Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Opinions needed on buying a place in Spain

Opinions needed on buying a place in Spain

Old Apr 14th 2011, 10:54 am

michael123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opinions needed on buying a place in Spain

Good Afternoon everyone,
I'm looking for some information about buying a villa/house somewhere in Spain and having lurked here for awhile I thought this forum would be the perfect place to ask about that.

I'm currently living in Madrid (since 20 years) and I am due to retire shortly. I know, having said that, that people might find it strange me asking for info but let me explain what I'm looking for and whether I can find such a thing..

What I'm looking for is a small to medium town near or on the coast with good local transport as neither my wife or I drive, I'm not too keen to live in a gated complex or even a communidad, and I don't really want to live in an area where there are lots of expats. Ideally such a villa/house would have a garden of at least 200 - 500 sq mts, be close to medical facilities and shops etc. I would be paying cash and my budget would be about 200 - 300K Euros Oh and a final thought I'd like where ever it is to be on or close to the RENFE network.

I have done a lot of Googling and also spent a fair amount of time on Idealista, Fotocasa etc. but haven't really been able to identify any likely places that really take my fancy so I'd appreciate any feedback some of the regulars here might have
Old Apr 14th 2011, 11:10 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinions needed on buying a place in Spain

Hi Michael. Can you clarify something? You mention wanting something "near the coast", but as you're no doubt aware, there is a vast beautiful northern coastline taking in Galicia, Asturias, Cantabria and the Basque country. Of course you may not want the milder more changeable weather that goes with it; hence the reason for the question. But it's certainly the place to avoid "lots of expats"

If the milder climate doesn't bother you, then I believe you can find such places within your budget. For example Comillas or San Vicente de la Barquera in Santander province are very attractive towns - you don't have to be based in the towns themselves but go inland a bit to say Cabezon de la Sal (not 100% sure but likely to have bus connections to other towns; plus it has the local FEVE train) . Renfe trains can be caught at either Santander or (I believe) TorrelaVega. This is an example, but I'm sure there are other places along the coast.

Good luck in your search
Old Apr 14th 2011, 11:36 am

Thanks for the reply Stevie but unfortunately the northern coast part of Spain has weather systems a bit too similar to the UK :-( plus after 20 years here in Madrid I'm kinda addicted to hot weather. I do like visiting Santander and its environs as it was one of the first places my colleagues took me too when I first came here from France and I found it quite similar to North East UK which is where I come from originally. However I'll certainly have a look round the places you've mentioned.

Last edited by michael123; Apr 14th 2011 at 11:38 am. Reason: Typo
Old Apr 14th 2011, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Try looking at the towns around Valencia served by renfe such as Cullera or Gandia to the south or Castellon north of Valencia.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by michael123
Good Afternoon everyone,
I'm looking for some information about buying a villa/house somewhere in Spain and having lurked here for awhile I thought this forum would be the perfect place to ask about that.

I'm currently living in Madrid (since 20 years) and I am due to retire shortly. I know, having said that, that people might find it strange me asking for info but let me explain what I'm looking for and whether I can find such a thing..

What I'm looking for is a small to medium town near or on the coast with good local transport as neither my wife or I drive, I'm not too keen to live in a gated complex or even a communidad, and I don't really want to live in an area where there are lots of expats. Ideally such a villa/house would have a garden of at least 200 - 500 sq mts, be close to medical facilities and shops etc. I would be paying cash and my budget would be about 200 - 300K Euros Oh and a final thought I'd like where ever it is to be on or close to the RENFE network.

I have done a lot of Googling and also spent a fair amount of time on Idealista, Fotocasa etc. but haven't really been able to identify any likely places that really take my fancy so I'd appreciate any feedback some of the regulars here might have
You could consider something on the Costa del Sol. Somewhere close to the "cercania" train between Malaga and Fuengirola.
Fuengirola has a lot of ex-pats, but if you just cross the border to Las Lagunas (belongs to Mijas) then they all are gone, pure Spanish. And that is just 15 minutes walk from the beach / train station in Fuengirola.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuengirola
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:45 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I hesitate in answering, because what I’m going to suggest may not be what a 20-year resident in Madrid might want, but a million Madrilenos come here for their holidays every year and many have holiday homes here.

I live on the outskirts of Torrevieja, a Spanish city with four blue flag beaches and everything else you could wish for, excellent medical and hospital services and the choice to mix with your own, Spanish or other communities from around the world.

It’s a bit rough and ready because of the mix of nationalities, but getting more and more safe as the communities gel.

If you want something smaller, the coast between San Pedro and Denia is full of such places, but none of them have anywhere near the facilities found in Torrevieja.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

ajandannie is an unknown quantity at this point

What I'm looking for is a small to medium town near or on the coast with good local transport as neither my wife or I drive, I'm not too keen to live in a gated complex or even a communidad, and I don't really want to live in an area where there are lots of expats. Ideally such a villa/house would have a garden of at least 200 - 500 sq mts, be close to medical facilities and shops etc

DENIA is the place you need,

New hospital,
Small Spanish town that has everything, a few Germans and English, but mostly Spanish,
Motorway links to cheap Alicante and Valencia Airport,
Lots of Fiestas
Lots of cycle lanes,
And in your old age, disabled access and help on the 16 km of sandy beaches.
(SNIP)
John

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Apr 15th 2011 at 10:02 am. Reason: Do not advertise on the forums please
Old Apr 14th 2011, 9:00 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

As it has been pointed out nothing can beat a bit of good old fashioned leg work.

A good place to start would be a place that you might have visited before and liked. Try looking at those places with a view to live rather than just visting.

you should be able to pick up a good little bargain.

cheers
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:35 am

Good Morning everyone,
Thank you for all the replies, I do appreciate the feedback and I'll certainly investigate further all the places mentioned so far

@ Playamonte It's a pity your place is inland as it looks quite tempting :-)
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:34 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michael123
Good Morning everyone,
Thank you for all the replies, I do appreciate the feedback and I'll certainly investigate further all the places mentioned so far

@ Playamonte It's a pity your place is inland as it looks quite tempting :-)
Thanks for that (you must have clicked on my sig) still if not for you I am sure it will be just what someone wants.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that Águilas might work. It's a pretty town in southern Murcia, with a port, good fish restaurants, some culture (several famous actors and painters are from Águilas). There's a train and the foreign population is modest.
The town has a history of foreigners however, with Scottish miners in the mid nineteenth century, the oldest football pitch in Spain and a protestant church. The town is famous for its carnavales.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Opinions needed on buying a place in Spain

Originally Posted by Lenox
I thought that Águilas might work. It's a pretty town in southern Murcia, with a port, good fish restaurants, some culture (several famous actors and painters are from Águilas). There's a train and the foreign population is modest.
The town has a history of foreigners however, with Scottish miners in the mid nineteenth century, the oldest football pitch in Spain and a protestant church. The town is famous for its carnavales.
I always thought that Huelva was the first place in Spain to have a football pitch/club again the lagacy of Scottish miners and managers who also started the first golf course/club in Spain.