Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Parking 'Attendents' Ayamonte

Parking 'Attendents' Ayamonte

Old Jun 20th 2019, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

A Brit in Ayamonte is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Parking 'Attendents' Ayamonte

Do the guys who point at parking spaces actually work for the 'council' or are they essentially beggers who extort money out of people? If the latter what can be done about them? A friend of mine asked for change for ten Euro and the guy ran off with it.

Most of them look dubious at best, hardly a good impression when most of them are drunk and hanging around the square waiting to don their 'high viz' jacket and swoop on another unsuspecting tourist.

Do the locals pay them anything? I doubt it.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parking 'Attendents' Ayamonte

They are not official in anyway.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by A Brit in Ayamonte
Do the guys who point at parking spaces actually work for the 'council' or are they essentially beggers who extort money out of people? If the latter what can be done about them? A friend of mine asked for change for ten Euro and the guy ran off with it.

Most of them look dubious at best, hardly a good impression when most of them are drunk and hanging around the square waiting to don their 'high viz' jacket and swoop on another unsuspecting tourist.

Do the locals pay them anything? I doubt it.

I doubt the locals pay them anything?, sometimes they will find you a space to park or assist you
with your parking, then its up to you to pay them or not?, I personally don't pay them, but have friends
who give them a Euro at most.

the council know it goes on but refuse to address the problem.

Ken. ;
Old Jun 20th 2019, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Angry Re: Parking 'Attendents' Ayamonte

Thanks for the update. Something should be done about them, it's uncomfortable especially if you have Portuguese plates on. it's an implied threat if you don't pay them. I personally will park on the official car park and pay the fee - rather than pay these drunks.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

You do not have to give them anything. They either have a habit or family to support. You take a chance that your car will still be in good condition when you return. There are stories on here of punctures and body damage but I do not warrant their veracity.
One mayor tried to clear them with little success and they do seem to be more persistent of late.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 6:08 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

The "Parking Assistants" are individuals that help you to park and will "guard" your car while you are away. I doubt any of them would damage a car because that would cause an uproar and the Police would be involved.
They are probably illegal in that I doubt they pay Autonomo which is about 350€ a month!

Davexf
Old Jun 21st 2019, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

The "Parking Assistants" are individuals that help you to park and will "guard" your car while you are away. I doubt any of them would damage a car because that would cause an uproar and the Police would be involved.
They are probably illegal in that I doubt they pay Autonomo which is about 350€ a month!

Davexf
I think it's best to give them something. I know it's likely feeding their alcohol habit but I do know of incidents where cars have been damaged. A Portuguese hire car we had many years ago. We had just arrived and had no coins to give when we returned the material on the inside of the wheel arch had been pulled down and was scraping on the wheel as we set off and I know of someone who had the mirror taken from a wing mirror.
Old Jun 21st 2019, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I would not give them a penny because of the harassment they dish out. I doubt they would guard your car anyway. I have told one to go away, get out of my face and the parking is FREE. They are not a favourable experience for any visitors to Ayamonte.
Old Jun 21st 2019, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

If there are plenty of parking spaces then we don't usually give them anything but if the car park looks full and they manage to find us a space then we do give them €1.
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 6:56 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath Las Colinas
If there are plenty of parking spaces then we don't usually give them anything but if the car park looks full and they manage to find us a space then we do give them €1.
We park at, or around the Ayamonte Central Hotel. Its free, no 'gilets jaunes', and a short stroll into town.... or to our favourite plaza Leon Ortega.

Also getting in and out is easy.

Jon
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
We park at, or around the Ayamonte Central Hotel. Its free, no 'gilets jaunes', and a short stroll into town.... or to our favourite plaza Leon Ortega.

Also getting in and out is easy.

Jon
we usually park up by the bus station which is similar but occasionally there are they are there; especially on a Saturday when the market is on. But occasionally we go further into town and that's where it's more difficult to find a space.
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Many thanks for the updates. In a nutshell, nobody like them, they don't really provide a service ( unless it's extortion) and the local council won't do anything about it!
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

SteveandCathy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by A Brit in Ayamonte
Many thanks for the updates. In a nutshell, nobody like them, they don't really provide a service ( unless it's extortion) and the local council won't do anything about it!
Best way is to smile , pay 50 cents and wish them a good day....no hassle!.
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveandCathy
Best way is to smile , pay 50 cents and wish them a good day....no hassle!.
That's what I do, with a smile and a joke - then I go on my way feeling good and not feeling angry that I've been mugged (which I probably have). It's worth a little to maintain karma 😉
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 4:20 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
That's what I do, with a smile and a joke - then I go on my way feeling good and not feeling angry that I've been mugged (which I probably have). It's worth a little to maintain karma 😉
There is one particularly noxious guy who can get aggressive. Friends drove us in for a night out, and didn't pay (he did nothing), we'd already parked up and he came begging.

When he wasn't paid he followed us for a couple of minutes hurling abuse.

I was parking another time and he actually helped a bit, but got annoyed at only receiving 50c.

So its the hotel for us.

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.