Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Phoning the Uk from a Spanish Landline.

Phoning the Uk from a Spanish Landline.

Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:28 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Phoning the Uk from a Spanish Landline.

We have finally got our landline connected and just wondered what the best deal was for phoning the Uk? I have looked at call 2 but it seems like a lot of messing about before we make the call. Does anybody know of any other good ways of phoning the Uk on the cheap from a Spanish landline?

Sam
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phoning the Uk from a Spanish Landline.

Originally Posted by sam parky
We have finally got our landline connected and just wondered what the best deal was for phoning the Uk? I have looked at call 2 but it seems like a lot of messing about before we make the call. Does anybody know of any other good ways of phoning the Uk on the cheap from a Spanish landline?

Sam
I have been using voipcheap for a week or so and Im pleased with the service and calls are free - you phone from your pc to landline in UK (or Spain for that matter) and its free

cheap text service too

Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Sam
We just buy the 6€ card and use that - gives (I think) 300 minutes.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

If you don't have an ADSL connection and don't want to set up an account with one of the alternative providers try dialling 902902952 before your UK number (landlines only) and pay the cost of a 902 call in Spain instead of the cost of an international call.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:30 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SueG
We just buy the 6€ card and use that - gives (I think) 300 minutes.
We also opt for the phone cards as they are so cheap. Tried using Skype for a while but gave up as the quality was okay, but not great. Got on my nerves after a while.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
If you don't have an ADSL connection and don't want to set up an account with one of the alternative providers try dialling 902902952 before your UK number (landlines only) and pay the cost of a 902 call in Spain instead of the cost of an international call.
With only just getting a landline I dont know the cost of 902 numbers. Can you let me know?

Thanks Sam
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

With only just getting a landline I dont know the cost of 902 numbers. Can you let me know?

Thanks Sam
Have a look in the free beer thread. ;-)
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:37 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

If you pay telefonica 3 € a month for "Tarifa mini Europa" you will get UK landline calls for 6 cents a min, and mobiles aprox 20 cents a min.
Sort of depends on how many calls you make to cover the extra 3 €`s
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:39 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

You can get several packages from Spantel, starting from around 5 euros and they speak English.

902 020202
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:42 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
So if you have the ADSL and national calls free pack, then you can call that number and get free calls to the UK ?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

No, the free calls that come with the ADSL package only cover geographical landlines not 9** numbers.

For example, if you call Sevillana/Endesa to report a power cut you get charged.

The cost of calls to 902 numbers is 4.03c/min off-peak and 6.73c/min on-peak.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Sam,
I would definitely recommend voipcheap.com

I've made 2 one hour long phone calls to the UK tonight, and they cost me a grand total of 10 cents!! (5 cent connection fee for each of them)

Voipcheap has two main advantages over Skype, in my opinion:

The call quality is MUCH better, and
You don't have to be sitting at your PC in order to use the phone. You just connect via the PC and then wander round the house (or find the warmest spot!) while you're gassing away on your home phone!

You do get disconnected after an hour, but for me that's probably not a bad thing!

There was a thread on here recently about Skype and Voipcheap, so that might be worth a read??

Happy talking!

Sam.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 6:27 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Sam
we use Eurodirect card, cost 6 euro and can be used from ANY landline and gives around 240 mins.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by brisca
Sam,
I would definitely recommend voipcheap.com

I've made 2 one hour long phone calls to the UK tonight, and they cost me a grand total of 10 cents!! (5 cent connection fee for each of them)

Voipcheap has two main advantages over Skype, in my opinion:

The call quality is MUCH better, and
You don't have to be sitting at your PC in order to use the phone. You just connect via the PC and then wander round the house (or find the warmest spot!) while you're gassing away on your home phone!

You do get disconnected after an hour, but for me that's probably not a bad thing!

There was a thread on here recently about Skype and Voipcheap, so that might be worth a read??

Happy talking!

Sam.
Hi Sam,

I have Skype and the Skype hands free phone. The reception is really dodgy though. You get good days and bad days but it drives my family mad as they say we break up all the time although I can hear them perfectly??

The reason I did this thread was because I would like a way of phoning the Uk without having to go to my computer to make the call. My computer is upstairs and I can just see it now, I will be sat watching tv all cosy and hubby will want to make a call. The thing is he doesnt know the first thing about computers so it will be me that gets disturbed to come upstairs and connect his call!! Looks like I may be getting on of the phone cards, but then hubby wont be able to find his glasses and I will have to put the phone card number in etc lol !!

Sam