British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Outsiders. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/outsiders-684983/)

HBG Sep 11th 2010 6:50 pm

Outsiders.

The name of this forum explain it well, we are expats – outsiders. It's not a big deal in a foreigner friendly country which welcomes integration, but there are dangers.

We can overdo our efforts at integration. It can lead to resentment. A decent knowledge of the language and our host country's traditions will improve our lives, but I think that we should observe certain limits and not get too carried away.

I've been invited to weddings, funerals and christenings because I've been here for a long time and treat people with respect, but I'll always be the guiri in the corner and I respect that.

Sometimes it's 'Muy privado', and we are excluded, and rightly so, we are celebrating the Battle of Britain at the moment, and paying our respects to 9/11, and our hosts are excluded, especially from the former.

My pal, Ramon, has never even heard of the Battle of Britain, I tried to explain earlier until I remembered Franco.

bfg69bug Sep 11th 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Outsiders.

um, ok ?

bil Sep 11th 2010 8:15 pm

I'm never quite nationalistic enough to actually celebrate the former, and as for the latter, had the twin towers been packed with the americans who supported the IRA and lied about Iraq, I would have cheered their fall to the echo.

HBG Sep 11th 2010 8:45 pm

My wife is a born Cockney but has lived most of her life in Spain, learning both Catalan and Castellano on her back (I'm dead if she reads this, and we're both on our second go on the marry-go-round).

On Wednesday she was watching Eastenders, a reminder of a long-distant home for her. I was on the terrace but came in when she started cursing, first in Castellano and then in Catalan as she got more exited.

The Queen Vic was burning down and she called Barbara Windsor a Puta. I nearly fell off my chair laughing, and she implied that I was Windsor's son. It got more heated and she forgot her English and really went to town.

She could integrate tomorrow, again, but I would have no chance. They never taught me the Spanish F words at night school.

bil Sep 11th 2010 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 8841653)
They never taught me the Spanish F words at night school.

Read el Jueves.

rugbymatt Sep 11th 2010 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 8841653)
My wife is a born Cockney but has lived most of her life in Spain, learning both Catalan and Castellano on her back .

Is it just me who feels a little uncomfortable reading something like that!?

HBG Sep 11th 2010 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 8841671)
Read el Jueves.

You've mispelt things, Bil. Mis huevos would have been more appropriate. And as purely Spanish is rightly discouraged on this forum, bollocks would have been more appropriate.

Jur Sep 11th 2010 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 8841612)
I'm never quite nationalistic enough to actually celebrate the former, and as for the latter, had the twin towers been packed with the americans who supported the IRA and lied about Iraq, I would have cheered their fall to the echo.

Wasn´t that after the 9/11 attack ?

bil Sep 11th 2010 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jur (Post 8841748)
Wasn´t that after the 9/11 attack ?

I can dream, can't I?

I think I am right in saying that the US has screwed more democracies than ever Russia did

Jur Sep 11th 2010 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 8841750)
I can dream, can't I?

If you want to bend it that way, fine.

bil Sep 11th 2010 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 8841746)
You've mispelt things, Bil. Mis huevos would have been more appropriate. And as purely Spanish is rightly discouraged on this forum, bollocks would have been more appropriate.

I think you will find that there is a magazine whose name is El Jueves = Thursday.

It's full name is 'Thursday. The magazine that comes out on Wednesday'

PS, I think you will find that mispelt is misspelt. As it were. Ahaha.

bil Sep 11th 2010 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jur (Post 8841754)
If you want to bend it that way, fine.

OK, just those yanks that supported terrorism and helped to overthrow democracies prior to 9/11.

Of course we might need a few more towers to hold them all, but ....

HBG Sep 11th 2010 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 8841703)
Is it just me who feels a little uncomfortable reading something like that!?

I would imagine it is only you, jocular comments seem to pass you by, I blame it on the constant rain and counting sheep for a living. And if you keep making silly remarks, I'm going to phone the Orchards.

rugbymatt Sep 11th 2010 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 8841764)
I would imagine it is only you, jocular comments seem to pass you by, I blame it on the constant rain and counting sheep for a living. And if you keep making silly remarks, I'm going to phone the Orchards.

Yeah yeah yeah... it wasn't an attack... I am a reformed person, I just think its a little disrespectful thats all... I say a lot of shit on this forum but I would never say something like that about the person I share my bed with.

Oh and tomorrow I will mostly be destroying Himalayan Balsam, not sheep counting.

HBG Sep 11th 2010 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 8841769)
Yeah yeah yeah... it wasn't an attack... I am a reformed person, I just think its a little disrespectful thats all... I say a lot of shit on this forum but I would never say something like that about the person I share my bed with.

Oh and tomorrow I will mostly be destroying Himalayan Balsam, not sheep counting.

Well, it's Sunday tomorrow, isn't it?