Pension??

Old Dec 14th 2010, 8:07 am
Just Joined

jonny5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pension??

Hi

I've been working in Spain for about a year now and I love the lifestyle and the job and definitely want to stay for many more years. It has come to my attention though that because i'm paying taxes to Spain and not to my home country (England) that i'm not going to get my full pension if I don't work enough years in England, and as I said I would love to stay for many years yet.
So i was wondering if I get a Spanish pension and if i could combine what i've already built up in England with what I get in Spain? If there is nothing I can do about it does anybody have any advise on setting any pension plans up? because i want to keep working abroad but i also want to be able to retire and not have to worry about money.

Any advice would be much appreciated thank you.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 8:52 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pension??

You can continue to pay Voluntary National Insurance Contributions to the UK if you wish. I think they are about £12 a week.

Bear in mind that you only need 30 years' worth now for a full UK Pension.

AFAIK you can combine the Spanish and UK Pensions.

You could apply by post to the British Pensions Service requesting a Pension Forecast which will tell you how many years you have accrued so far, here's the link:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...st/DG_10014008

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 11:12 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-.../state-pension

The British Consulate in Spain's website has mountains of information - I think the above address is the page you need

Davexf
Old Dec 14th 2010, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

you may also buy back the last 6 years UK pension at the 600 gbp pa sort of rate.

Get the statement from the Govt to confirm what gaps you have & at what rate you can buy them back.

I thought the min pension entitlement was 20 years.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 12:12 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poolboy
you may also buy back the last 6 years UK pension at the 600 gbp pa sort of rate.

Get the statement from the Govt to confirm what gaps you have & at what rate you can buy them back.

I thought the min pension entitlement was 20 years.
AFAIK there is no minimum now. For example if you have paid in for six years, you will get 6/30 Pension.

The thirty years I mentioned is for the FULL Basic State Pension i.e 30/30.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 12:44 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
AFAIK there is no minimum now.
Correct - it all changed in April this year.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

sorry, you are right at 30 years min.

I thought when they put the price up of vol class 2 NICS last year they reduced the years to 20, clearly not that generous!

If you get a statement from Govt it confirms how many years you have & how many you need, plus how many you can buy back.