PDT v TIO

Old Jun 7th 2014, 3:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PDT v TIO

@LIW

I think the real problem is that when you, Sally et al, visit PDT it's only to partake in contentious threads wrt either UKIP or Muslims, perhaps if you took part in threads that were less confrontational then you and Domino could end up sitting round the campfire getting to know each better and singing Kumbaya
Old Jun 7th 2014, 3:55 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one who sees Bipat and LIW as welcome bringers of relative sanity to a mostly festering pit of badmouthing and bigotry?
Old Jun 7th 2014, 4:13 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfh
@LIW

I think the real problem is that when you, Sally et al, visit PDT it's only to partake in contentious threads wrt either UKIP or Muslims, perhaps if you took part in threads that were less confrontational then you and Domino could end up sitting round the campfire getting to know each better and singing Kumbaya
I don't completely disagree with you. I care deeply about some of tbe things that come up on those threads and I'm unlikely to be unchallenging on those. But then that is the same for everyone - the visitors have been no more contentious than the locals. Trouble is I can't really participate on tbe other Spain threads because they tend to be about day to day Spanish life and I live in the middle of the US. This I why I suggested that some of you might visit The Lounge which Iis full of general topics and people from all over the forum. Some of us might find some common ground that way. I'm not singing tbough, and frankly no one would want me to.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 4:16 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Am I the only one who sees Bipat and LIW as welcome bringers of relative sanity to a mostly festering pit of badmouthing and bigotry?
I do really, really hate that stuff and have way too much experience of what that does in real life to real people..

I also know that sometimes people get into corners they don't really want to be in and if we could get past the sectarianism in PDT we might make progress together.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Bipat has real information to bring about India, always in a polite way. I find it just astonishing how she is demonised by some.

LIW has enormous patience to try to discuss issues rationally.

I tend towards silliness because on occasion I just can't believe what I'm reading, but I am also sad about the hatred which is sometimes displayed on this part of the forum.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

I agree for LIW whenever I've engaged with her I found her POV's interesting but Bipat I'm afraid I see her as an apologist for India's serious issues I engaged with her once on some articles that the BBC were doing about female problems in India and her only response was well it's not widespread (which is frankly untrue) and then of course came 'but what about etc.' In her defence I will say she was at that moment engaged in a long standing argument with some others here so maybe I've misjudged her, time will tell.

Funnily enough, as I am more of a lurker than poster I often read her posts in the Goa forum

As for the badmouthing and bigotry, I do agree with you, there is far too much of that here.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat095; Jun 7th 2014 at 4:36 pm. Reason: for once it was punctation and not a typo ;-)
Old Jun 7th 2014, 4:35 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

And blatant misogyny.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Leslie
And blatant misogyny.
Yes indeed, there are quite a few here who fit that description.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 4:45 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

<< sigh >>

it has started again

Old Jun 7th 2014, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfh
I agree for LIW whenever I've engaged with her I found her POV's interesting but Bipat I'm afraid I see her as an apologist for India's serious issues I engaged with her once on some articles that the BBC were doing about female problems in India and her only response was well it's not widespread (which is frankly untrue) and then of course came 'but what about etc.' In her defence I will say she was at that moment engaged in a long standing argument with some others here so maybe I've misjudged her, time will tell.

Funnily enough, as I am more of a lurker than poster I often read her posts in the Goa forum

As for the badmouthing and bigotry, I do agree with you, there is far too much of that here.

Discovered I am being discussed, thank you to those above for their kind words.

I hope I have not apologised for India's serious issues, there are certainly plenty of them, far more so than discussed on here.
I have only tried to make the point, that although, for instance, atrocities against women are widespread the majority of Indian people are not involved. It is a 'big place' and a billion people.
Anyway the new Government is installed and hopefully change will come as quickly as possible. (Although, I am personally not sure if I agree with the choice of Maneka Gandhi as Cabinet Minister for women and children; hope I am wrong).

If you lurk in the Goa Forum you will see that finally British Expats there are being allowed to register their deeds of houses purchased before foreigner buying became illegal. So change already.

Our place is in N. karnataka and Bl***** hot at this time of year.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Domino
<< sigh >>

it has started again

No. It hasn't. It's just normal expression of different points of view.And you could be part of changing things too.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Online discussion forums are a bit like real life discussions in any bar or cafe or other public place. Sometimes it gets a bit heated, sometimes it drifts off track. I realise the moderators have a difficult job and they have to know where the line is between necessary moderation and heavy-handedness. They're a bit like the barman who sometimes has to tell a group of customers to cool it or to go home and sleep it off before it gets messy or before they scare away other customers. But if a barmen were to say to his customers 'Oi, you can't talk about that at this table, it you want to talk about that you have to go over there with them. If you want to sit here you have to talk about x y or z.' he'd probably end up losing his customers.

I didn't mind at all when we were told to keep certain discussions to the pdt. So why do I feel so irked at seeing threads moved elsewhere? What was the point of pdt?
Old Jun 7th 2014, 6:57 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I do really, really hate that stuff and have way too much experience of what that does in real life to real people..

I also know that sometimes people get into corners they don't really want to be in and if we could get past the sectarianism in PDT we might make progress together.
Respect!
Old Jun 7th 2014, 7:44 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
I would disagree with you on the first point - we know it isn't moderated and is full of simple half sentences, TLA's and numerous things like <<sigh>> or pictures to say a thousand words - that really say zilch. Oh and thread spoilers that run for pages about inconsequential personal comments that should be on another communication media.
The place is a nightmare and they have run out of fresh blood so like all good vampires they are looking for places to roost.

however, you know you are always welcome in the BES forum anytime.
Couldn't have put it better. There also needs to be some clarification of what is acceptable. I see Bevs has said

If a thread in TIO descends into no more than a tedious litany of personal jibes and name calling as has happened in PdT ,which in itself derails from a topic, it will be moderated I am sure. Either by the moderators or by the other posters themselves who tend to be able to self moderate.
"
Have I been reading the same TIO!
Now just this week I have seen a lot of personal jibes. Some people have been banned for less...How about

I honestly think you have a learning difficulty

You're a loon. posted by LIW

Are you mentally ill, or are you unable to read? Sultan

I was merely making an observation, your head was up your arse Sultan

All of these are in TIO and there are many more, not to mention the bullying and crucifying of our Andy who hasn't a nasty bone in his body

Last edited by jackytoo; Jun 7th 2014 at 7:46 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, we were doing quite well there for a minute.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.