Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Planting potatoes in Galicia

Planting potatoes in Galicia

Old Feb 25th 2017, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Planting potatoes in Galicia

I know that there are not going to be very many people on this site who live in Galicia but I thought you ought to be aware of the rules concerning growing potatoes for the next two years.

I have lived near Viveiro in NW Galcia Spain for the past 11 years. This year we have been told that the planting/growing of potatoes, in large areas of Galicia, will be banned. There is a problem with potato moths destroying crops. This decree has not been finally decreed but its expected to occur in March. Anyone buying potato seeds now have to fill out a large form concerning the area to be covered with seed potatoes.

But come March once the decree is finalised all those potatoes already planted will have to be destroyed. Potatoes are a staple food for the Galician people and this decree affects the smaller holder (like me who plant potatoes for own consumption) to the enormous crops produced to be sold on in markets and shops. The ban is expected to last for two years. Galicia is not a rich province of Spain but because of the good weather we receive in the summer and continous rain in winter planting of vegetables and fruit is everywhere. This is how people survive here.

The local paper La Voz De Galicia has a list of the affected areas concerned and also including a km wide "no man's land" across the affected zones. And it will be the Guardia Civil policing the areas.

No where have I see any form of compensation being offered to the big potato growers having their livelihood destroyed for the next two years.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planting potatoes in Galicia

Originally Posted by battlezone123
I know that there are not going to be very many people on this site who live in Galicia but I thought you ought to be aware of the rules concerning growing potatoes for the next two years.

I have lived near Viveiro in NW Galcia Spain for the past 11 years. This year we have been told that the planting/growing of potatoes, in large areas of Galicia, will be banned. There is a problem with potato moths destroying crops. This decree has not been finally decreed but its expected to occur in March. Anyone buying potato seeds now have to fill out a large form concerning the area to be covered with seed potatoes.

But come March once the decree is finalised all those potatoes already planted will have to be destroyed. Potatoes are a staple food for the Galician people and this decree affects the smaller holder (like me who plant potatoes for own consumption) to the enormous crops produced to be sold on in markets and shops. The ban is expected to last for two years. Galicia is not a rich province of Spain but because of the good weather we receive in the summer and continous rain in winter planting of vegetables and fruit is everywhere. This is how people survive here.

The local paper La Voz De Galicia has a list of the affected areas concerned and also including a km wide "no man's land" across the affected zones. And it will be the Guardia Civil policing the areas.

No where have I see any form of compensation being offered to the big potato growers having their livelihood destroyed for the next two years.
An interesting post. Makes a change from the frequent posts about getting a NIE or changing car number plates! And doubly interesting to get a post from someone who doesn't live on one of the Costas.
Not heard of the potato moth but from looking it up in Google it would seem to be especially prevalent in hotter climates, so its appearance in Galicia is worrying, especially if it's to do with climate change.
Not far from us, in Alava, they grow quite a lot of potatoes as the land is flatter & better suited to cropping.
There is Colorado beetle here, though it's not been seen much for the last few years.
I planted a row of earlies yesterday in the allotment; bought them in England, as the seed quality I think is better than here.
I hope the dairy farmers in Galicia are surviving with milk prices that barely cover costs, if that.

Last edited by Retired in Euskadi; Feb 25th 2017 at 7:04 am.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 7:09 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

That's very disturbing news. I live "next door" in the north Minho, which is also very much as you describe in terms of small scale agricultural production and with a similar heavy reliance on potatoes and like you I also grow them, amongst other things, for home consumption.

I've just googled this and it has been reported in the press here - thankfully not yet been detected but it sounds as though it's spreading alarmingly fast so I guess it may only be a matter of time. We've had the palm weevil amongst other things ravage the country from one end to the other over the past few years.

According to the article I read commercial growers whose crops have been destroyed because of signs of presence of the pest have been compensated 30 cents per kg if they've lodged a claim. I presume that's for the harvested potatoes rather than anything destroyed during the growing period, though?

Last edited by Red Eric; Feb 25th 2017 at 7:12 am.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 7:27 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to thank you for putting this information on the forum. As you can see from the rapid response of some members it appears that people near to the affect area were unaware.

Maybe they do not make it public knowledge about giving financial support to the farmers. I know that here in the Valencia province the authorities help if the orange grove owners can prove that their crops have been lost due to the cold or extremely wet weather so hopefully there will be some sort of fund.

So the price of potatoes is going to rise which will affect not only everyone living in Spain but also the countries that they normally export to.

Rosemary
Old Feb 25th 2017, 7:45 am
Banned

tuhler is an unknown quantity at this point

My first post.... Must congratulate the first and one at last from this great region of Galicia...Perhaps would like to correct what might be a miss conception of people up here...Potatoes are not our main source of food and is not the one we survive on....most of us do not grow them... we buy and eat them.... of the population the majority live in towns mostly in apartments..... although passing the 1000´s of house up here that is hard to believe...Most people eat normal food and eat out in fabulous restaurants at least once a week...Home of the Mariscos....Galician beef is a tender as the best highland beef.... our pork is sold throughout the world.... our Jamon serrano with the pigs living free and eating chestnuts has to be eaten to understand the taste.
Our industries are world beating.... we have some of the world´s leading aero space companies based here... we supply Gb and most of eu with Granite
Car componante manu´ are in their 100´s and a leading car factory ..
I my self live in a house valued at 1.5m€.... as do 100´s of other people.
Just under 2m people take their holidays here for july and august.... the weather is stunning .... beaches.... world class and the green countryside out of this world..... apart from that no comment
Old Feb 25th 2017, 7:50 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tuhler
My first post.... Must congratulate the first and one at last from this great region of Galicia...Perhaps would like to correct what might be a miss conception of people up here...Potatoes are not our main source of food and is not the one we survive on....most of us do not grow them... we buy and eat them.... of the population the majority live in towns mostly in apartments..... although passing the 1000´s of house up here that is hard to believe...Most people eat normal food and eat out in fabulous restaurants at least once a week...Home of the Mariscos....Galician beef is a tender as the best highland beef.... our pork is sold throughout the world.... our Jamon serrano with the pigs living free and eating chestnuts has to be eaten to understand the taste.
Our industries are world beating.... we have some of the world´s leading aero space companies based here... we supply Gb and most of eu with Granite
Car componante manu´ are in their 100´s and a leading car factory ..
I my self live in a house valued at 1.5m€.... as do 100´s of other people.
Just under 2m people take their holidays here for july and august.... the weather is stunning .... beaches.... world class and the green countryside out of this world..... apart from that no comment
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 26th 2017, 9:00 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

We in the Canary Islands are not permitted to import potatoes, seed or other wise from Europe, only from the U.K. or Eire, Colorado beetle is the culprit, this potato moth is a new one on me.

I grow one early crop, King Edwards, planted in September, harvested in December or January.

Hope I haven't bored you all, spuds have more character than Brexit or NIE numbers, and you can eat em!
Old Feb 26th 2017, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boseley
We in the Canary Islands are not permitted to import potatoes, seed or other wise from Europe, only from the U.K. or Eire, Colorado beetle is the culprit, this potato moth is a new one on me.

I grow one early crop, King Edwards, planted in September, harvested in December or January.

Hope I haven't bored you all, spuds have more character than Brexit or NIE numbers, and you can eat em!
I agree, spuds are more interesting than NIE problems.

What are King Edwards like as earlies? Gosh, with your climate, you're spoilt!! We're winding down here come September. Just sow broad beans about mid November, so they don't get too proud by February in case of snow/frosts!
I've just planted some earlies in this mild weather we're having.

The potatoes our local cooperative sells are mostly Dutch seed. I bought some in England when we spent 10 days after Christmas. Trust it more.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 9:41 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
I agree, spuds are more interesting than NIE problems.

What are King Edwards like as earlies? Gosh, with your climate, you're spoilt!! We're winding down here come September. Just sow broad beans about mid November, so they don't get too proud by February in case of snow/frosts!
I've just planted some earlies in this mild weather we're having.

The potatoes our local cooperative sells are mostly Dutch seed. I bought some in England when we spent 10 days after Christmas. Trust it more.
They are very thin skins, good flavour, size depends on the rainfall, normally we get less than seven good days rain annually. Because I cannot purchase seed potatoes in small quantities, the King Edwards are ordinary potatoes imported from Essex, surprising results so far though.

At the moment I am planting a continuing crop of onions, harvesting limes, and dead heading roses, the Aurum lilies are in full bloom and the bluebells are getting ready to flower, our climate is completely back to front, will I ever get used to it, I hope not................
Old Feb 27th 2017, 7:32 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boseley
According to the article I read, the first appearance of this pest on European soil was in the Canary Islands, in 1999. And apparently, it still hasn't been eradicated from there.

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
Ours stock Dutch as well - in 25kg sacks, which doesn't leave much room for experimenting with different varieties. However, I'm very pleased with Mona Lisa, which are excellent as earlies and also store reasonably well. I lift the main crop in late May / early June and we usually have useable spuds through until end of Jan or so. I've already planted my earlies from seed saved from last year and they're coming through right now, so we'll have our first trial of those around end of April.

I've occasionally bought the same variety in the supermarket when our home-grown have run out. Not a patch on our own, though, for some reason. Obviously with the new potatoes, the freshly dug factor is everything but I wouldn't have thought there could be so much of a difference with stored spuds.

Last edited by Red Eric; Feb 27th 2017 at 7:35 am.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 11:07 am
Herreño

Originally Posted by Red Eric
According to the article I read, the first appearance of this pest on European soil was in the Canary Islands, in 1999. And apparently, it still hasn't been eradicated from there.
I can only relay to you the regulations that apply here, potatoes from anywhere in Europe are not allowed in to the Canary Islands, I do not know if the other archipelagos in Macaronesia allow them in.

Never seen Colorado beetle here and unlike other places there is no big publicity stunt.

We shall no doubt continue importing King Edwards from Essex.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 11:22 am
Polished expat

Sorry - probably didn't make myself clear.

It was the Guatemalan potato moth I was referring to rather than Colorado beetle. It found its way to Spain via the Canaries, apparently - so regardless of the regulations to protect the Canaries against Colorado beetle, the Canaries haven't done too well in protecting the EU against the Guatemalan potato moth!

Just googled for info in English and these came up near the top of the list.
Written question - The Guatemalan potato moth - P-001112/2017

https://planthealthportal.defra.gov....otato-moth.pdf
Old Feb 27th 2017, 11:36 am
Herreño

It was the Guatemalan potato moth I was referring to rather than Colorado beetle. It found its way to Spain via the Canaries, apparently - so regardless of the regulations to protect the Canaries against Colorado beetle, the Canaries haven't done too well in protecting the EU against the Guatemalan potato moth!

Never have I heard of such a infestation here, we have obviously escaped the initial occurrence. The only things we export from this island are people and pineapples, potatoes are not a viable crop to export, we do not receive enough rainfall.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

I sincerely hope that the Guatemalan moth wasn't imported with a load of bananas from Guatamala. That would really be ironic.
Trump has a point, protecting national industries!
Old Mar 21st 2017, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Liana12433 is an unknown quantity at this point

Slightly off topic, but with so many gardeners commenting here will just add this on here. I would love to have some rhubarb, we have many soft fruits. I live in the Castille de Lyon my garden is close to Vallodid. Anyone seen it in the garden centers he asked hopefully.
Cheers
Nick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.