Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Off plan on Los Calabrie, Islas Canela

Off plan on Los Calabrie, Islas Canela

Old Aug 23rd 2022, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

christine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant future
Question Off plan on Los Calabrie, Islas Canela

Hi everyone,
Many moons ago we were buying on Costa Esuri. Didn’t happen for reasons I won’t bore you all with. We are now considering an off plan option at Los Calabrie, due to complete 2024
Is there any one on the development already around Isla Canela golf club who could give us insights into community life there. Or any one who can inform us of what life is like on CE as an alternative option to ICG
Thanks in advance
Christine
Old Aug 23rd 2022, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off plan on Los Calabrie, Islas Canela

I bought off plan and to be honest it was a nightmare - I would never do it again. Totally up to you of course but is it really worth the risk especially if there are other options.
Old Aug 23rd 2022, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

I concur with Spain rico. Avoid buying off plan. There is too much to go wrong between here and 2024. We all know about Martinsa Fadesa and look what a mess that was. The world economy does not look good currently and until the invasion of Ukraine is sorted we are all effected by the price of energy which governs everything from making concrete, bricks or aluminium frames etc. If the developer gets into problems / difficulties your deposit could be a risk and it might never get finished. I bought a brand new off plan house on the costa blanca over twenty years ago. Good reputation developer, but poor quality build, We got stitched up on the communal swimming pool, problems getting a proper electrical supply, damp problems etc etc. Sold after five years. By contrast our Marina Esuri duplex is much better built and the purchase took only about six weeks. Not much to go wrong really and we remain pleased with it. That said it would be nice to see CE completed. Ie. the shops and hotel. I presume that they will either get demolished OR finished, but that's anyone's guess and possibly not in my lifetime ???
If you are risk averse then buy something already built or brand new but finished. Good luck !!
Old Aug 23rd 2022, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just another thought Christina.......... We bought on CE primarily to get some winter sunshine. On our south facing terrace I can comfortably sunbathe in shorts for several hours a day even in January / february. Try that down near the beach at Isla Canela and you will find your terrace is too cool that time of year because of the cold sea breeze. Okay, if you are buying for mainly summer use as the sea beeze is obviously welcomed when its 35c. It's something else to think about !. Also, almost nothing is open in winter apart from a couple of chiringitos.
Old Aug 23rd 2022, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

christine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant future

Thank you all for the input. We had considered the looming recession, it’s like de ja vous as that affected our decision not to proceed before.
Is CE a vibrant,well maintained community now as when we were last looking it was quite quiet ?
We would not be using the apartment July/August to avoid the influx of people at those times, plus very hot to golf. Hadn’t considered the heat variance in winter so that’s useful to know.We will have to do some due diligence re bank bonds etc. but I get what you are saying re the risks.
Old Aug 23rd 2022, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Kayann is an unknown quantity at this point

We have owned in one of the Isla Canela Golf neighbourhoods for many years and use it in the autumn and spring. Make sure to get the right location and orientation for the sun if you want year round enjoyment. The advantage of ICG is that it is midway between the beach and town, with a cycle route going in both directions and a regular daytime bus service. 45 minute walk to town and 13.00 bus back! There is no golf club as such but a membership of the golf course does give you access to the Guadiana Links at Costa Esuri as well. The golf at IC is mainly focussed on the hotel and its guests, which can cause frustrations with tee times and organising golf groups. The golf club house reopened again earlier this year and some people use it as a social meeting place. There is the opportunity to play bowls in a regular group. I agree with the previous comments re. new builds. Have a look at the second hand market. Good luck as you move on with your plans.
Old Aug 23rd 2022, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi again Christine. We bought a six year old never been lived in duplex in 2014. I would say that CE is well maintained in terms of the roads, pavements, verges etc, but vibrant - not really. We only have the golf house for food and drink unless you include the former bread shop that is a kind of cafe nowadays. We have a Coviran minimarket and a nice little pharmacy but that's it. Nearest restos are the Tres Cruces ( formerly the Argentinian steak house) near the petrol station on the hill or over in Monte Francisco there is the "Bordello" or the new Mysterios resto. You do have to drive. !!
Old Aug 23rd 2022, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree with others not to buy off plan. Even when you are local and speak the language it can be challenge, so imagine when it goes wrong. Unfortunately building standards are not always the best in Spain. Is it this development? https://www.idealista.com/obra-nueva/98236068/
Old Aug 23rd 2022, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gosh . I just checked out the idealista advert. Wow, 330.000 euros for a 3 bed apartment 140m2. That does seem a lot of money when you can currently buy a duplex on ME same size approx for 140.000 euros. I realise that the bathrooms and kitchens on ME need updating to compare with new but even if you spent 20K on having these done and redecorated to new, the duplexes are a bargain by comparison. One other thing...... they are building on marshlands. Going to need some serious foundations !! However the position is quite nice halfway between town and the beach. For 330k you could buy a very nice villa ??
Old Aug 23rd 2022, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

https://www.islacanelaproperty.com/L...s-General-Plan

This is the proposed development we are considering. Are checking if there are bank guarantees in place and how & if they’d pay out if they collapsed. We have sourced an English speaking solicitor in Ayamonte too just in case we go down this route

Looking at 2 bed 2 bath with terrace & Garden 215,000€
Old Aug 25th 2022, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

chapel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
we have owned on the golf course at Isla Canela for many years, buying off plan with pryconsa with absolute no problems whatsoever.
I know a few people who have bought recently on the beach (ocean homes which is pryconsa) off plan with no issues.
There are quite a few full time residents ( we spend 7-8 months a year here) and have a lovely, safe community.
The wind is not a problem as a previous poster suggested,as we are not on the beach but the golf course, as is the development you are looking at. I know exactly where it is (not marismas) and it’s a lovely spot.
Prices have always been higher in Canela due to its location and desirability.
Property is definitely selling well and again as previously suggested, have a look at second hand options.
We are 10 mins max from town and less than 5 mins from the beach - perfect for us.
My partner is a golfer and enjoys playing at both golf courses.
We love our place here and would do it all over again.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Old Aug 26th 2022, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your replies. We are excited about the next chapter in our lives. Seems to have been a long time coming since our failed effort in 2010 that knocked the confidence out of us
We are sure our mind is now set on this with NIE’s & solicitors I’m place ready for the final few questions to be answered we have asked. We first visited. Isla Canela about 15 years ago and we loved it then and & equally so on subsequent visits. We have never found the same feeling in other parts of Spain we’ve visited and always seem to come back to IC when it comes to the where to buy question. My husband has played the course many times so is very excited at the prospect of discovering more courses and for both of us to explore further afield at our leisure.
Thanks again. Everyone, you never know we may meet one day
KR Christine
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

This might sum up the whole debate

https://expatsmagazine.org/build-hom...existing-home/
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for this it was helpful 😊
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

We have decided and have set the wheels in motion with solicitors etc. New build it is on ICG. Exciting times.
We are setting up a Spanish Bank Accounts next, does anyone have any insights or recommendations for the best or even worst there is in Ayamonte

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.