Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Oliva anyone there???

Oliva anyone there???

Old Sep 9th 2012, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

LavenderGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Oliva anyone there???

Hi I have used the forum a long time ago when we first moved to Spain, and it was invaluable - we are down on the Costa Calida near Puerto de Mazzaron and are thinking of a move up along the coast. We like the look of Oliva and just wondered if anyone lives there/near there or has any knowledge of what it is like? I know everyone has different views on places, but just any general comments as we have never been up that far would be so helpful.

Thank you lovely people x
Old Sep 10th 2012, 6:01 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oliva anyone there???

Originally Posted by LavenderGirl
Hi I have used the forum a long time ago when we first moved to Spain, and it was invaluable - we are down on the Costa Calida near Puerto de Mazzaron and are thinking of a move up along the coast. We like the look of Oliva and just wondered if anyone lives there/near there or has any knowledge of what it is like? I know everyone has different views on places, but just any general comments as we have never been up that far would be so helpful.

Hi LG - I love Oliva - we've holidayed there a couple of times - a certain distinguished gentleman lives there and I'm sure he will be along soon to fill you in - good luck and welcome back xxxxx
Old Sep 10th 2012, 6:33 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
a certain distinguished gentleman lives there and I'm sure he will be along soon to fill you in - good luck and welcome back xxxxx
me....?
distinguished???

oh spose you mean Mitzyboy....
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:04 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As you already know the forum from past use I will not give you the normal newbie welcome and simply say welcome back and hope that you will stay and join in with discussions.

I personally love Oliva as a place to visit but would find it to busy for me to live in as I prefer to live in a smaller more compact place, however living on the outskirts or very nearby would be wonderful. My husband and I stayed in Oliva when we came to look for a house, he wanted to move there but I was resistant due purely to the size of it but I liked the way it felt, the people were friendly, the place has a feeling of liveliness and it has great shops and a large weekly market.

Rosemary
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:08 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
me....?
distinguished???

since when have ponytails been distinguished
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Kenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond repute

We first holidayed in Oliva in 2007 and loved it from the word go. Went back several times and said we'd like to move there when we retired. But then we realised the steep hills of the old town would prove a problem (we both have mobility problems now, dread to think in a few years). So we looked at neighbouring villages which were flatter and were lucky this year to be able to buy in L'Alqueria de la Comtessa, 5 minutes away. Oliva is a lovely place, big enough to have all the facilities you'd want but small enough to feel friendly. There's a large-ish ex-pat community but it never feels anything other than Spanish. And then there are the lovely beaches, mile after mile of them. Come join us, the water's lovely!
Old Sep 10th 2012, 5:15 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
me....?
distinguished???

Of course - you have to keep in with the management xxxxx

Originally Posted by lynnxa

since when have ponytails been distinguished
P45 in the post i think for you young lady
Old Sep 10th 2012, 5:45 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, yes .. although not distinguished in any way or form, I am actually nearby ..... what would you like to know?

Originally Posted by Kenwoodlad
We first holidayed in Oliva in 2007 and loved it from the word go. Went back several times and said we'd like to move there when we retired. But then we realised the steep hills of the old town would prove a problem (we both have mobility problems now, dread to think in a few years). So we looked at neighbouring villages which were flatter and were lucky this year to be able to buy in L'Alqueria de la Comtessa, 5 minutes away. Oliva is a lovely place, big enough to have all the facilities you'd want but small enough to feel friendly. There's a large-ish ex-pat community but it never feels anything other than Spanish. And then there are the lovely beaches, mile after mile of them. Come join us, the water's lovely!
Do you know Carol & Tony from there?

I understand what you say about steep hills in the old town, but Oliva is split into three parts, Old Town, the centre, and the playa .. so its not all hilly :-)

Aloso, it seems construction of the ring road may have started, so that busy road that splits the old town and the centre may be gone soon
Old Sep 10th 2012, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Kenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Do you know Carol & Tony from there?
We're still part-time ex-pats. The past 9 months have been spent whizzing across to throw money at various builders and painters and electricians so not had a chance yet to get to know anyone apart from the workmen.

I understand what you say about steep hills in the old town, but Oliva is split into three parts, Old Town, the centre, and the playa .. so its not all hilly :-)
Yes, we know all the bits but it was the Old Town we fell in love with. Still like to go there when we come across on visits.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kenwoodlad
That sums it up nicely.
We are in the lowest part of the old town so more or less on the level but it is a bit steep as you go up into the old town. Location in the old town is also important as some parts are better than others like any other town.
Outside of the old town and around Oliva there are all types of property to suit whatever you like.
There is so much choice between Oliva and Gandia, another great town.
We love the place.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Aloso, it seems construction of the ring road may have started, so that busy road that splits the old town and the centre may be gone soon
Are you sure? I thought it had been put off until 2024 along with the rail extension from Gandia!
Old Sep 10th 2012, 6:23 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Are you sure? I thought it had been put off until 2024 along with the rail extension from Gandia!
Look along side the motorway just past Rafelcoffer ...... Unless it's something else we dont know about :-)
A whole new section is being dug out
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Look along side the motorway just past Rafelcoffer ...... Unless it's something else we dont know about :-)
A whole new section is being dug out
I am not sure and hope I am wrong as a bypass would be great but I think those works may be a flood relief channel.

Back to the original post, I am over this week and the town seems to be riding out the recession without too much trouble. Perhaps it's my rose tinted specs. and the weather.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 8:00 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I am not sure and hope I am wrong as a bypass would be great but I think those works may be a flood relief channel.

Back to the original post, I am over this week and the town seems to be riding out the recession without too much trouble. Perhaps it's my rose tinted specs. and the weather.
Hmm ... flood relief ... Would be in the wrong place though
Yes, Oliva on the surface seems to be doing well, but it's really difficult to tell overall
Old Sep 11th 2012, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sort of related to the thread.
I recall someone asking about cycle hire some time ago. Costa Azahar Properties have started hire bikes for 7 euros a day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.