Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Offshore worker

Offshore worker

Old Jan 27th 2023, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

Alan0395 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Offshore worker looking to move from UK

Hi everyone, so I'm debating the move to Spain. Any advice people could give me on the process, any potential Hurdles etc would be appreciated. I'm also not quite sure about how the tax would work

I work 3 weeks on 3 weeks off offshore in the UK so in terms of visas I'd be fine for the 90 day put of 180, however, I believe I'd need to apply for residency to be able to rent somewhere?

Another idea I had was to rent an air b&b for my 3 weeks off, that way i wouldnt need residency? Would just be a hassle with what to do with my stuff (I don't have much anyway).

Buying isnt something I would be considering at this stage.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by Alan0395; Jan 27th 2023 at 11:16 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2023, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offshore worker

If you are only staying for 90 days per 180 you do not need a visa nor will you need to be a resident. You will simply be a tourist. You can remain a UK resident paying your tax there. If you extend beyond 90 then you will possibly be subject to a fine and prevention from entering spain in future.
You will need address in uk and be registered for uk tax as you don't want spain to be your home as then it gets more complicated

Last edited by Ronnyone; Jan 28th 2023 at 6:37 am.
Old Jan 28th 2023, 7:02 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

"I believe I'd need to apply for residency to be able to rent somewhere?"
Where did you get that info?
Old Jan 28th 2023, 7:21 am
Just Joined

Alan0395 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by missile
"I believe I'd need to apply for residency to be able to rent somewhere?"
Where did you get that info?
A friends who's previously lived in Spain before Brexit. He wasn't sure but thought that might be the case.

I've read different things when doing the standard Google search. Like you can rent for 3 months as a tourist, or that you can build prove of earnings etc without being a resident. It's hard to find definitive information.
Old Jan 28th 2023, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

As Ronnyone says - you will just be a tourist - albeit staying a bit longer than the typical package holiday one.

Keep your eye on passport regs - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...rts-and-travel

For more info on longer stays/buying/residency etc

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain

https://www.pellicerheredia.com/en/open-library/

Old Jan 28th 2023, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing whatsoever to prevent you renting a property for as long as you liked, the one and only thing which matters is sticking rigidly to that 90 day rule.

If you're a PAYE employee working in the UK offshore sector you have no choice in where you pay tax, it's UK. That would continue to apply even if you did decide to become Spanish resident.

You're already 'registered for UK tax' and the only reason HMRC would want an address is for correspondence and that could be in Spain if you wished.