Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

all my programes breaking up aaargh

all my programes breaking up aaargh

Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:53 am
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of
Default all my programes breaking up aaargh

I have a large dish and for the last 3 weeks I keep losing different channels on sky. Do you think I need tweaking , is it the weather, does everybodys do this, should I get somebdoy in to adjust the dish??????
I bought one of those sky thingmejigs fm ebay that is supposed to re-align your dish but my friend said it didnt work.any advice, dont really want to move or adjust the dish myself, its sooo big
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: all my programes breaking up aaargh

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
I have a large dish and for the last 3 weeks I keep losing different channels on sky. Do you think I need tweaking , is it the weather, does everybodys do this, should I get somebdoy in to adjust the dish??????
I bought one of those sky thingmejigs fm ebay that is supposed to re-align your dish but my friend said it didnt work.any advice, dont really want to move or adjust the dish myself, its sooo big
ours goes if there is heavy rain or wind - but apart from that its ok

Ive got a number for the company that installed ours if you want it PM me
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Those thingmejigs are pretty useless. You would be better off using the signal quality bar (not the signal strength bar) on the receiver.

It could be several things. The dish may have been blown out of alignment in the wind, water may have got into the connection where the cable enters the LNB (it should be sealed with self-amalgamating tape), or if your dish is mounted on a concrete platform it may have move slightly as the ground expands when it is wet and contracts when it dries out putting the dish out of alignment.

Another cause could be vegetation growing in front of the dish blocking the signal.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
Another cause could be vegetation growing in front of the dish blocking the signal.
friends of ours had a problem with their dish - somehow a wasp had got into the LNB (I think) and built a nest
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:14 am
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

This reminds me of the day i felt a right plonker

I did a major redecoration in the living room a few years back, and knocked out the old fireplace , changed all the plugs and sockets and thought i will put a new matching sattelite plug in the wall ..
The sattelite was working fine when i removed it so as to keep it clean ..

Didnt use sattelite for about 2 weeks while i did the room as it was the main inward lead in for the system.. Completed the painting and stuff new carpets were laid and i then moved furniture back in, plugged sattelite in and got NO signal !! I assumed as you would that my new socket i fitted on the wall i hadnt wired right, so checked it ,all ok ? weird i thought !! maybe i stretched the cable fitting it so changed the cable !! Still Not working , spent ages messing around with the socket , even going to the extremes of taking it out the line and going direct to sattelite receiver !! Still not working ..

After 2 days messing and spoiling the new painted wall ! from all the socket on ,socket off , and stuff I eventually gave up and rang a sattelite repair guy ,, he came round next day ,checked my plug thats all ok he said !! Wheres the dish he says , i said on the chimney so out we go and he looks up and does some hmmmmm and more hmmmmming , then he says .
Have a look at that conifer ! Thats your problem And sure enough in the 2 weeks i had been doing the room up the thing had grown just that little extra and was blocking the Signal .. Didnt give that a single thought , Now whats the chances of that ?? amazing i know ..

So pop out and check the trees ,is my advice..

Last edited by Big Pete; Apr 4th 2007 at 8:16 am. Reason: moral added
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:00 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I had our sat guy around today as we have been losing programmes, especially the films. Apparantly SKY have just changed things around, renaming film channels etc. He says that this has had an effect in the past and he upgraded the software on my box which seems to have had an effect, but now some of the channels have technical faults
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

We were losing BBC1/2/3/4 and ITV1/2/3/4 from about 8-11pm our time.

A couple of weeks ago, based on advice from another forum, I bought a new LNB and now we're back 24/7.

However, we still lose C4 for a couple of hours in the late afternoon.

I use a 5.99 euro Lidl sat meter for alignment. Much better than using the signal quality bar on the Sky box as the tone/lights are instant without a time delay.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

What you really need is one of these:

http://www.promax.es/images/news_jpg...rer-bigger.jpg
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:50 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

thanks for all your replies, where on eath do you get one of THOSE thingymajigs????
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:44 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

no worries, just did a search for that thingy and blimey its soooo expensive.