Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Massive Mistake Moving to Algeciras?

Massive Mistake Moving to Algeciras?

Old Aug 13th 2015, 11:00 am
Just Joined

MissyFantastic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Massive Mistake Moving to Algeciras?

I've just accepted a job in Algeciras. I've been wanting to move to Andalucia for ages and this, although not my first choice of destination by a long way, seemed to be a great option as my non-Spanish speaking boyfriend will hopefully have more job options in Gibraltar. But, but, but... Everything I read about it is so bad! How ugly it is, awash with petty crime, swimming in drugs. Does anyone have any advice about their real experience of the city? Also, I'm trying to choose between living in Rinconcillo or Getares or the old town without ever having visited. The beaches look great but very residential. I'm not looking for a party lifestyle but would like to live within walking distance of a couple of restaurants and shops. Does everything around the beach areas close for the winter months? I'm there for the whole academic year. Please help me!!!
Old Aug 13th 2015, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Massive Mistake Moving to Algeciras?

Yes Algeciras is one of the ugliest most horrible cities I've ever been too - and certainly the worst in Spain

Bad luck there!

You're probably best to speak to the school. I'm sure they could recommend a nice-ish area to live
Old Aug 13th 2015, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Try looking for accommodation outside Algeciras, like Los Barrios or San Roque, both have reasonable bus links.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 12:45 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissyFantastic
I've just accepted a job in Algeciras. I've been wanting to move to Andalucia for ages and this, although not my first choice of destination by a long way, seemed to be a great option as my non-Spanish speaking boyfriend will hopefully have more job options in Gibraltar. But, but, but... Everything I read about it is so bad! How ugly it is, awash with petty crime, swimming in drugs. Does anyone have any advice about their real experience of the city? Also, I'm trying to choose between living in Rinconcillo or Getares or the old town without ever having visited. The beaches look great but very residential. I'm not looking for a party lifestyle but would like to live within walking distance of a couple of restaurants and shops. Does everything around the beach areas close for the winter months? I'm there for the whole academic year. Please help me!!!
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 13th 2015, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissyFantastic
Most Spanish I know would avoid the area and it won't be getting better down there.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 7:12 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Do you drive and are you prepared to commute?

If so - no problem, live elsewhere there are lots of nice places around.

Algeciras itself does have some nice touches but most of it isn't pleasant. I don't think I would like to live there.
Old May 15th 2016, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Welshlady22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Did you go to Algeciras after all, following those negative comments?

I too have just accepted a job there starting Sept 2016 and have the same concerns as you. Please, let me know how you are getting on there. I would be grateful for any advice/suggestions. Perhaps even to meet up?
Old May 15th 2016, 5:07 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welshlady22
Hello

I too have just accepted a job there starting Sept 2016 and have the same concerns as you. Please, let me know how you are getting on there. I would be grateful for any advice/suggestions. Perhaps even to meet up?
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 15th 2016, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Bo S is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Welshlady22
Hello

I went for a day trip a couple of years ago. It is quite an industrial district. The port is a major source for goods in/out of Morocco and North Africa. I would not go back.

It would be good to know how the OP got on but looks like she took BE's advice.
Old May 23rd 2016, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Patrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the rough

Although the city is ugly the surrounding areas are really beautiful. Tarifa is 45 mins away and that´s the gateway to the Costa de la Luz and the most unspolilt beautiful beaches in Spain. Further up the Jerez road from Los Barrios you also have the Parque Natural Los Alcornocales - very green. Going east you can easily reach the stunning white villages of Caseres and then Gaucin on the edge of the amazing Sierra de las Nieves. It´s not all bad at all.
Old May 23rd 2016, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Welshlady22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for that - really helpful. The school has now been in touch and I feel more reassured.
Old May 23rd 2016, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

wsteele1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Algeciras is truly an dirty eyesore Imo, i have been a couple of times and disliked both times.
Having said that, the surrounding areas as pointed out above are truly Beautiful, and in the area are some of the best unspoilt beaches in the whole of Spain.

Just make sure you get a car to be able to enjoy what the whole area has to offer.