Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Payment for big ticket items

Payment for big ticket items

Old Jul 27th 2013, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Peter Squires is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Payment for big ticket items

Charging for money coming into a bank account is something I have trouble understanding! My bank (CaixaCatalunia) charges me nothing for the monthly euros I transfer from the UK. As I am in the process of buying a motorhome over here, I suggested to the dealer that I transfer the money (in euros) direct from the UK to their account.

Their bank has charged them 80 euros for accepting the money, now the dealer wants me to pay an extra 80 euros to cover the cost of paying for the motorhome!

Double Dutch or what?

How do others pay for big ticket items to avoid this - cash?
Old Jul 27th 2013, 2:06 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Payment for big ticket items

Originally Posted by Peter Squires
Charging for money coming into a bank account is something I have trouble understanding! My bank (CaixaCatalunia) charges me nothing for the monthly euros I transfer from the UK. As I am in the process of buying a motorhome over here, I suggested to the dealer that I transfer the money (in euros) direct from the UK to their account.

Their bank has charged them 80 euros for accepting the money, now the dealer wants me to pay an extra 80 euros to cover the cost of paying for the motorhome!

Double Dutch or what?

How do others pay for big ticket items to avoid this - cash?
I had my pensions paid direct into my Spanish account, and then paid for everything that way, never a problem.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 2:35 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I had my pensions paid direct into my Spanish account, and then paid for everything that way, never a problem.
You'd need a pretty good pension to have enough left over to buy a Motorhome

UK banks often charge for bank transfers to Spain but I seem to remember that there is an option to add the charges to the requested withdrawal so that the recipient gets it in full.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the bank, some banks will charge at there end too, when we send money from out NATWEST Bank, it states that the recipent bank may charge fees too.

£80 seems a lot, Its his bank not yours so you should not have to pay, but you could have just paid it to your Spanish account then transferred to his, or you can get a Spanish Sterling account and then pay from that to your Euro account and then transfer it, or as you say Cash
Old Jul 27th 2013, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Nationwide charge a flat £25 for a BACS transfer to Spain and neither of my spanish banks have charged to receive the transfer. Given that if you'd paid for the motorhome with a credit card, the CC company would have taken 2% I think the seller is being very mean asking you to cough for the fees they incurred. Any other transfer method would have cost them more.
Unless he'd stipulated up front, I think it's up to the seller to swallow the cost, and be very grateful for making a sale in these straightened times.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 3:11 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You'd need a pretty good pension to have enough left over to buy a Motorhome

UK banks often charge for bank transfers to Spain but I seem to remember that there is an option to add the charges to the requested withdrawal so that the recipient gets it in full.
I bought a car, but that was paid for by selling my house
Old Jul 27th 2013, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Was it over €12.5k, as I just googled a limit on receiving and charging and if it was what a tight wad.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Yes it was 40k euros so I didnt want to take cash!

My Spanish bank would have issued a bankers cheque but that costs a lot as well.

If I had transferred it from my Spanish bank account, that would have cost as well.

And I thought UK banks were greedy :-)
Old Jul 27th 2013, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

€80 for 40k well im sure he should swallow that, man I would take you and your family out for a meal if you got me business like that. Im sure he does not sell them daily !!!
Old Jul 27th 2013, 7:48 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
€80 for 40k well im sure he should swallow that, man I would take you and your family out for a meal if you got me business like that. Im sure he does not sell them daily !!!
Spot on Andy !
Old Jul 28th 2013, 11:17 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
If you already have the keys, tell him to bugger off. Otherwise get the keys and then tell him to bugger off.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by amideislas
If you already have the keys, tell him to bugger off. Otherwise get the keys and then tell him to bugger off.
My thoughts entirely, will be able to collect it before 31st, so will be doing as you suggest :-)
Old Jul 29th 2013, 1:39 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I bought a car, but that was paid for by selling my house
is that an expensive car or a cheap house
Old Jul 29th 2013, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Domino
is that an expensive car or a cheap house
Both - its a motorhome :-)