Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Online British Expat Supermarkets, do you use them??

Online British Expat Supermarkets, do you use them??

Old Dec 28th 2011, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Welshy12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Online British Expat Supermarkets, do you use them??

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if you use any of these on line 'supermarkets' such as British corner shop ect as I'm looking into setting a similar sort of service, but their prices really are high :| so does any one actually use these sort of services and is there any items you find really difficult to get hold of in Spain that are common in the UK?

Thanks in advance !
Old Dec 28th 2011, 10:01 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online British Expat Supermarkets, do you use them??

With Iceland, M&S, Carrefour, Mercadona and many other supermarkets having shops and selling British food and products in Spain, no, there is no need for any other method of buying food IMO - Spanish food in the main is much better anyway

Jo xxx
Old Dec 28th 2011, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I could see this might work in somewhere like Albania but I really do not see where the market is in Spain.
We can source almost anything we might require locally in Spain in the supermarkets and markets.
Perhaps that may be because we are in a town that has a number of supermarkets that stock some Uk branded goods. We also do not see the need to buy Uk branded products.
We do bring over loose leaf tea from the UK but nothing else although tea bags are readily available as an alternative.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 10:17 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The idea of British corner shops doesn't work any more, all the British items are for sale in Aldi, Lidl, Carrefour, Consum, Mercadona, Plus etc and you could never compete with their prices.

The dozen or so in my immediate area have all closed down over the past few years. Save your money for another venture.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 10:26 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welshy12
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if you use any of these on line 'supermarkets' such as British corner shop ect as I'm looking into setting a similar sort of service, but their prices really are high :| so does any one actually use these sort of services and is there any items you find really difficult to get hold of in Spain that are common in the UK?

Thanks in advance !
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

I do not live anywhere near to any Brit shops but find that I can buy alternatives to most things from the Spanish shops.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Dec 28th 2011, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
The idea of British corner shops doesn't work any more, all the British items are for sale in Aldi, Lidl, Carrefour, Consum, Mercadona, Plus etc and you could never compete with their prices.

The dozen or so in my immediate area have all closed down over the past few years. Save your money for another venture.
Agreed. Plus the market has shrunk due to the number of British people returning the UK either because of the lack of work or the effect of the fall in the value of sterling v the euro on pensions.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 11:52 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Agreed. Plus the market has shrunk due to the number of British people returning the UK either because of the lack of work or the effect of the fall in the value of sterling v the euro on pensions.
Is this still happening, is it very evident in areas where a lot of Brits have settled? We have no idea at all apart from looking things up on the internet as we do not see or hear Brits around us.

Rosemary
Old Dec 28th 2011, 12:14 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it's still happening.

We live in the campo and (used to) have a number of brits within the local area - lots have gone back and a load more are going back early next year.

I can probably count the number who do NOT have their houses on the market on one hand!
Old Dec 28th 2011, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't buy any food on line at all. I doubt you could compete price wise, I see a lot of briish foods in the supermarkets even where I normally live which not the costas. Here in the mountains the nearest town is awash with food from all corners of the world it seems.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 12:58 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

last week my local butchers was turning out whole chickens at €1.99/kg, homemade burgers €3.90/kg (4 weighed 510g). A large leg & breast section of turkey was €3.20/kg, panceta trozo €3.10/kg, chuletero €3.75

at these prices I really don't see what we need to buy of a UK nature.
we have had discussions on here about home made gravy and other things.
many expats say they take an empty suitcase home and return with it full, but then that costs them £40, so have they really saved anything to get their fix of Blighty. Perhaps the only thing the Spanish don't have where I am is Fairy washing up liquid, so you won't get rich off that.
And with a C&A down the road that we can't get into due to the Spanish queueing to get in.

of all the things the British expats and the Spanish, who enjoy a little bit of UK product - espcially chocolate - don't need it is another "shop" selling dusty out of date tins of UK products. Especially online, as discussed on another thread, the cost of postage in Spain is quite high compared with the UK.

sorry but this is my Bannatyne moment - I don't see a business so I am out !!

Old Dec 28th 2011, 1:14 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately I doubt it would work, the costs would be too high and you can buy English food at most Ex pat car boots.

Iceland is absolutely stocked to the hilt with scrumptious stuff too
Old Dec 28th 2011, 1:15 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
last week my local butchers was turning out whole chickens at €1.99/kg, homemade burgers €3.90/kg (4 weighed 510g). A large leg & breast section of turkey was €3.20/kg, panceta trozo €3.10/kg, chuletero €3.75

at these prices I really don't see what we need to buy of a UK nature.
we have had discussions on here about home made gravy and other things.
many expats say they take an empty suitcase home and return with it full, but then that costs them £40, so have they really saved anything to get their fix of Blighty. Perhaps the only thing the Spanish don't have where I am is Fairy washing up liquid, so you won't get rich off that.
And with a C&A down the road that we can't get into due to the Spanish queueing to get in.

of all the things the British expats and the Spanish, who enjoy a little bit of UK product - espcially chocolate - don't need it is another "shop" selling dusty out of date tins of UK products. Especially online, as discussed on another thread, the cost of postage in Spain is quite high compared with the UK.

sorry but this is my Bannatyne moment - I don't see a business so I am out !!

no Fairy washing up liquid???
Mercadona have it & as it's advertised on tele I figured it must be widely available
Old Dec 28th 2011, 1:44 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the opposite. I'm temporarily in the UK and I'm coming back to spain shortly and will be bringing an empty suitcase for my Spanish fixes of decent washing up liquid, cleaners, washing powder, fly spray, crab salad, biscuits, tinned tuna, pain au chocolate, sin azucar chocolate.... and so many other things from Mercadona. the quality and the prices are just so much better than the rubbish in the UK!

Jo xxxx
Old Dec 28th 2011, 1:46 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
no Fairy washing up liquid???
Mercadona have it & as it's advertised on tele I figured it must be widely available
sorry, the BH has corrected me on that.............
although a non-uk size (?) it is available in AlCampo as well just slightly dearer but still cheaper than travelling on RyanAir.

rgds
Old Dec 28th 2011, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
I'm the opposite. I'm temporarily in the UK and I'm coming back to spain shortly and will be bringing an empty suitcase for my Spanish fixes of decent washing up liquid, cleaners, washing powder, fly spray, crab salad, biscuits, tinned tuna, pain au chocolate, sin azucar chocolate.... and so many other things from Mercadona. the quality and the prices are just so much better than the rubbish in the UK!

Jo xxxx
Jo don't tell the Spain Doom and Gloomers - they would never believe you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.