British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Phone hacking hypocrisy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/phone-hacking-hypocrisy-723875/)

HBG Jul 6th 2011 6:56 pm

Phone hacking hypocrisy

I spent this hot afternoon watching the debate in the House of Commons on the phone hacking scandal. The baying mob of self-righteous politicians were going to get their own back over the expenses scandal which sent a few of their colleagues to jail; and the latest exposures handed them the press and police on a plate.

There they were, baying for blood – how dare they hack Millie Dowlers phone? They are right, of course, what a diabolical thing to do.

So they debated why the original police enquiry into the royal phone hacking had been stopped, after the two fall guys, the private detective and New of the World royal correspondent went to jail for a few months. Why had Yates, the top Yard officer stopped the enquiry and lied to the House of Commons? He said that the then attorney general had stopped further investigation, supported by PM Blair.

They’re baying for transparency, including that diabolical Hazel Blears, the cheque waving hypocrite who narrowly escaped going to jail herself.

The News of the World, and all the others, are now being forced to reveal their darkest secrets. They paid the police for information, as well as some dubious private detectives who hacked phones. (As well as Max Clifford and all the others who haunt our society).

Rebecca Brooks, Andy Coulson and the many others won’t go quietly, they’ve been at it for too long. They’ve got the smoking gun and it leads right back to the original royal hacking in 2005.

Lord Taylor and Lord Hanningfield got a few months for daft claims for overnight expenses while living within walking distance of the House of Lords, some daft MPs got bird for claiming for mortgage payments they didn’t make, but what if the smoking gun reveals that bribes worth billions were paid right under our noses?

To people we have to bow to?

Dick Dasterdly Jul 6th 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Phone hacking hypocrisy

Without doubt a dirty,disgusting business and the perpetrators deserve all thats coming to them, including large portions of porridge I would hope.

The disclosures and loss of major advertising revenue are also a long overdue kick in the goolies for Murdoch and co, but whats the betting that when all the dust has died down he'll still be allowed to get his grubby hands on BskyB and extend his greedy monopoly even further. ?

jojojojojo Jul 6th 2011 8:55 pm

I dont believe that they are/were the only guilty corporation in all of this. The other media companies including the "oh so self righteous" BBC and the politicians are indeed baying for blood and milking this for all its worth, but without a doubt they were all a party to it and how much was it that News International paid the police for information ????

Jo xxx

rugbymatt Jul 6th 2011 9:02 pm

Rupert Murdoch... what more do I honestly have to say? The guy is scum and a filthy flesh eating disease would be too good for him, I at least would want to watch the wanker die.

bil Jul 6th 2011 9:18 pm

Let me see. Politicians? Scum. Police? Corrupt scum. Newspapers? Run by self serving scum who would, if they had one, sell their soul for a story.

and who pays for all this? That'll be us again.

rugbymatt Jul 6th 2011 9:20 pm

Now they are saying that families of Tsunami and Soldiers killed in action have had their phones hacked.... God I hope the stress kills Murdoch!

kimilseung Jul 6th 2011 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 9479701)
Now they are saying that families of Tsunami and Soldiers killed in action have had their phones hacked.... God I hope the stress kills Murdoch!

Its getting ridiculous, during the cold war there was fear of totalitarian governments having access to all our communications, but all along its been Murdoch. It sounds like he had more info gathering than GCHQ

rugbymatt Jul 6th 2011 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 9479735)
Its getting ridiculous, during the cold war there was fear of totalitarian governments having access to all our communications, but all along its been Murdoch. It sounds like he had more info gathering than GCHQ

I KNOW!

Dick Dasterdly Jul 6th 2011 10:14 pm

Wonder if it would be too much to hope that the rest of his UK advertisers would pull the plug on him, as well as the notorious Sun-NoW readers and leave his UK paper round high and dry.

The saddest thing is his virtual monopoly of UK Sat TV services.
Hopefully the number of viewers alternative options will soon increase.

bil Jul 6th 2011 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9479808)
Wonder if it would be too much to hope that the rest of his UK advertisers would pull the plug on him, as well as the notorious Sun-NoW readers and leave his UK paper round high and dry.

The saddest thing is his virtual monopoly of UK Sat TV services.
Hopefully the number of viewers alternative options will soon increase.

Bloody shame they couldn't freeze his stuff here until after the investigation..... Nice to see that ***** blair stood in the way of the last investigation.

Dick Dasterdly Jul 6th 2011 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9479836)
Bloody shame they couldn't freeze his stuff here until after the investigation..... Nice to see that ***** blair stood in the way of the last investigation.

Yeh, must admit when it first came to light and it was mainly dodgy MPs complaining they'd been tapped, especially that obnoxious turd prescott, I like many others, was far more inclined to turn a blind eye.

HBG Jul 7th 2011 7:58 am

I have one major problem with all of this – so we know or should have known that a great number of our politicians are corrupt; so we know or should have known that a great number of our police officers are corrupt; so we know that our media is corrupt; and we know that the corruption reaches right to the top of our monarchy.

What the f*** is there left to believe in?

Dick Dasterdly Jul 7th 2011 9:08 am

My son has just been explaining to me that the type of phone hacking thought to be used in these cases is not exactly rocket technology and could be achieved by almost anyone on anyone else with just a little basic knowledge.
Yet another demonstration that although rapid progress is being made in the world of modern technology, the security issues always seem to lag a long way behind and are more and more open to abuse and criminality as time goes on.
I doubt anyone can have any secrets anymore, unless carefully confined to the space between their ears.

bil Jul 7th 2011 9:36 am

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 9480514)
I have one major problem with all of this – so we know or should have known that a great number of our politicians are corrupt; so we know or should have known that a great number of our police officers are corrupt; so we know that our media is corrupt; and we know that the corruption reaches right to the top of our monarchy.

What the f*** is there left to believe in?

As Polonius said. "To thine own self be true."

We, as the general public are screwed over and exploited by State, church and all their minions.

It's a good job that the British people are so servile and accepting, else the streets would run with the blood of our exploiters.

bil Jul 7th 2011 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9480593)
My son has just been explaining to me that the type of phone hacking thought to be used in these cases is not exactly rocket technology and could be achieved by almost anyone on anyone else with just a little basic knowledge.
Yet another demonstration that although rapid progress is being made in the world of modern technology, the security issues always seem to lag a long way behind and are more and more open to abuse and criminality as time goes on.
I doubt anyone can have any secrets anymore, unless carefully confined to the space between their ears.

Two good points here. Firstly that so many people are so stupid as not to realise that if you want to keep it a secret, don't write it down, don't type it into a computer or speak it into any device capable of recording it.

Secondly, as the Russians say, "Three people can keep a secret, providing two of them are dead."