Reload this Page >

Pap test in Spain

Pap test in Spain

Old May 22nd 2016, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Mendel247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pap test in Spain

Hi there everyone.

I was hoping those of you with plenty of experience of the Spanish health care system could help me out here. I'm (over) due for my first cervical smear test and I'm thinking of getting it done here in Spain rather than on my visit back to England.

Firstly, what do you recommend for this proceedure, England or Spain?
If I have it done in Spain (on state health services) do I get an appointment with the nurse, doctor, gynaecologist or the doctor to get an appointment with a gynaecologist? Do I need to state at reception what I want done to ensure it can be done or is it enough to turn up to my appointment and say I'd like a smear test done today?
Is this proceedure usually done by a female member of staff or is it pot luck? I don't mind if I know in advance.
Finally, what do I ask for?

Thanks a lot everyone!
Old May 22nd 2016, 7:36 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pap test in Spain

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 22nd 2016, 7:40 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mendel247
Hi there everyone.

I was hoping those of you with plenty of experience of the Spanish health care system could help me out here. I'm (over) due for my first cervical smear test and I'm thinking of getting it done here in Spain rather than on my visit back to England.

Firstly, what do you recommend for this proceedure, England or Spain?
If I have it done in Spain (on state health services) do I get an appointment with the nurse, doctor, gynaecologist or the doctor to get an appointment with a gynaecologist? Do I need to state at reception what I want done to ensure it can be done or is it enough to turn up to my appointment and say I'd like a smear test done today?
Is this proceedure usually done by a female member of staff or is it pot luck? I don't mind if I know in advance.
Finally, what do I ask for?

Thanks a lot everyone!
Best thing will be to ask your local doctor, they will be able to tell you. You could come back to the UK and pay to have it done, you will have to pay because you are no longer a UK resident and therefore cannot access the NHS for anything other than emergency treatment, so it will be cheaper to get it done in Spain.
Old May 22nd 2016, 7:48 am
Just Joined

I've only been here since February so I think I'm still covered by the NHS? I think you become a Spanish resident after 6 months so right this moment I think I still have a choice.

Thanks for your reply!
Old May 22nd 2016, 8:10 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I've only been here since February so I think I'm still covered by the NHS? I think you become a Spanish resident after 6 months so right this moment I think I still have a choice.

Thanks for your reply!
You certainly become tax resident after 6 months but after 3 months (90 days) you should sign on the list of foreigners.

Really, you are now resident in Spain as (I think) this is your main centre of economic interest.
Old May 22nd 2016, 8:32 am
Just Joined

I'm not sure why so many threads about health care become about residency but to forestall any more residency questions I've currently got a NIE which covers me until my contract ends at the end of June. It's only a short term NIE because I came to Spain to fill a vacancy for the remainder of the school year. After that I have to reapply upon my return to Spain if and when that happens. At the moment that's still up in the air. As such, since I'm currently also still paying taxes and NI in the UK I currently have a choice.

Getting back to the original question, I'm wondering about the smear test. I'd like to hear from some ladies who have had it done in both countries and hear their opinion on how the service was, where they felt more comfortable having it done and also the technicalities of having it done here in Spain, which I'm more inclined to do.

Thank you kindly
Old May 22nd 2016, 10:34 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure why so many threads about health care become about residency but to forestall any more residency questions I've currently got a NIE which covers me until my contract ends at the end of June. It's only a short term NIE because I came to Spain to fill a vacancy for the remainder of the school year. After that I have to reapply upon my return to Spain if and when that happens. At the moment that's still up in the air. As such, since I'm currently also still paying taxes and NI in the UK I currently have a choice.

Getting back to the original question, I'm wondering about the smear test. I'd like to hear from some ladies who have had it done in both countries and hear their opinion on how the service was, where they felt more comfortable having it done and also the technicalities of having it done here in Spain, which I'm more inclined to do.

Thank you kindly
The reason is simple, as a non-resident, you can't access the Spanish Health Care system! If you have been seconded here for work, then I think you may have access to the health system but it's a time-consuming process to all the necessary paperwork.

You can choose to go private in Spain but that's your only option.
Old May 23rd 2016, 2:39 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Sent you PM. Mendel