Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Palma de Mallorca districts

Palma de Mallorca districts

Old Mar 20th 2017, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Palma de Mallorca districts

I have been looking on the internet at flats for sale in Palma de Mallorca. I have not been there so I was hoping those familiar with the town could help me.

One estate agent has the following to say:

"The most desirable real estate areas are the Old Town and peaceful Calatrava district, the bohemian district of Santa Catalina (with a great market, and numerous restaurants and bars), and the attractive old fishing village of Portixol."

I have seen a couple of listings for flats in Santa Catalina that look appealing. However, from what I can see, Santa Catalina is quite an enclosed area and I have the following concerns:

1. The flat is likely to enjoy a general lack of sunshine. In the summer this may be a plus, but in the winter the flat would be cold and dull.

2. The estate agent's quote (see above) describes it as a "bohemian district [with] numerous restaurants and bars ". Another agent described it as "vibrant". Am I to infer that Santa Catalina is a bit tatty and noisy?

I am looking for an "upmarket" district that is within walking distance of the centre of Palma, but which is quiet and not enclosed. If someone could suggest a district that fits this requirement, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 9:47 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Palma de Mallorca districts

First, portixol is nowhere near Santa Catalina or the old town. I don't know where they get that.

Other than that, the old town and Santa Catalina are indeed highly desirable (in Palma). Santa Catalina has a certain "Greenwich village" appeal and has lots of restaurants (and a rather gay hangout), while the old town has these lovely, sophisticated old world townhouses and equally, lots of restaurants.

You really should visit both. They're both great areas, but pretty different.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
First, portixol is nowhere near Santa Catalina or the old town. I don't know where they get that.
I got it from this website: https://www.abc-mallorca.com/mallorcas-best-areas-live/

I understand there is two kilometers between the two, which I would regard as a short distance. I read on another site they were linked by a traffic-free promenade.

Originally Posted by amideislas
Other than that, the old town and Santa Catalina are indeed highly desirable (in Palma). Santa Catalina has a certain "Greenwich village" appeal and has lots of restaurants (and a rather gay hangout), while the old town has these lovely, sophisticated old world townhouses and equally, lots of restaurants.

You really should visit both. They're both great areas, but pretty different.
Thank you. I will.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 7:31 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teejaydee
I got it from this website: https://www.abc-mallorca.com/mallorcas-best-areas-live/

I understand there is two kilometers between the two, which I would regard as a short distance. I read on another site they were linked by a traffic-free promenade.

Thank you. I will.
Two kilometers? I'd question that, but i reckon if you start from the far eastern wall of the old town... And at least 3km, maybe 4 from Santa Catalina. In any case, the promenade runs along the seafront, which isn't exactly the "old town". Besides, portixol is a very separate, different, modern harbour area that can't really be compared to either of the two. It's also nice though.

Nonetheless, enjoy your hunt! Try http://idealista.com or download their free app (in English). Lots of Palma listings there.