Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Park home life in Spain

Park home life in Spain

Old Jun 7th 2014, 6:04 am
Just Joined

Biker Bill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Park home life in Spain

Hello forum. Retiring very soon [67] and like the lifestyle that a Park home provides. Seen one I like near Malaga. I am a bit confused regarding the Tax issues and how residency in a Park Home/Mobile home in Spain may differ from say owning a house or an apartment and ask for some details from the forum

1. My wife and I are retired. Her pension is £10K mine is £20K
2. We own our home in Scotland
3. Use the park home mostly for holidays or perhaps extended stays if the tax regime allows
4. I have read recently of the NHS proposals for those that live out of UK but believe that as pensioners we can still return to UK for health support from NHS

Regards
Old Jun 7th 2014, 6:14 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Park home life in Spain

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. I am the Concierge for the Spanish section and thought that you might find it helpful to know that the moderators for the Spanish forums are Fred James and Bevs, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 7th 2014, 6:22 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biker Bill
Hello forum. Retiring very soon [67] and like the lifestyle that a Park home provides. Seen one I like near Malaga. I am a bit confused regarding the Tax issues and how residency in a Park Home/Mobile home in Spain may differ from say owning a house or an apartment and ask for some details from the forum

3. Use the park home mostly for holidays or perhaps extended stays if the tax regime allows
4. I have read recently of the NHS proposals for those that live out of UK but believe that as pensioners we can still return to UK for health support from NHS

Regards
The new NHS rules are actually tightening up on the rules, and, if you are classed as Spanish residents, then you may well NOT be able to get free NHS treatment. NHS treatment is free for UK RESIDENTS, and that is where the problem lies, if you live in Spain for more than 183 days a year, then you would be classed as a Spanish resident, and that may well affect your entitlement to free NHS treatment, in fact it''s cases like that that the new rules are being brought in to stop.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Regards
Whether you own property or not in Spain, if you live here for over 183 days you are tax resident. Spanish tax allowances are less generous than the UK. You will have to pay income tax on all your pensions and incomes, except government pensions(although they still have to be declared) savings ( including Isas)and investments in the UK. CGT will have to be paid in Spain on any lump sums, inheritances, winnings, pension pay outs, property sold in UK etc, even if they are tax free in UK.
Research Inheritance tax - it is very different from UK and could be a major problem.
Still want to come?
Old Jun 7th 2014, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Many thanks for the reply. Looks like we shall just have to use the property as a holiday home and not stay more than 183 days in a year. When does the financial year start.?

Been told to be able to demonstrate to the tax people that I have been out of the country-keeping air fares, ferry crossing details etc etc.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 1:26 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for the reply. Looks like we shall just have to use the property as a holiday home and not stay more than 183 days in a year. When does the financial year start.?

Been told to be able to demonstrate to the tax people that I have been out of the country-keeping air fares, ferry crossing details etc etc.
Don't forget that the Spanish authorities will assume that you are renting it out, and you will be charged a non-residents tax.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think you paid non resident tax on statics? If it is on a site I didn't think you paid IBI so therefore would not have thought you would have a valor catasteral to calculate your tax. Mind I am sure someone with a static will be able to confirm?
Old Jun 7th 2014, 7:49 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Over the years, and from bitter experience, and from ongoing bitter experience of others, mainly, I've got hoarse from saying certain truths which people don't appear to want to hear.

To say that you become a fiscal tax resident in Spain after 183 days isn't true, the emphasis being on the 'fiscal'.

If you submit forms to Hacienda, it will cost you. They will never admit to being wrong, and you can forget about refunds.

Your NIE number has got nothing to do with Hacienda. (When you get it to buy a car, as an example).

They can't fine you, embargo your bank account, and all the other nasty things that can happen to you in Spain, if you're not on their computers.

90,000 expats went home last year because they had to when the government computers sent them bills they didn't owe, and couldn't afford to pay.

(Why on earth would you tell anyone at all that you own a caravan in Spain? Or Clacton for that matter.)
Old Jun 7th 2014, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Very interesting-thanks
Old Jan 24th 2015, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

123Heidi is an unknown quantity at this point

In answer to your question regarding tax issues in Spain. I have been a non resident since October 2013 and paid my first non resident tax this year. I have used a tax consultant based within a firm of consultants in Malaga, who was recommended by a friend of ours, who is a translator and has resided in Spain for many years. The tax consultant requested sight of the purchase invoice for the mobile home and the tax was calculated from the value of the home. After the taxes were paid we were provided with proof of payment and copies of the forms sent to the tax office, which had been duly stamped as received and paid. We feel happy to leave tax issues in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing.

We also could find nothing on the internet to help us regarding taxes in Spain, particularly in respect to owning a mobile home and the tax consultant we used was extremely helpful in supplying us with information before we decided to make the move. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 1:08 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

To say that you become a fiscal tax resident in Spain after 183 days isn't true, the emphasis being on the 'fiscal'.
Perhaps you would like to expand on that as it appears to be incorrect.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The new NHS rules are actually tightening up on the rules, and, if you are classed as Spanish residents, then you may well NOT be able to get free NHS treatment. NHS treatment is free for UK RESIDENTS, and that is where the problem lies, if you live in Spain for more than 183 days a year, then you would be classed as a Spanish resident, and that may well affect your entitlement to free NHS treatment, in fact it''s cases like that that the new rules are being brought in to stop.
It's 90 days and you're resident, 183 days and you're tax resident.
In some cases you can be tax resident before this
HBG - some people like to live in an honest and legal way!
Old Jan 24th 2015, 3:00 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

As I have said many times the 90 days does not make you resident in any form at all.

It just means you have the right to stay for more than 90 days and they have your details on their list.

Every single law, EU or Spanish, uses the 183 days as the definition of resident.

If you can show me any law or official document that proves otherwise I will be pleased to change my view because I have yet to find one, and believe me, I have tried.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Bill,

The UK has taxes, so does Spain. In some ways they are different but the overall burden is quite similar for most people who have less than a million or two in their bank accounts.

Live the life you want to live where you want to live it, if it's affordable.

And if you or any member of your immediate family has ever taken any kind of benefit or support from the state, you probably know why we are taxed.

Still want to come?

Last edited by Horlics; Jan 24th 2015 at 5:01 pm.