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZpgi3EQ0cM
Obviously, if you haven't already got a decent tripod, you'll need one for HDR. It's possible to do it without, but a tripod makes for better results.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Incidentally, I am becoming interested in HDR photography for which I will need a camera capable of Auto Exposure Bracketing. Does anyone know of a camera which does this without breaking the bank? Or does anyone know how I can find out if a particular camera has this feature - sometimes specifications aren't very specific (if you see what I mean...)?
Google the make of your camera plus the words Auto Bracketing. It is usually in the Exposure menu.

My little Sony Cybershot does it. I didn't realise till I googled it!
Old Jul 11th 2012, 10:07 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks agro and poca - very useful info. What is the model number of the Sony poca?
Old Jul 11th 2012, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks agro and poca - very useful info. What is the model number of the Sony poca?
It is quite old, a DSC W210, but I wouldn't recommend it, it has terrible lens distortion. There are better ones available now.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 3:22 pm
FreeThinker

I've just got myself a Fuji S2980

With Photomatix software it can do this...

Old Oct 2nd 2012, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've just got myself a Fuji S2980

With Photomatix software it can do this...
As you say photomatix I take you mean HDR. I have to say, except in certain circumstances, I don't like HDR. I do use it occasionally for shadow recovery, but not a big fan at all. Just traded my camera in for a new one and it does HDR in camera.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_aEUTaDbpI
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 4:12 pm
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by agoreira
As you say photomatix I take you mean HDR. I have to say, except in certain circumstances, I don't like HDR. I do use it occasionally for shadow recovery, but not a big fan at all. Just traded my camera in for a new one and it does HDR in camera.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_aEUTaDbpI
Yes - people often say HDR (which is a perfectly valid method of exposure optimisation) when they really mean tone-mapping (which is a post-process some people would say is cheating). I don't mind cheating - whatever makes a nice picture.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

I agree with you Jimenato, if you are happy with the end result what does it matter how you got there?

HDR is good for lightening up dark corners - here's one I took last week in the old town of Cáceres.
Attached Thumbnails Photography aids-callejon-en-caceres.jpg  
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 8:02 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - people often say HDR (which is a perfectly valid method of exposure optimisation) when they really mean tone-mapping (which is a post-process some people would say is cheating). I don't mind cheating - whatever makes a nice picture.

It's not cheating. High Dynamic Range is just basically a way you can even out exposures where there is a large variance of lighting, such as shadows in streets etc. Yes you can go overboard if you feel the need to, and that makes for some surreal shots, but its not necessarily what Photomatix does.

Photo manipulation is just a way of developing your pictures, much in the same way you could in a dark room with film. The difference is that you do it electronically rather than chemically. Its an accepted part of digital photography these days and really shouldn't be considered as cheating, cos it aint.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 8:40 pm
FreeThinker

It's not cheating. High Dynamic Range is just basically a way you can even out exposures where there is a large variance of lighting, such as shadows in streets etc. Yes you can go overboard if you feel the need to, and that makes for some surreal shots, but its not necessarily what Photomatix does.

Photo manipulation is just a way of developing your pictures, much in the same way you could in a dark room with film. The difference is that you do it electronically rather than chemically. Its an accepted part of digital photography these days and really shouldn't be considered as cheating, cos it aint.
I agree.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer to use Photoshop myself, if you invest time in learning how to use it correctly then you can do all of that but with a much more natural look.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.