Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Other side of the coin.

Other side of the coin.

Old Aug 1st 2012, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Other side of the coin.

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
A lot of Brits I speak to consider Spanish food as far too bland.
Probably still a lot of catching up to do after the long period of austerity under Franco.

Personally I consider both Latin American and Portugese food and cooking to be far tastier and superior in every way to typical Spanish dross.

Unlike in the UK, once outside the Spanish big cities and towns the choice tends to be very limited with mostly only basic menus on offer even then at limited hours.
Compare that to the huge variety of international cuisine easily available in most places throughout the UK.

No contest really.
That's because outside the big cities most people eat at home, or have lunch in cheap & cheerful bars or ventas if they can't get home for lunch. They want something cheap, basic and filling. Hardly anyone goes out for a meal in the evening, like they do in the UK.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino

* real English free-range eggs
We have a a glut the moment, come and help yourself!

But you are in a rural area, aren't you? Any village shop should be able to sell you good "huevos de campo". Try the greengrocers!
Old Aug 1st 2012, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Unlike in the UK, once outside the Spanish big cities and towns the choice tends to be very limited with mostly only basic menus on offer even then at limited hours.
Compare that to the huge variety of international cuisine easily available in most places throughout the UK.

No contest really.
When in Spain we always eat Spanish food, and generally enjoy most of it. However I don't find it the great culinary experience that some would have us believe, it can be pretty repetitive, pretty unexciting really. And as for people that wax lyrical about the ubiquitous menu del día, most we have had have been instantly forgettable. Remember someone here going on about paying €3-€4, could you really expect anything decent for that? The last one we had a few months ago was €9, I certainly won't be rushing back. I must confess to not being a coffee fan, so again I can't get as excited as some about Spanish coffee. It's coffee, no better, no worse than what I've had anywhere else. I haven't seen googleman here yet in this thread, he always used to tell us Spain had more Michelin stars than UK!
Old Aug 1st 2012, 11:07 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I have just posted on a spanish/british food thread

Anyway....I don't find the menus in Spain very interesting. Loads of pork dishes, basic chicken, steak etc. never change their menus for years. The 3 course menu del día would hardly make one course for quantity!
Old Aug 1st 2012, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Domino
his wife giving up work to look after kids because childcare is so expensive will also improve that support.

Article states wife and kids went back to Spain..................... wonder if he still receives those benefits?
Old Aug 1st 2012, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I have just posted on a spanish/british food thread

Anyway....I don't find the menus in Spain very interesting. Loads of pork dishes, basic chicken, steak etc. never change their menus for years. The 3 course menu del día would hardly make one course for quantity!
And don't expect any decent veg with it, if you do get any it'll be cooked to death.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by agoreira
And don't expect any decent veg with it, if you do get any it'll be cooked to death.
But putting the meat and veg on the same plate isn't traditional in Spain so apart from chips they won't cook them at the same time as the meat. You'll probably just get a dollop of pisto cooked that morning.

However there are lots of good stews and menestras that turn the vegetables into a meal.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Funny, exactly what Spanish people say about vegetables and meat cooked in the UK
Old Aug 1st 2012, 3:14 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Funny, exactly what Spanish people say about vegetables and meat cooked in the UK
Nah, you are out of date. Thanks to TV we get them crispy crunchy now
Old Aug 1st 2012, 3:18 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Nah, you are out of date. Thanks to TV we get them crispy crunchy now
true......and now duck is pink......
Old Aug 1st 2012, 4:13 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Funny how the Brits used to be accused of having chips with everything.

Hardly ever see the Spanish without chips on their plates these days, especially with their menus del dia.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

A mix of working and middle class people

I agree with her btw, British food and cooking is all marketing and little substance. It is fashionable but the knowledge and tradition behind the cooking has been lost. Cooking in the home is generally terrible although of course there are exceptions

British people have been brainwashed by the PR department of people like Oliver, Ramsey, Stein and co.

For example, in Benalmadena Pueblo there are 2 or 3 restaurants that pretend to be Spanish (tourists will think they are Spanish, I even did when I first arrived) but run by British people. The food has been changed so much from its origins that they have destroyed the very essence of the food e.g. frying embutido de chorizo or putting gravy on morcilla This shows a huge enthusiasm for food but a lack of fundamental knowledge
Again, your talking tosh, you just won't accept that food has improved dramatically in the UK, nobody I know overcooks veg anymore, we leave that to the Spanish lol. You say cooking in the home is bad, if so what do people do with the myriad of ingredients supermarkets stock and sell, put them in the cupboard and look at them

Lets be honest, Spanish food is OK, but its nothing really special, certainly in the typical eateries you see and some tapas is...not good.

Your nonsense does amuse me though poppet, your a bit like a very young Colonel Blimp in your attitudes
Old Aug 1st 2012, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Funny how the Brits used to be accused of having chips with everything.

Hardly ever see the Spanish without chips on their plates these days, especially with their menus del dia.
You obviously go to the wrong establishments DD

Probably why I've never seen any English people at the places I eat at. They prefer to stick to the typical tourist fair, which I agree, is dire

And English restaurants I guess have improved over the past 20 years ago (I'm too young to know), but people continue to eat cr*p at home. Otherwise the freezer sections and ready meal departments in UK supermarkets wouldnt be so huge - and you guys here wouldnt be talking about Iceland all the time. Kind of contradictory isnt it - Iceland and good food? Even middle class British people know that only chavs shop there
Old Aug 1st 2012, 5:16 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

You obviously go to the wrong establishments DD

Probably why I've never seen any English people at the places I eat at. They prefer to stick to the typical tourist fair, which I agree, is dire

And English restaurants I guess have improved over the past 20 years ago (I'm too young to know), but people continue to eat cr*p at home. Otherwise the freezer sections and ready meal departments in UK supermarkets wouldnt be so huge - and you guys here wouldnt be talking about Iceland all the time. Kind of contradictory isnt it - Iceland and good food? Even middle class British people know that only chavs shop there
I never ever go near Iceland and only menu of the day very occasionally when I have little choice yet I see the Spanish stuffing their faces with chips all over the place having taken to them just as quickly as they have with fast food joints.
In any event I doubt if the masses can afford to eat regularly in expensive up market places these days.
Sorry if it causes you a touch of embarrassment, but fact nevertheless.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry if it causes you a touch of embarrassment, but fact nevertheless.
I'm not sure why I should be embarrased?

btw, I read last year in a study in El Pais that 70% of all visitors to McDs in Spain are tourists. And that Spaniards visit fast food places ten times less frequently than a Brit - and 20 times less than an American

I'll dig out the report when I have time if you like, although it is in Spanish so you will struggle

The fact is that Spain has a rich and varied culinary tradition that runs deep through society. Its just a shame that mass tourism came and painted a very different picture to the outside world. For example, out of the 1000s of eateries in Fuenglirola, 99% of them are absolute tripe. Spaniards are as much to blame for that, for not having the confidence that they could market good Spanish food to tourists

Last edited by cricketman; Aug 1st 2012 at 6:09 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.