Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Online British Expat Supermarkets, do you use them??

Online British Expat Supermarkets, do you use them??

Old Jan 14th 2012, 9:05 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online British Expat Supermarkets, do you use them??

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I live near to Valencia city and there are no Brit shops anywhere near me.

Rosemary
I live near to Granada city and there are no Brit shops anywhere near me.

Who needs Brit shops ??
Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Well I've just made two trips back to the UK in the last two months....
I was horrified by the price of food in the supermarkets there!
The only way you could buy cheaper there is if you go for the buy one get one free offers...which I don't!

I my opinion there is no opening in the market for any more British shops, we can already get almost anything we could possibly desire.
Another thing is that although newcomers here may long for British foods that soon wears off, Spanish food is so much better and healthier and much more in tune with the climate than the stodgy foods so loved in the UK.
Cannot really agree - where we are you cannot get fresh veg in a restaurant for love or money. Just open a tin or bottle and put it on the plate. Plus it all gets very monotonous after a few years.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
Tex please note I said "food and fashion".
I have bought ready meals, but they seemed too small for my big appetite, but that isnt the problem in food, its the stuff they bring in at great expense from all over the world to a "supermarket near you".
I have seen so much sitting there on the shelf with only a day left on the sale by date and think about the waste - especially when there are so many people going hungry. We need more essentials and less luxury - especially if it means importing at cost to the £.

Fashion nowadays is decided by youngsters in offices whose taste depends on where they went on holiday this summer. The likes of high street shops stuffed full of clothing that most people actually don't buy, even in the sales, is another example. Whats the use of skimpy shorts, skirts and blouses to a woman in freezing UK, especially when the only sizes are 2 sizes less than she can get on ?/
Most high street fashion is female orientated, even my local Boots had more space given over to nappies or lunchtime sandwiches than to mens products.
Having just come back from a fruitless search for a decent dress for going out in the evening I would agree. I tried five dresses on in Zara and couldn´t fit in to any of them and they were all large..........I am a UK 12. So depressing ended up buying a frying pan instead!
Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

I live near to Granada city and there are no Brit shops anywhere near me.

Who needs Brit shops ??
They are very useful when you run out of Ryvita.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:49 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Why not just cut up any old cardboard box

For variety, they come in different colours (white or brown)
Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:51 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Having just come back from a fruitless search for a decent dress for going out in the evening I would agree. I tried five dresses on in Zara and couldn´t fit in to any of them and they were all large..........I am a UK 12. So depressing ended up buying a frying pan instead!
did it fit ?
and since when did Zara sell frying pans?

remember it is volume not calory count, which is why Zara don't stock your size

always found that C&A have generous cut to their clothes but not always to everyone's style
Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Why not just cut up any old cardboard box

For variety, they come in different colours (white or brown)
I can see one at the other end of the study which is Green
but then it also says Pampers on it - for some reason they use tri-wall boxes and very useful for packing
Old Jan 14th 2012, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Cannot really agree - where we are you cannot get fresh veg in a restaurant for love or money. Just open a tin or bottle and put it on the plate. Plus it all gets very monotonous after a few years.
You must be eating in the wrong places then, having visited your area a few times I know there are some superb eating establishments!
Old Jan 14th 2012, 2:45 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I know a super one in cádiz, can't remember it's name although I could take you there Generally though I agree about the veg...if you get any at all that is! Have found the sloppy slimy ones out of a jar spoil a decent salad. Most spanish restaurans are all the same, never changed their menus for a decade or more, pork and pork etc. The only difference is when you pay over about 50 euro per head....even then you will be lucky to get any veg. This goes for inland, all the coasts.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I live near to Valencia city and there are no Brit shops anywhere near me.

Rosemary
It had one the first. M&S.
It closed some years ago when it pulled out of Europe.

The way Iceland (overseas) is expanding you will be getting one soon.

In the Uk Polish shops are opening up so why not Uk shops in Spain.
I cannot see the point myself but if they provide a service why not?
Old Jan 14th 2012, 4:57 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
It had one the first. M&S.
It closed some years ago when it pulled out of Europe.

The way Iceland (overseas) is expanding you will be getting one soon.

In the Uk Polish shops are opening up so why not Uk shops in Spain.
I cannot see the point myself but if they provide a service why not?
You're dead right - Iceland wouldn't open so many shops if there wasn't a demand for them.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 4:59 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
With Iceland, M&S, Carrefour, Mercadona and many other supermarkets having shops and selling British food and products in Spain, no, there is no need for any other method of buying food IMO - Spanish food in the main is much better anyway

Jo xxx

In your opinion

I have never used online shopping in either Spain or the UK, so can't comment on that.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 6:07 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I know a super one in cádiz, can't remember it's name although I could take you there Generally though I agree about the veg...if you get any at all that is! Have found the sloppy slimy ones out of a jar spoil a decent salad. Most spanish restaurans are all the same, never changed their menus for a decade or more, pork and pork etc. The only difference is when you pay over about 50 euro per head....even then you will be lucky to get any veg. This goes for inland, all the coasts.
We tend to do "English" servings of veg to acompany the meats.

Spanish people do not eachmuch veg at all.

Greens such as cabbage and "grelos" (dont know the English word) are eaten in a particular dish, or not at all.

Cauliflower is eaten with salted cod, otherwise most people dont eat it.

When I first went to UK I was shocked at the amount of veg English people eat, hated it at first,but now would not be without it.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

jamiest is an unknown quantity at this point

We have an Iceland in Javea and Benissa, both a good way from us so we only call in on rare occasions, usually combined with half a day at the beach and a good meal in Javea. Spanish food is fine and vegetables can always be found in the small 'Fruterias' that seem to abound almost everywhere. They're always fresher than those in the supermarkets and a lot cheaper.

If we plan an Iceland trip we can run the freezer down for a couple of weeks before and then make the trip worthwhile, I have to admit I prefer English sausages.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

did it fit ?
and since when did Zara sell frying pans?

remember it is volume not calory count, which is why Zara don't stock your size

always found that C&A have generous cut to their clothes but not always to everyone's style
Nope, but did fit the steak lovely. Three ryvita with chilli humous delicious.

How can large be small?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.