Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Paint.. Exterior

Paint.. Exterior

Old Jun 16th 2011, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

tony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Paint.. Exterior

bill belive me I have used every type of sand I can get,
some better than others but ( the builders merchants tell me it is washed !!!)
but a third party controlls that so I can only take their word for that

I had a nightmare job once

I had to build a retaining wall

THINGS I DONE TO PREVENT DAMP-

plastic membrain behind wall , damp proofer in the cement render, plastic paint finnish, drainage holes in block work

After about 4 months the paint started comming off and render behind degrading

So I went back cleaned off the flaking paint repaired the render with water proof pool adhesive re painted with quality plastic paint

After about 4 months it was the same as befor

so I went back, cut a chase in the render at just above floor level and filled with silicone in an attempt to stop the render sucking up damp

made good and re painted with plastic paint

GUESS WHAT it came off again !!

So I went back hacked the whole lot off, back to block work rendered with white sand and, white cement ( white sand is by probuct of marble cutting and contains little salt )
then finnished with white sand and fine gravel peble dash un painted

NO more problems THANK GOD !!!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 9:26 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony
bill belive me I have used every type of sand I can get,
some better than others but ( the builders merchants tell me it is washed !!!)
but a third party controlls that so I can only take their word for that

I had a nightmare job once

I had to build a retaining wall

THINGS I DONE TO PREVENT DAMP-

plastic membrain behind wall , damp proofer in the cement render, plastic paint finnish, drainage holes in block work

After about 4 months the paint started comming off and render behind degrading

So I went back cleaned off the flaking paint repaired the render with water proof pool adhesive re painted with quality plastic paint

After about 4 months it was the same as befor

so I went back, cut a chase in the render at just above floor level and filled with silicone in an attempt to stop the render sucking up damp

made good and re painted with plastic paint

GUESS WHAT it came off again !!

So I went back hacked the whole lot off, back to block work rendered with white sand and, white cement ( white sand is by probuct of marble cutting and contains little salt )
then finnished with white sand and fine gravel peble dash un painted

NO more problems THANK GOD !!!
So that's where white sand comes from.

Tony, I'm not a builder, and I can't tell you what will or will not stop damp. All I'm saying is that breatheable paint is no cure for salt spalling.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

tony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura about

HI bil

Yes damp, big problem here !!

Got A reply back from a solar factory they think a solar desalinisation unit would work but they dont think it would sell well because the countrys that need it ie Africa are poor and cant afford to buy them.

I think I may be able to modify a std unit to de salinate water
Old Jun 16th 2011, 9:41 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

HI bil

Yes damp, big problem here !!

Got A reply back from a solar factory they think a solar desalinisation unit would work but they dont think it would sell well because the countrys that need it ie Africa are poor and cant afford to buy them.

I think I may be able to modify a std unit to de salinate water
If you want a cheap desalinator, a glass tray with a black bottom, and a sloping top to condense water vapour on.

Flow sea water slowly over the top in a film to cool the top, and collect the water as it drips off. Simples!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

thanks bil

I have seen that design, should work well but not to sure if the out put would be great enough

I have a friend he has a well producing salt water he needs about 1 cubic meter per day

one factory came back with a quote of 70000 usd for plant 100m area was required for the collectors

BIT EXPENSIVE !!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 9:49 am
bil
Banned

thanks bil

I have seen that design, should work well but not to sure if the out put would be great enough

I have a friend he has a well producing salt water he needs about 1 cubic meter per day

one factory came back with a quote of 70000 usd for plant 100m area was required for the collectors

BIT EXPENSIVE !!
Desalination is frighteningly expensive. Why do you think it's such a rare source of drinking water?
Old Jun 16th 2011, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

oh well got to go and mow the grass now

Regards Tony
Old Jun 16th 2011, 10:01 am
bil
Banned

oh well got to go and mow the grass now

Regards Tony
I wouldn't have a lawn unless you paid me big time! Just too much work.

Hope you enjoy yours tho.