Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Phone hacking hypocrisy

Phone hacking hypocrisy

Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:08 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phone hacking hypocrisy

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
It can't get any worse surely ?

It's obviously been one giant love-in with MPs of all parties, police, news staff and hired snoopers all in bed together.

Now the cats out the bag its tears and recriminations all round.
A perfect summary. I've got one reservation about all of it, which I regard as a malaise in our British society.

The British stiff upper lip has gone, to be replaced by blubbering whistle blowers and dirty grasses. This is all about 'royal' bungs, never mind some daft copper copping a few quid from the Press.

Of course it's wrong, but you can take the transparency aspect too far. I hate grasses and always will. They do far more damage to our society than some Royal copping a few quid from the Saudis.

(Two ginger haired ladies could blow the lid on all of this. I don't think the Royal one will, but the other one appears a bit flaky).
Old Jul 8th 2011, 9:40 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
The whole group all the print productions are tied in this little fiasco. Shutting down the N.o.w is acceptable collateral damage at this stage "This is a planned event", As if everyone that was hacked decides to take legal action at potentially 400k a pop "as has been paid to Gordon Taylor" News Internationals wallet could start hurting. A judge would probably award lighter damages due to the wind down of N.o.w well thats what they are hoping. Personally I think they "N.I" should be barred from starting a new publication especially whilst under investigation in criminal proceedings.
According to regulations a company and its owners should be considered fit and proper ppl. to control a major media organisation.
Anyone less fit and proper than the Murdochs is difficult to imagine, yet despite all the recriminations I'd bet my last euro that not only will they go ahead with a new publication but also get the nod on their BskyB takeover.
Supposedly the whole deal is to be checked out by Offcom to ensure there is no further monopoly situation created, yet I wonder why I get this strange feeling that it's already a done deal, with more wheels within wheels working overtime to ensure it only goes one way.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:55 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
According to regulations a company and its owners should be considered fit and proper ppl. to control a major media organisation.
Anyone less fit and proper than the Murdochs is difficult to imagine, yet despite all the recriminations I'd bet my last euro that not only will they go ahead with a new publication but also get the nod on their BskyB takeover.
Supposedly the whole deal is to be checked out by Offcom to ensure there is no further monopoly situation created, yet I wonder why I get this strange feeling that it's already a done deal, with more wheels within wheels working overtime to ensure it only goes one way.
whilst a company is deemed to be a living and breathing entity in its own right it can only move in the direction(s) dictated by its directors. Its the directors and their quality which makes for a good company.

Murdoch has been allowed to have too much power across the world. Perhaps he may have been responsible for Maxwell's death as the only person who may have been able to stop his rise.

now "people power" has shown up all the cracks in the walls of power we are finding out that
...Wade must have known what was happening on her watch - she will have overseen the printing of the stories and approved payments
...Wade has admitted to a parliamentary committee the paper made payments to the police, although forced by counsel to say it was all legal and above board
...the last enquiry of the police was a whitewash and appears to have been carried out by someone who may have been in receipt of payments himself
...there has been a cosy relationship between the police and certain elements of the media over a number of years, based on the cheque book
...Jame Murdoch has said he made dodgy payments due to lack of information
...A NoW exec has deleted swathes of files prior to investigation by police

The Yanks are starting to look at goings-on on their patch which is going to make the Conrad Black affair look like a teddy bears picnic

Now the run has started in the open it is unlikely that this will stop rumbling inside 2 years let alone september when the BSkyB matter is resolved.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 2:53 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
A perfect summary. I've got one reservation about all of it, which I regard as a malaise in our British society.

The British stiff upper lip has gone, to be replaced by blubbering whistle blowers and dirty grasses. .
No-one likes a grass, but whistle blowing is a different kettle of fish.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 4:58 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
No-one likes a grass, but whistle blowing is a different kettle of fish.
Isn't it the same thing, like terrorist-freedom fighter?

criminals hate a grass, and victims love whistle blowers
Old Jul 9th 2011, 5:15 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Isn't it the same thing, like terrorist-freedom fighter?

criminals hate a grass, and victims love whistle blowers

Class divide, Chavs hate a Grass, But the Nouveau Middle Class like a Whistle blower. Doesn't matter who is doing the shouting it's all down to the twat that is listening. Which is the same rule when classifying Terrorist vs Freedom Fighter it's a matter of perspective.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jul 9th 2011 at 5:18 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 5:54 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Class divide, Chavs hate a Grass, But the Nouveau Middle Class like a Whistle blower. Doesn't matter who is doing the shouting it's all down to the twat that is listening. Which is the same rule when classifying Terrorist vs Freedom Fighter it's a matter of perspective.
Are you calling HBG and bil chavs?
Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:24 pm
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice

If you concerned about big brother they can track your phone, they can watch what you pay for and where you are with credit cards , if you are on facebook you are asking for it, plus everything wants to link up now, skype belongs to Microsoft and now links to facebook, and of course they can listen to your calls, they can profile you in seconds, I think facebook is worse than a virus it stores stuff on your PC only a reformat cures but then google knows all your business anyhow and knows your facebook ID , I am glad there is no phone signal where I live sometimes
Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:26 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bricwood
I think facebook is worse than a virus it stores stuff on your PC only a reformat cures
Please expand on this.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:30 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bricwood
If you concerned about big brother they can track your phone, they can watch what you pay for and where you are with credit cards , if you are on facebook you are asking for it, plus everything wants to link up now, skype belongs to Microsoft and now links to facebook, and of course they can listen to your calls, they can profile you in seconds, I think facebook is worse than a virus it stores stuff on your PC only a reformat cures but then google knows all your business anyhow and knows your facebook ID , I am glad there is no phone signal where I live sometimes
They do them in such funky styles now don't they?
Attached Thumbnails Phone hacking hypocrisy-silver-foil-20-s-gangster-hat-fancy-dress-dancewear-8611-p.jpg  
Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:36 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know who to blame for it, or who to thank for it, but somehow I emerged with principles of loyalty and a hatred for grasses and whistle blowers. Maybe it goes back all the way to the playground and the little bastard who grassed me up for something quite innocent.

Later on in life I joined at least one organisation which reinforced my beliefs in loyalty to a common cause. That belief is now embedded in my bones, and I'm happy with it.

If that makes me a Chav, then so be it, but from what little I know of them I doubt if they would want me as a member. I did have some of that Burberry stuff years ago, and so did my wife.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:43 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

What I find funny is that I have yet to meet someone who hasn't jumped for joy that its closing yet it managed to sell over 8 million copies a week...
Old Jul 9th 2011, 8:02 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
What I find funny is that I have yet to meet someone who hasn't jumped for joy that its closing yet it managed to sell over 8 million copies a week...
part social milieu; part gulty pleasure.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 8:48 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

another part of British culture gone
Old Jul 9th 2011, 8:58 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

They're expecting a lot of sales tomorrow. Doubling the print run:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14081705

The News of the World is doubling its print run to five million on Sunday as the 168-year-old newspaper publishes its historic final edition.

Newsagents expect the edition to sell "extremely well" after the paper was shut amid the phone-hacking scandal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.