Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Villages north of Malaga

Villages north of Malaga

Old Dec 28th 2016, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Barney jk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Villages north of Malaga

In Malaga city in January. Thinking of going to Villanueva Del trabuco to look at small village houses for sale. Initially for family holidays maybe later living there if all ok. Understand it is mostly Spanish there and would be advisable to learn Spanish. Have noticed on other forums the expat community has diminished. Does anyone still living there have any info or advice to give.? We don't have money to burn so don't want to make bad mistake. We are early 60's now. How do villagers feel about UK having holiday homes there.? Have seen footage on flooding there. Is the whole village flooded when this happens? Would really appreciate an honest feedback from someone who lives in village if any of you still living there.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Villages north of Malaga

Originally Posted by Barney jk View Post
In Malaga city in January. Thinking of going to Villanueva Del trabuco to look at small village houses for sale. Initially for family holidays maybe later living there if all ok. Understand it is mostly Spanish there and would be advisable to learn Spanish. Have noticed on other forums the expat community has diminished. Does anyone still living there have any info or advice to give.? We don't have money to burn so don't want to make bad mistake. We are early 60's now. How do villagers feel about UK having holiday homes there.? Have seen footage on flooding there. Is the whole village flooded when this happens? Would really appreciate an honest feedback from someone who lives in village if any of you still living there.

Don't know the place well but why that area in general if you are worried about flooding etc.? Quick look and it seems expensive, you are far from coast and doesn't seem to have anything that other areas in Spain don't have. The river goes right through the town, so always a risk of flooding.

Unless you have family there, thousands of other villages can probably offer you more for your money without the worry of flooding.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

You would not be disappointed by looking at the villages of the Sierra de las Nieves... no more than an hour max driving from the airport and beaches, buses not bad either.

Spain

Last edited by casa del sol; Dec 28th 2016 at 2:49 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both for your answers. From where I live in scotland the only airports easy to get to in Spain are Malaga or Alicante. I chose that village as only 40 mins from Malaga and reasonably priced taxi transfers to there. Unless I was living there I do not wish to have to drive from airport. I did see on internet some renovated properties that looked nice that were under €50000. As I looked into area more I read about recent and past floods there and in a lot of other areas also including coast. One forum I found said if you lived higher up in village it wasn't a problem. I lived in moraira on Costa Blanca many years ago when I was much younger and in different circumstances. I always thought one day i would like to go back. I am 63 now and i think i would like to spend long holidays there and consider if I would like to live there. Villanueva Del trabuco seems to have enough going on with enough amenities. I was hoping someone who lives there may be able to give me a good idea what it is like. I shall look at any villages that are not difficult to get to. Silly it may sound but I am not confident enough to drive in Spain on next visit. Any info about other areas will be welcome. Many thanks.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for your answers. From where I live in scotland the only airports easy to get to in Spain are Malaga or Alicante. I chose that village as only 40 mins from Malaga and reasonably priced taxi transfers to there. Unless I was living there I do not wish to have to drive from airport. I did see on internet some renovated properties that looked nice that were under €50000. As I looked into area more I read about recent and past floods there and in a lot of other areas also including coast. One forum I found said if you lived higher up in village it wasn't a problem. I lived in moraira on Costa Blanca many years ago when I was much younger and in different circumstances. I always thought one day i would like to go back. I am 63 now and i think i would like to spend long holidays there and consider if I would like to live there. Villanueva Del trabuco seems to have enough going on with enough amenities. I was hoping someone who lives there may be able to give me a good idea what it is like. I shall look at any villages that are not difficult to get to. Silly it may sound but I am not confident enough to drive in Spain on next visit. Any info about other areas will be welcome. Many thanks.
But then again, you could maybe fly from a different airport in the UK with flights to other parts of Spain. Even if you have to spend a bit more on travel, it still might be better than paying thousands on a property that gets flooded.

I'm sure there are plenty of parts that don't get flooded either. Just saying that if you don't have any specific reason, there are loads of other towns/villages to look at. I'm not retired and only bought as an investment with an outlook to maybe spend more time there when I retire one day.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Villages north of Malaga

Originally Posted by Moses2013 View Post
But then again, you could maybe fly from a different airport in the UK with flights to other parts of Spain. Even if you have to spend a bit more on travel, it still might be better than paying thousands on a property that gets flooded.

I'm sure there are plenty of parts that don't get flooded either. Just saying that if you don't have any specific reason, there are loads of other towns/villages to look at. I'm not retired and only bought as an investment with an outlook to maybe spend more time there when I retire one day.

Thank you. Did you choose a village or holiday resort.? Do you know of any popular villages not far from airports. I shall look for other places again. Possibly near Faro airport. I haven't been able to find anything renovated for that price but I shall keep looking. Best wishes and hope you can retire soon and spend more time in sun. 😊
Old Dec 29th 2016, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you. Did you choose a village or holiday resort.? Do you know of any popular villages not far from airports. I shall look for other places again. Possibly near Faro airport. I haven't been able to find anything renovated for that price but I shall keep looking. Best wishes and hope you can retire soon and spend more time in sun. 😊

I bought between Lloret and Vidreres. The place is called Aiguaviva Parc and is a very quiet area with deatched houses around 10 minutes from town. Thanks for the wishes but still a very long time and to be honest I'm pretty happy in Ireland and not too focused on Spain full time, or let's say permanent sun.

I suppose between October until March/April would be a good option, or whenever it suits but I kind of try and avoid the place from May onwards, as too crowded for my liking and I do like being near the coast.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Bigmomma1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We live just one hour South of Malaga on the Coast but on a hill just 15 minutes walk to the Beach and half an hour to main town with all facilities. Look around Estepona, lots of lovely villages and towns in the Mountains within half an hour of Beaches. That area will give you the Choice of two Airports, Malaga (40 minutes max) or Gibraltar (40 mins max). There are buses that go from La Linea (just across road from Gibraltar Airport) to Estepona & Malaga on a regular basis.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Maur-Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

See where the trains go to from both Malaga stations. Get on and off. Stay a couple of days at the ones you like best. But beware of train timetable. If you are looking for a large towm Antequerea is great.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for your helpful advice.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 1:50 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary