Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The old question Gibraltar or Spain?

The old question Gibraltar or Spain?

Old Jun 3rd 2015, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

chickita is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The old question Gibraltar or Spain?

Hello

My husband and I are relocating to work in Gibraltar at the end of the month. We have a few questions for you.

1. How bad is the border crossing? If we live in Spain will we meet trouble each day. If we live in Gibraltar how easy is it to get to Spain at the weekend?

2. Will we have to pay tax in Spain if we work in Gibraltar?

3. Which apartment blocks are good for residents to live in in Gibraltar we have heard that in some of them tourists can be a bit full on. We would like a pool and a sea view and 2 bedrooms.

Many thanks
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The old question Gibraltar or Spain?

Hi chikita

1) How long is a piece of string? It's so variable that it's hard say, but I am glad I no longer commute. However at the weekend you have more time and less pressure.

2) Yes

3) I have no knowledge of tourist problems in residential blocks, but that does not mean it doesn't happen.
....2 bedrooms with a sea view and pool, very sort after, what's your budget.

Property to Rent in Gibraltar | Rentals Gibraltar | Apartment to rent Gibraltar | Rental Properties Gibraltar
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 8:17 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chickita
Hello

My husband and I are relocating to work in Gibraltar at the end of the month. We have a few questions for you.

1. How bad is the border crossing? If we live in Spain will we meet trouble each day. If we live in Gibraltar how easy is it to get to Spain at the weekend?

2. Will we have to pay tax in Spain if we work in Gibraltar?

3. Which apartment blocks are good for residents to live in in Gibraltar we have heard that in some of them tourists can be a bit full on. We would like a pool and a sea view and 2 bedrooms.

Many thanks
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 4th 2015, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Hi

Thanks for the reply our budget is £1500 - £2000 for an apartment.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for the reply our budget is £1500 - £2000 for an apartment.
You should be able to meet your requirements within that budget.

Trawl through the following link to find ones with swimming pools

Property to Rent in Gibraltar | Rentals Gibraltar | Apartment to rent Gibraltar | Rental Properties Gibraltar

Remember in Gib you do not need a car although one is useful for the weekends.
Old Jun 7th 2015, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Does anybody have any views on living in Ocean Village? We have heard that it can be pretty full on with tourists.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Does anybody have any views on living in Ocean Village? We have heard that it can be pretty full on with tourists.
I'm not sure where you get the tourist idea from?

Gibraltar has a lot of day visitors but a small number of overnight tourists.

Ocean Village has got the greatest density of pubs and restaurants in Gibraltar and it is not unusual for there to be lots of noise in the evenings, extending to 6 am or so at the weekends.

However this affects flats overlooking the marina side and I would imagine the Rock facing flats are much quieter.

I had a flat in Watergardens which also overlooks Ocean Village so I speak from experience. Also Marina Bay,Marina Court and Portland House overlook the marina.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Hello there!

I would be interested to see if you get any more responses to this in addition to the very helpful response you have already had. Perhaps there are not many Gib/Spanish commuters registered on this site, or perhaps it is an age old question that everyone has asked a million times before. :-)

I would like to know if there are more pros and cons of either option too. There must be more to it than whether you want to commute and risk a delayed border crossing versus being prepared to pay higher rental prices. I would have thought there would be cultural differences too.

Good luck with it all....would be good to know how you are getting on once you have relocated.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

I just found this rather 'interesting' thread...although it was some time ago.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...region-580390/
Old Jun 9th 2015, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Anna Collins1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I live about an hour from Gib and go there 2 or 3 times a year generally to visit a friend. Weekends are generally quieter and there is less traffic crossing the border which means fewer delays.

On any week day morning you can sit in traffic for anything up to an hour sometimes, don't forget the airport runway crosses over the frontier so if there are planes coming in or taking off which invariably there are, they stop people crossing until clear.

I find its best to leave before 4pm as any time after and again you could be sat there for an hour or more. Lots of people come in and out on foot, so parking on the spanish side or on motorbikes which speeds up time.

Living in spain is a lot cheaper than in Gib but as you have a healthy budget you won't find any problems finding a place in Gib. Ocean village is very nice, part of the newer developments, they have a communal pool and there's a gym, not sure if you live there you get free access however.

It all depends on whether you mind having a bit of a commute and dealing with order issues or whether you want to live on the rock with its limitations.

Best off going to have a good look around and see some apartments before you decide.