Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Overcome with sadness

Overcome with sadness

Old Dec 30th 2006, 7:10 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overcome with sadness

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty
Hi,
I was just driving to the shop's when all of a sudden i started crying like an idiot, With this overcome feeling of sadness about moving and thinking what the hell am i doing.

I then thought why was i feeling so emotional and it was not for missing family or friends or i will miss the uk.

It was more of feeling scared about the unknown and if it is the right decision.
I know with us moving it is the right thing to do, but i cant shift this feeling.

I have been so excited and happy but since i blubbed like a newborn i have this feeling of dread.

Has anyone else ever felt like this?
Yes, particularly sitting on the plane waiting for it to take off, still wondering if we had done the right thing.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Well today i have a brighter out look on things. and i feel good, i think i needed a good night sleep as i have not been sleeping very well, i have had that sleep and feel a lot better.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience's and the words of great wisdom
Thanks Again
Old Dec 31st 2006, 10:51 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Well today i have a brighter out look on things. and i feel good, i think i needed a good night sleep as i have not been sleeping very well, i have had that sleep and feel a lot better.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience's and the words of great wisdom
Thanks Again
As someone who has recently made the move, I've only felt like crying when I came back here for a few weeks just now. Its great to see family and friends again, but the weathers been appalling, three cups of coffee and three croissaents cost me £15.50 yesterday, beer and food now seems ridiculously expensive and I've got used to seeing drunks rolling around the streets again.

Don't expect the change to be easy, there will be many challenges, but its worth it in the end!
Old Dec 31st 2006, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future

Hi

I get like that sometimes, especially as we have still not sold our house it has been eight months now I feel in limbo. We live in a nice semi rural village and I love the countryside, kids love school etc But I remember why we are doing it in the first place and look forward what hopefully Spain has to offer us which we cannott have here , we went looking at a few properties this summer and areas we liked, and we honestly felt sad to come home. I love a lot about the UK, it will always be home, but I see Spain as an adventure and do not rule out coming back to the UK, so it does not seem as final. Life is about choices and most of us on this site choose to follow our dreams rather than wonder what if.
Good luck, have a great New Year and keep us posted when you arrive.

Helen
Old Dec 31st 2006, 1:10 pm
No es moco de pavo

Elle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond repute

I had the opposite emotion. I didn't get upset about leaving the UK, or even about leaving family and friends. I kept waiting for it to kick in - and for the floodgates to open. But they didn't - and that was more distressing for me.
Within 2 days of moving here... I wondered if I'd done the right thing. We arrived with only temporary accomodation sorted out... but we found our perfect home on Day 2 and haven't looked back! It was the people around me who were more emotional about the change.
Everyone reacts in different ways to such an upheaval, and some will find it harder than others. The important thing is how you deal with it. You sound absolutely on the right track. You've got people here to support you... to provide helpful advice... even to give "cuddles" when you need it!
You'll be fine hon! Just think of all the benefits... and you'll be right on track.
Hugs, Elle xx
PS. I went to the UK for Xmas - and obviously seeing friends and family was great - but I was counting the days until I could get back to what is now very much home.

Feliz ano nuevo chica!
Old Dec 31st 2006, 2:20 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

Just remember If your feeling homesick you can book a cheap flight and go home for the weekend, your only 25 euros (Madrid-East Midlands) and two hours away. Trust me it won't take too many before you'll be glad you moved. I didn't quite understand why the Brits were so mad about moving to Spain (we came via Germany from Canada) till I spent a few days in Nottingham over Christmas. Well it was nice understanding everything (actually kind of amusing being asked where we where from) but the weather, oh my god horrible! Grey overcast wet and cold. Totally depressing, I much prefer opening the curtains in the morning and seeing sun shine. Trust me a few weekends back home should convince you of the advantages of life in the Sun.

Last edited by tim hortons man; Dec 31st 2006 at 2:25 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 3:02 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

I was terrified for weeks before we came, and on the plane coming, we had no where to go. We had two suite cases and a one nights hotel booking.
I was scared so scared i could hardly talk I held on to my other half like I was a little girl.
But 10 months down the line I wonder what all the fuss was about, we came back a few weeks a go and well, the experience well, why do we now call Spain home the list would go on endlessly.
I hope you have as much fun and Joy as we do.
Today the sun is shinning.
Tonight we are spending with a group of Spanish friends.
We have been accepted into a society that was alien to us when we arrived , we have been welcomed with open arms and this is now our home.
Good luck
your not that far from us
Have a good time
and enjoy every minute
Old Dec 31st 2006, 3:06 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
As someone who has recently made the move, I've only felt like crying when I came back here for a few weeks just now. Its great to see family and friends again, but the weathers been appalling, three cups of coffee and three croissaents cost me £15.50 yesterday, beer and food now seems ridiculously expensive and I've got used to seeing drunks rolling around the streets again.

Don't expect the change to be easy, there will be many challenges, but its worth it in the end!
Exactly what we found when we were there earlier this month, and everyone is all huddled up in dreary depressing coloured clothes, with depressing weather. Some friends are now on their way back from the UK by car, spoke to them today, and they found exactly what we had, they wer glad to see friends, but can't wait to get back here, especially after we told them people are sitting on their trerraces in the sun in bikinis today:scared:
Old Dec 31st 2006, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
This morning i thought the flood gates had gone, how very wrong was i.

We cancelled our new years eve party only to find most still think they are coming so i am running around like a t-t and getting stuff ready.

But i do not feel happy one bit, i am looking forward to going and WANT to go and can not wait.
But there is so many ppl here tonight i want to strangle. the bunch of gits who said we would never do it. and the one's who think we are being silly and the other's who think i am being selfish.

All i can say is it is going to be a bloody sorry affair in my house tonight

I am going to have to be all smiles and grace when all i want to do is scream "i dont want any of you shi-ty ppl in my house"

But i will grin and bare it god give me hope.

Hubby is already in a mood with me and his not even home from work. i have been ringing him all day moaning and piss-d of.

Anyway guys have a fab night and enjoy and be good
Old Dec 31st 2006, 4:44 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
This morning i thought the flood gates had gone, how very wrong was i.

We cancelled our new years eve party only to find most still think they are coming so i am running around like a t-t and getting stuff ready.

But i do not feel happy one bit, i am looking forward to going and WANT to go and can not wait.
But there is so many ppl here tonight i want to strangle. the bunch of gits who said we would never do it. and the one's who think we are being silly and the other's who think i am being selfish.

All i can say is it is going to be a bloody sorry affair in my house tonight

I am going to have to be all smiles and grace when all i want to do is scream "i dont want any of you shi-ty ppl in my house"

But i will grin and bare it god give me hope.

Hubby is already in a mood with me and his not even home from work. i have been ringing him all day moaning and piss-d of.

Anyway guys have a fab night and enjoy and be good
All you need to do to get through the night is to think of where and how you will be celebrating new years eve next year. We are all new on this complex here in Spain and all the neighbours are having a big party tonight to celebrate. Happy new year and enjoy your new life

Sam
Old Dec 31st 2006, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sam parky
All you need to do to get through the night is to think of where and how you will be celebrating new years eve next year. We are all new on this complex here in Spain and all the neighbours are having a big party tonight to celebrate. Happy new year and enjoy your new life

Sam
God how i wish i was there
Old Jan 1st 2007, 7:28 am
Concierge

God how i wish i was there
Loads of fireworks last night, seemed to start at about 10 to midnight and go on till about half past, plenty of noisy ones.
Anyway Happy New Year, next year in Spain
Old Jan 1st 2007, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

HI,
Well i am glad you have a had a lovely time.

To be fair there was more fireworks last night than at bonfire night.

And i hope you have a fab 2007
Old Jan 1st 2007, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

cherie is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh dear, I have to say it........yawn.......yawn........yawn.........yawn ......and yet,........Yawn again.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cherie
Oh dear, I have to say it........yawn.......yawn........yawn.........yawn ......and yet,........Yawn again.
??? It's late - go to bed!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.