Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Opinions wanted

Opinions wanted

Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

celestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nice
Default Re: Opinions wanted

Originally Posted by GlasgowGeek
Thanks for the reply! :-)

RE. War Pension. Does your hubby get any of the supplements, and was there any problem getting them paid abroad? I did get WP in Germany but only 40% + ALSO.

I ask because i get now the mobility supplement instead of DLA mobility being paid.

Thanks,
Glenn
Hi, can I be cheeky and ask how old you are? Hubby's pension is tax exempt through War Veterans Agency as he was no longer able to continue his role in the armed forces after 15 years service. It's not a huge amount but we manage (though sometimes only just) Still would rather be managing here together than still loiving the way we were in the UK. He never applied for mobility so can't comment on that. We have never had a problem getting it paid abroad. Look at the facilities in Sevilla Hospital for your daughter as you may find properties and cost of living less expensive in Sevilla province.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 9:42 am
Just Joined

GlasgowGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by celestine
Hi, can I be cheeky and ask how old you are? Hubby's pension is tax exempt through War Veterans Agency as he was no longer able to continue his role in the armed forces after 15 years service. It's not a huge amount but we manage (though sometimes only just) Still would rather be managing here together than still loiving the way we were in the UK. He never applied for mobility so can't comment on that. We have never had a problem getting it paid abroad. Look at the facilities in Sevilla Hospital for your daughter as you may find properties and cost of living less expensive in Sevilla province.
Hiya,
I'm 38 now. In Germany, the German DHSS disregarded all of the WP for tax AND benefits allowance. When we returned to the UK we had to live of £45 a week for the 4 of us as i was told i was a 'person from abroad' and wasn't entitled to any UK benefits. I still only get a 40% WP because if i tried to claim more, Income support would stop and we would get no premiums, even though both children are also disabled and it would also stop Housing Benefit, Council Tax and a lot of NHS treatment.

So we are used to having times of very little money. But we'd rather be skint and happy than skint and miserable. :-)

To start with at least, we have decided to just try and find a cheaper area to live until we find our feet. Suggestions welcome!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:51 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by celestine
.... Look at the facilities in Sevilla Hospital for your daughter as you may find properties and cost of living less expensive in Sevilla province.
There are many hospitals in and around Sevilla including a very new one in the chain of Nisa, see http://www.hospitales.nisa.es/webeng/principal.nsf for some details. We have used them for very minor stuff and found them ok so far.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by El Capitan
There are many hospitals in and around Sevilla including a very new one in the chain of Nisa, see http://www.hospitales.nisa.es/webeng/principal.nsf for some details. We have used them for very minor stuff and found them ok so far.
It says on their site that they are a private group which we could never afford.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:31 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

They are indeed a private group but an indication of what exists here. Then there are 'public' hospitals too in Sevilla and so it all depends who is going to be funding your medical care in Spain.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by El Capitan
They are indeed a private group but an indication of what exists here. Then there are 'public' hospitals too in Sevilla and so it all depends who is going to be funding your medical care in Spain.
That's something i'm still trying to wok out. Whether the NHS will continue or if the Spanish equivalent will take over. Tis all very confusing with more E numbers than a tube of smarties :-/
Old Jul 12th 2008, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

celestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nice

Originally Posted by GlasgowGeek
Hi folks,

We want to move to Spain. Only been there once for 2 weeks but fell in love with the place and the people we met. I am essentially English, my wife is German, the kids are dual. We are all non-typical and get on very well with people from most countries and cultures.

Our plan is to buy an old minibus and remove some seats to qualify for lower insurance as a private vehicle, fill it with the crap that's important. Oh, and the kids & pets. Then go, after finding a place to rent short-term online.

Home is where we are so no worries about missing places etc.

Any flaws or advice?

Thankies
Just thought this might give you something to have a look at...Kyero is a site showing not only areas but property prices. It also gives you an idea about schools etc. An area that seems to have a lot for sale at the moment is Pruna don't know much about the area but looks like it could be good from an investment point of view. Could be wrong. Anyway just thought you might like to have a look.