Outsiders.

Old Sep 13th 2010, 8:37 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Outsiders.

Originally Posted by HBG
Within the next two years, for the first time ever, I believe, almost the entire American military will be back on home soil. Millions of young, fit men (and women), trained to kill, wandering about in a country with gun shops on every corner.

And if the Republicans get back in, as seems likely, what are they going to do with all those citizens ready to fight? And the strong possibility that there are no jobs for them in civilian life? A million Rambos on the loose?

All it will need is for someone to raise a flag, and it will all be off again. I wonder what will be on that flag? Old Europe will have to tread carefully.
Hilary Clinton has already ear marked Mexico.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11234058
Old Sep 13th 2010, 9:10 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by playamonte
Hilary Clinton has already ear marked Mexico.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11234058
You reckon they will have pacified Afghanistan, or just run away?
Old Sep 14th 2010, 7:36 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not trying to prolong a thread that has run its natural course, and I'm not complaining that the forum management moved it when the topic no longer fitted the forum's aims; in fact it increased my enjoyment of reading diverse opinions – that's what we're here for, is it not?

Apart from thanking the participants, I've got one tiny thing to add to the original subject. I've been an outsider for so long that I enjoy the experience. It's a never-ending adventure, there is no realistic place to go back to, and who knows what's around the corner?

Whatever it is, I'll be the outsider.

(And Afghanistan is an unwinnable war, the Khyber Pass leads into it, and the Cockney rhyming slang for it (the Pass) is most appropriate).
Old Sep 14th 2010, 8:13 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
You reckon they will have pacified Afghanistan, or just run away?
No they are there to secure the oil that is abundant in the Stans (Uzbekistan/Kazakhstan etc) and will not leave until they have secured a favorable administration.
Yes they may well pull out most front line troops, but their private army will I guess stay on to protect their assets as they see them.

Time will tell of course.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 8:14 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

No they are there to secure the oil that is abundant in the Stans (Uzbekistan/Kazakhstan etc) and will not leave until they have secured a favorable administration.
Yes they may well pull out most front line troops, but their private army will I guess stay on to protect their assets as they see them.

Time will tell of course.
Favourable admin? As in puppet, I assume....
Old Sep 14th 2010, 9:26 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bil
Favourable admin? As in puppet, I assume....
Of course Bil, as they are well used to doing if those in power do not toe Washington's agenda (as you know)
Old Sep 14th 2010, 10:03 pm
bil
Banned

Of course Bil, as they are well used to doing if those in power do not toe Washington's agenda (as you know)
Or as Blair did, kiss the almighty American arse.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 10:14 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Or as Blair did, kiss the almighty American arse.
Seen this Bil?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11292461
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:52 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

As for the thread subject, I as a native-born Brit with British parents, certainly feel like an outsider here in London. Don't get me wrong, part of the appeal of London is the multi-cultural cosmopolitanism; if I want to see an Irish play, or eat Middle_Eastern food or hear 100 languages spoken in the street, it's easy to do. But I certainly don't feel that it's my city or people, just somewhere I'm currently living. Would I feel better going back to my home town? Probably not. But there are places I would feel at home in.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 9:28 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Matt, I will say this. Blair, or his advisors were bright enough to recognise that we had to talk to the IRA and allow their leaders to get their trotters in the trough. Once there they would not wish to walk away from the lovely gravey, and the violence could start to wind down.

We just should have talked with them years ago.

I always felt tho that Blair was less than adequate in his support for Mo Mowlem.

It is a sad fact that people just can't appreciate that when people are denied a proper voice in politics, they will almost inevitably turn to violence.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bil
Matt, I will say this. Blair, or his advisors were bright enough to recognise that we had to talk to the IRA and allow their leaders to get their trotters in the trough. Once there they would not wish to walk away from the lovely gravey, and the violence could start to wind down.

We just should have talked with them years ago.

It is a sad fact that people just can't appreciate that when people are denied a proper voice in politics, they will almost inevitably turn to violence.

Today the Real IRA have declared that they intend to resume attacks on mainland UK...........
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Today the Real IRA have declared that they intend to resume attacks on mainland UK...........
Targeting British bankers ,assuming they were not talking slang

http://www.france24.com/en/20100915-...attack-bankers
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:50 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by whitelinen
The 'real' Ira is a splinter group. Just think, instead of this threat, we could be enjoying the full repertoire of all the IRA instead of this tiny group that refuses to talk.

Like Churchill said, 'Better to Jaw, Jaw than War, War.'
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
As for the thread subject, I as a native-born Brit with British parents, certainly feel like an outsider here in London. Don't get me wrong, part of the appeal of London is the multi-cultural cosmopolitanism; if I want to see an Irish play, or eat Middle_Eastern food or hear 100 languages spoken in the street, it's easy to do. But I certainly don't feel that it's my city or people, just somewhere I'm currently living. Would I feel better going back to my home town? Probably not. But there are places I would feel at home in.
I find that really sad as I worked there and brought up my kids there and if I was rich would buy a holiday home there in the West End with roof garden. A wonderful city and no nosy neighbours.