Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Opening a spanish bank - PROOF OF UNEMPLOYMENT?

Opening a spanish bank - PROOF OF UNEMPLOYMENT?

Old Dec 26th 2016, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

DanielleMarie is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Opening a spanish bank - PROOF OF UNEMPLOYMENT?

Hi there, My name is Danielle and i am a british lady (20 years old). I have a british bank account & live off savings which was left to me two years ago from the sale of my fathers house when he died. I have no immediate family so i am on my own with no one to help me through these processes

I moved to Benidorm around 2 months ago and have myself an NIE number (finally), i have approached banks for a bank account and they tell me i need proof of unemployment. I Have never been employed, nor unemployed. I used to work with my father in his business but have no official forms as he just used to pay for everything for me, and in return i had to work for him. I have a british bank account with savings (which i could prove to them, if they let me) so it seems i am TOTALLY STUCK unable to prove i am UNEMPLOYED - definitely something i did not expect.

Would anybody be able to help? How do i get a bank account without all these forms..as im never going to be able to have these forms in the first place?

Kind Regards

Danielle
Old Dec 26th 2016, 2:57 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a spanish bank - PROOF OF UNEMPLOYMENT?

As you are NOT resident yet, try going to another bank and open a non-resident account. All you will need for this is your passport - some might ask for NIE as well.

Once you have signed on the list of foreigners (whih needs proof of savings and proof of private health care), you go to your bank and ask them to change your account to a resident one . This has fewer charges.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

A non residents account would do me just fine, it was this i asked for in santander and this was when they asked for proof of unemployment. I hardly know any spanish but made my translations clear via my phone app. Do you know if i would need a certificate of residence or certificate of non residence, i have heard about some asking for this via the internet? Thank you very much for your help it is very much appreciated.
Old Dec 27th 2016, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanielleMarie
A non residents account would do me just fine, it was this i asked for in santander and this was when they asked for proof of unemployment. I hardly know any spanish but made my translations clear via my phone app. Do you know if i would need a certificate of residence or certificate of non residence, i have heard about some asking for this via the internet? Thank you very much for your help it is very much appreciated.
Hi, Danielle,

I had a non residents account with Sabadell bank when I first moved to Benidorm and all I needed was my passport and some cash!

Try the main branch in the old town, they are accommodating and speak English

Steve
Old Dec 29th 2016, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Bigmomma1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Same as above, I have a non-resident on-line account with Sabadell. You just need your Passport and an initial deposit to open the account. They will issue you with a Debit Card and PIN which you can use at any Servired ATM without charge. Download the Sabadell Banking App and you can manage your account on-line from anywhere in the World
Old Dec 29th 2016, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Maur-Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

DanielleMarie, how did you get on?
Old Dec 30th 2016, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

I have not been in branch yet to apply as i have been rather busy but i will update as soon as i have been.

Thank you all very much for you contributions.

Danielle
Old Dec 31st 2016, 1:50 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanielleMarie
Hi there, My name is Danielle and i am a british lady (20 years old). I have a british bank account & live off savings which was left to me two years ago from the sale of my fathers house when he died. I have no immediate family so i am on my own with no one to help me through these processes

I moved to Benidorm around 2 months ago and have myself an NIE number (finally), i have approached banks for a bank account and they tell me i need proof of unemployment. I Have never been employed, nor unemployed. I used to work with my father in his business but have no official forms as he just used to pay for everything for me, and in return i had to work for him. I have a british bank account with savings (which i could prove to them, if they let me) so it seems i am TOTALLY STUCK unable to prove i am UNEMPLOYED - definitely something i did not expect.

Would anybody be able to help? How do i get a bank account without all these forms..as im never going to be able to have these forms in the first place?

Kind Regards

Danielle
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary